Battery not holding charge?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by batchpatch, Mar 30, 2011.

1. batchpatch

batchpatch Read Only Funster

Hi

Advice required please. Last week end visited a CL site 80 miles away from home arrived at 6.30 set up turned on blow air heating and a few led lights
    after aproximatly 45 mins I noticed that the batterys were showing 12.3.I know that the fan on the blow air uses about 1-2 amps but this reading alarmed me I have two 110amp elecsol batterys only 1 year old and solar panels to 170 watts I checked the terminals on batters and they are fine
    would any one have any advice as Im totaly lost when it comes to electricals/batterys.:thumb:

2. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

It would be a help if you told us what happened next, batchpatch ... what happened 'after approximately 45 mins'? Presumably you didn't abandon the trip and return home? Did you finish up without any power for the rest of your stay or did everything continue to work OK despite your worry over the 12.3v reading?

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

In our RV, the heater fans would really hammer the batteries, I would look at our battery monitor and panic thinking that we would be out of juice in a few moments, very often the monitor would then stick at the low reading of say 12.3 and continue to work well. Then 20 minutes after the heating is switched off the reading would recover and the batteries would then climb back up to 12.6 or so before the solar panels could get to work on them in the morning.

I know nothing about electrickery, but maybe its difficult to get an accurate reading when batteries are under load.

4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

What does not help is that most on board voltage read outs are connected well away from the the actual battery(s).

So what I hear you ask !

Well with current being drawn over a long (ish ) run or barely 'up to it' wire, you get a false reading.. A couple of points seems to be about the norm.. So your 12.2 reading might actually have been 12.4 ( or even more ! )

Yes, I know that things should not ne like tghis, but with everything built to a price instead of a need nowadays, I am afraid it does happen, and happen often.

Oh and as Jim said, the fans do give the battery one hellova hit !

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

As Squire says it would be a help to know what happened next. The volt meter in our van is fairly rudimentary and will often read around 12.3 when something drawing power (e.g. water pump) is switched on. Once it is switched off, though, the meter goes back to showing 12.5 or more.

6. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Yep ours is the same both on the van panel and the solar regulator. Same as when charging batts show 14.4 when not charging 13.4/5. :thumb:

7. batchpatch

batchpatch Read Only Funster

Hi

After the 12.3 reading I turned the heating off and went out. On return 2-3 hours later the reading had recovered a little to 12.5
    Regards
    Batchpatch

8. EJB

EJB Read Only Funster

12.3 on load and 12.5 resting..........I don't see a problem here!!!!:Smile: