LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
This looks intersting, did you add this as an extra to your MH? how easy is it to wire in to a vehicle with multiple batteries?
May look at getting one myself.

Another vote for the Victron monitor,

Broken Link Removed

Battery shunt with connection for monitor, grey lead which plugs into the rear of the monitor.

And if you are really lazy you can get a bluetooth dongle and monitor everything on your phone

IMG_0132%20Large.jpg

IMG_0134%20Large.png

IMG_0135%20Large.png

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Add me to the list of happy Victron users(y)

I also fitted mine myself following the very easy instructions and due to me using the Bluetooth dongle with iPhone app, I've placed the monitor out of site near to the battery bank making the install even simpler;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well I had no idea what mine was until I saw the pictures.. apparently it is a Victron as well !( bought it off Don Quixote who, after I installed it, assisted with the set set up to save me reading the book ! )

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Agree the £12.50 one sounds iffy. I recently fitted a battery monitor and had a good look at what was available in the market place. IMO the Victron is the dogs bolli**s. However, i was put off because I did not want to drill a hole in the Hab area and possible have difficulty hiding cables going to the display unit.
In the end I chose this and it is working perfectly, and is out of sight.
http://www.nasamarine.com/product/bm-1-bluetooth/

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The cheap one will be all you need, in fact, I think I'll buy one myself.
You'll rarely have more than 30A in or out unless you have an hair dryer ect
Really all you need is an accurate volt meter, whats going in or out is useful but an accurate voltage reading tells you what you have left in the batteries. Never have less than 12.2V ------- IMHO:blush:

Allowing leisure batteries to discharge to 12.2V is not wise. This means the battery will be appoximitly 75% discharged. (see page 6 of this attachment Link Removed)
Whilst the battery may appear to recover and perform well after this level of discharge, the life of the battery will be significantly shortened and this is due to the Depth Of Discharge (DOD) the battery is rated at. Most leisure batteries have a specified life span determined by the number of cycles at a given DOD. So, expect to see something like 200 cycles at 50% DOD for a half decent lead acid leisure battery. This means it can be discharged 50% of it's capacity 200 times before it dies. Clearly the less you discharge it, the more cycles you will get. (Ideally, do not allow to discharge more than 20%). If you discharge more than 50% then clearly you are going to get less than 200 cycles.
(If your not given the DOD and number of cycles when buying a new battery, do not buy).

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Dumb Q .So I deleted it :)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Cant you run several different appliances at one time and add them up to make 30? ..Or is it not that easy?
Do not think so, what they want you to do is draw near the limit of the unit in my case 280 Amps, the draw needs to be known and steady, you then alter the meter reading so that it matches the known draw, I have tried but the results have been a bit hit and miss, the Ah percentage remaining and recharge status never tally as I think they should. For me it was an experiment where I learnt some things and I can happily use the expresso machine anywhere.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Allowing leisure batteries to discharge to 12.2V is not wise. This means the battery will be appoximitly 75% discharged. (see page 6 of this attachment
This is different chart figures as to the one at I think @pappajohn posted a few yr ago.

No wonder Im confused.:LOL:
handy-guide.gif

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This is different chart figures as to the one at I think @pappajohn posted a few yr ago.

No wonder Im confused.:LOL:View attachment 129806
Yes! After looking at that I can well understand your confused. It's a load of tosh I'm afraid. Dont take my word for it, choose any from the following to confirm what I previously stated.
Broken Link Removed

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Guy i'm seriously thinking on buying the Victron 700
What size is the actual display unit , as i want to see if it will cover an existing monitors hole already cut out in the MH.
the size of the display circle please , and also with the square surround fitted :)

Thank you!

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Bought the Victron 700 , installed it , love it ,, now i just need to get away and learn how to program it correctly.
atm i've set the alarm to go off when the battery bank drops below 80% SOC ,then turn of when they are back up to i think 95% , i'll know ill have to adjust them settings , but want to just try different variables , as i know its gonna be trial and error.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back