Battery master switch

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by betterthenatent, Feb 18, 2011.

1. betterthenatent

betterthenatent Read Only Funster

I will have to renew my leisure battery soon as it wont hold a charge. I havent had the motor home for very long so I don't know its history. As a precaution in case the battery is discharging due to a short circuit I thought I would fit a master switch. Now when I had a boat I'm sure the switch isolated the positive side of the circuit. But I was looking at a switch online and it said to wire it into the negative.

2. aba

aba

hi if it breaks the connection to either side of the battery it should be ok as there is no circuit to drain the battery.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you may find there are a number of connections to the battery pos (live) temrinal and only one to the earth terminal.

makes sense to connect to a single wire (earth) than a number of them.(pos)

if the battery is going flat over an extended time (weeks) it could just be normal internal self discharge.
    if it goes flat after a few days or a week or so, it sounds knackered.

4. betterthenatent

betterthenatent Read Only Funster

Yeah goes flat after about a week or ten days. Just read on another site that you shouldn't use a car charger to charge a leisure battery is that true?

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

sounds like your battery is knackered and does need replacing if it only lasts a week with no load.

car chargers.....depends on the type of battery....

lead acid type, normal fitment to most motorhomes, are perfectly safe on a car charger.
    they are only a slightly modified car battery.

Gel and glass mat type have different charging characteristics and are not really suitable for car chargers.

only thing with normal car chargers is they reduce amps as the battery charges so will never fully charge a leisure battery....probably 80 to 85% at best.

a decent 3 or 4 stage charger reduces volts as the battery charges while maintaining a higher ampage.