Battery problem?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by rangitira, Aug 3, 2014.

1. rangitira

rangitira Funster

My Vehicle Batt. went flat, it is 2 1/4 years old, at first, I hooked up the charger while it was still in situ. It would not except the charge. I removed it to the W/shop and it excepted the charge. It's been hooked up to the charger now since friday 1300hrs and is still not showing that it has finished charging.
    Question; Is this usual? It's never taken this long before, and the charger was one of the best around when I bought it 2 years ago.

Or, is the battery clegged? (like Nick, buggered?)

I don't have a tester

2. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Plenty of advice about batteries all over the forum, search "batteries".

But as a start, how long was the battery discharged? The longer it's left the less chance of it being able to recover, even with the very best of chargers. 2 years is not old for a modern battery unless it's been abused.

Also, if it isn't a sealed unit, check the electrolyte levels. If one is down you could have a duff cell which would cause your problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rangitira

rangitira Funster

It's a sealed unit, can't really say how long it's been discharged, but after what seemed years:( but last night about 1700hrs I noticed the monitor was showing it was fully charged, Back in the vehicle today, am keeping a watchful eye on it:) Panic over(y)

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

have a drop test done on it . if passing through roche i can do it for you . free .
    but many garages can do it . best just after a good charge .