Battery Query

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by FM02MZO, Jul 2, 2015.

1. FM02MZO

FM02MZO Funster

At present we have two 100AH leisure batteries in our motorhome and there is room for a third one.

Can I mix a 110/115AH leisure battery with two 100AH batteries, if so are there any drawbacks?

Secondly, can gel batteries be mixed with lead acid ones?

2. SMB

SMB Funster

My understanding about mixing the batteries is that the higher amp battery is brought down to the amp level of the lower amp battery but can be used safely. As for mixing gel and lead acid I do not know, only ever had lead acid.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Not ideal, but you can have different battery capacities in a bank ..

but do not mix Gel with Flooded lead acid .. they have different charging regimes..

• Like Like x 1
  4. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

Do not mix different technologies. Lead acid batteries can be either flooded, sealed or gel. Your battery bank should only contain one of these types. The three have different charging systems. Make sure your control panel and solar controller are set to the correct battery type.
    Mixing different sizes is ok, providing they are all in good condition. I would not mix a very old battery with a new one.

5. Zajacp

Zajacp Read Only Funster

I've just had to change a battery on my car,the bosh agent fitted a Agm battery which is supposed to be hold more a
    Charge and can be discharged down to 30% capacity with out any problems. Don't think this helps you much but may be wirth looking at in the long term