Battery Question (2 Viewers)

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
The original Gel battery in our Adria A class seems to not be holding a charge any longer, so I replaced it with a 110aH Lead Acid yesterday and hey presto the 12v system is all ok again.

However, I was looking at some documents I had downloaded today and according to them, (the motorhome has a Schaudt DT220 controller /EBL) you can replace lead acid batteries with lead gel, but not the other way round.......

Should I remove the lead acid and replace with a hugely expensive, by comparison, Lead Gel replacement? Having read many articles on Lead Gel vs Lead Acid, I am not a fan of Lead Gel and would prefer to save money where possible, but if the Lead Acid batt will damage the Schaudt panel, then obviously a Lead Gel is the only option. I did "tell" the panel about the new battery and all seemed to be working perfectly. 12v system now off, motorhome is in storage, but can go and install a new batt next weekend if needs be.

Any ideas from the very well informed amongst the Funsters?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am no expert but I would think it will be a case of changing a setting telling the charger you have gone from gel to LA - different charge rates
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Forgot to say I think gels charge at a slower rate so LA should be ok
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks Terry. Info on this is somewhat sparse- and a 110aH Gel is nearly £300 where the same size Lead Acid is about £70, so a huge price difference. Am not a fan of the Gel myself - lots of hype around it I know - but Lead Acids can last for a very long time is well conditioned and cared for, we had one in a vehicle which was well over 10 years old when it gave up eventually.

The Schaudt panel is somewhat esoteric in its function as are most things German, and the only setting I can change from the panel is the size of battery, which I have done, not the battery type. The 12v system seems quite happy and is functioning normally with the lead acid installed. I spoke to Don Amott Leisure Kingdom (van stored there) and their technician thinks it is quite ok, it was just the info I saw on the downloaded Schaudt EBL manual that said you could change from lead acid to gel, but not the other way round which made me panic slightly.

In any case, there is a "mix" of charging going on with the vehicle battery being lead acid, if you have a gel leisure battery. Perhaps its just Schaudt promoting lead gel batts. :Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Jaws posted tales of woe on gel cells. ISTR they charge to a slightly lower voltage so if yours is set to gel the a wet battery would be a touch under charged. He said loads of bikers dropped in a gel battery "because they are better" and they lasted months because of constant overcharging.

Just suck it and see.

I'm sure there will be a jumper/switch somewhere to switch Wet/Gel.

Get your meter out and find the peak/float voltages.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The selection of for Gel or Wet battery is on the main unit (where your fuses are) not done through the remote control panel.

Easy to do once you find the switch

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks Eddie, eventually found that bit in the manual for the block which I found on the net (no thanks to Adria!) Now to hunt for the EBL- I remember someone saying it was under the floor in a little locker area alongside the waterpump (!) but will go on a hunt this weekend when I can get to the storage!! :cry:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi, Van Bitz are exhibiting at the Westpoint Motorhome show this weekend, but if you get stuck or need any help email eddie@vanbitz.com and I should be bale to answer any question you may have.

It should be a little slide switch on the same side as the fuses and the multi block wires exit. On the outside edge of the top panel.

Regards

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back