Adam goodlad

Free Member
Oct 28, 2016
Newquay
Funster No
MH
Compass drifter 360e
Exp
Hi all, I'm Adam :) recently installed 2 X power line 120ah batteries with split relay charging system ( good one) to power 60w invertor through 150w invertor (not true sine). Sometimes works fine for 4+ hours and sometimes the low power buzz and cut off happens on invertor after 30 mins when battery reads 12.9 v and should be charged. Any suggestions? Fails to power my 60w laptop charger either- same thing. Driving me mad! Need to plug van into mains to ensure battery charged 100% to test but 220ah should power this sort of appliance for hours right? And even if battery 70% or so you'd expect it to handle it right? Voltmeter reads around 10.4 when powering Proj and invertor and cuts off at around 10.1. Thanks!!!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi and Welcome
Unfortunately your first post is somewhat fractured and the terminology confusing, you seem to have two inverters and a Proj???? when batteries get as low as someof those figures indicate they are well past flat bordering on useless

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
to power 60w invertor through 150w invertor (not true sine).Thanks!!!

I can't work that out.

But 150W inverter is quite a small load and your pair of batteries should last more like 10 hours after a full charge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi and welcome to fun :)
Hi all, I'm Adam :) recently installed 2 X power line 120ah batteries with split relay charging system ( good one) to power 60w invertor through 150w invertor (not true sine). Sometimes works fine for 4+ hours and sometimes the low power buzz and cut off happens on invertor after 30 mins when battery reads 12.9 v and should be charged. Any suggestions? Fails to power my 60w laptop charger either- same thing. Driving me mad! Need to plug van into mains to ensure battery charged 100% to test but 220ah should power this sort of appliance for hours right? And even if battery 70% or so you'd expect it to handle it right? Voltmeter reads around 10.4 when powering Proj and invertor and cuts off at around 10.1. Thanks!!!

Sounds to me as if you have wired an inverter too far away from the battery bank.. or on wires that are too thin ..
Try wiring the inverter direct to the battery bank

OP
OP
A

Adam goodlad

Free Member
Oct 28, 2016
Newquay
Funster No
MH
Compass drifter 360e
Exp
Hiya, sorry I was typing in a rush- it's a 60w projector through a 150w invertor- jaws- it's 3 or 4 m of wire away from batteries and probs thin wires too- bit of this is issue why will it work on occasion? Geo- the voltage is reading full 12.7-12.9 before plunging in Proj and 10.1 when it is powering Proj.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As to why it will work sometimes.. luck I suspect !!
Move it close to the battery bank, use nice thick wires, and all should be well
Mind you, sounds like you may also have at least one battery collapsing ( and dragging the other down with it maybe )
Very hard to fully diagnose from the desk :)

OP
OP
A

Adam goodlad

Free Member
Oct 28, 2016
Newquay
Funster No
MH
Compass drifter 360e
Exp
Thanks for replies! Sorry, I was typing in a rush before. I have a 60w projector connected through a 150w invertor that's in a socket maybe 3-4m away from batteries and yes on thin wires I think jaws.. But if this is the issue, why does it work on occasion? Battery reads 12.7-12.9 when I tried it last - possibly exaggerated by surface charge after driving but even a 50-70% 220ah battery should power this for a while..could batteries be faulty? I will try wiring direct to bank..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the voltage is reading full 12.7-12.9 before plunging in Proj and 10.1 when it is powering Proj.
The projector lamp may take a huge amount of power from your batteries via the inverter when first turned on.
When a battery is heavily loaded the indicated battery voltage drops considerably....a car battery can drop to 9v when cranking but I wouldn't think the load is high enough with what you are doing.
Thin wire and long distance will cut out the inverter though....volt drop and resistance.
Inverter should be as close to the battery as possible and any distant requirement via an extension lead.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back