Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Well the time has come to buy a Battery Master. Our motorhome only has to be stood idle for 4/5 days and battery goes flat.
The last time this happened we called the RAC out who do our breakdown cover he got it started, then checked the battery out and said it was fine.
I have a feeling that our alarm is pulling it down, when the blue light of the alarm flashes it lights the whole cab up like a police car lol.

What I would like to know and this is aimed more to the Funsters who live in Norfolk, does anyone know of a person or company who could fit this for me ? I know people on here say they are easy to fit, but I hate electrics and do not want to do any damage to the motorhome.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Mark & Anne.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Get a second opinion on the battery.
I dont see how he could check unless it was FULLY charged.
Changing will take far longer with the engine running than the mechanic will have been with you.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Hi Mark & Anne, I fitted a CSB-2 split charge relay to mine and it does exactly what it "says on the tin"

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPLIT-CHA...837453?hash=item1c649911cd:g:9YgAAOxydyxSNBaY

There's only 3 wires to connect, Live and Earth to your Leisure battery and Live to your cab battery. If you need a bit of encouragement or an hand to fit it, give me a shout.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Mark and Anne

Our battery doesn't last long either so I changed it, the new one was just the same so I accept that there are a lot of things drawing power and draining it, alarm, immobiliser, tracker etc.

As you say everybody says how easy the battery master is to fit and yes it is but only if you have the confidence to have a go, if not any auto electrician or motorhome service place should be able to do it for you.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Mark & Anne, I fitted a CSB-2 split charge relay to mine and it does exactly what it "says on the tin"

View attachment 140374

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPLIT-CHA...837453?hash=item1c649911cd:g:9YgAAOxydyxSNBaY

There's only 3 wires to connect, Live and Earth to your Leisure battery and Live to your cab battery. If you need a bit of encouragement or an hand to fit it, give me a shout.

Pete
But what does it say on the tin? As far as I know the CBE CSB-2 needs the donor battery to be on charge and above 13.6 volts to work and it cut out at 12.5 volts, whereas the VanBitz battery master will connect the donor leisure batteries to the starter battery when there is a 0.6 or 0.7 volt difference between the two.

Martin

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I had a similar problem with my MH with a Sigma Alarm . It transpired that the alarm sounder which in my case had a Gel Battery built in had developed a fault and was constantly charging itself from the Start Battery. I took a lot of testing with an Auto Electrician to find it. When set the readings looked ok but after about 20minutes the current draw went through the roof. Changed the Sounder fortunately under warranty no further issues. I would however add that I have Solar Panels that charge the Leisure Batteries which then trickle over to the Start Battery. With normal Alarm Current Draw a Good Battery should last about 4 weeks before needing charge without any external charging.
I fitted the Sterling Power Products Battery Master cost about 60pounds. No problems since.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
But what does it say on the tin?
Martin

As per the advert for the CSB-2 which I attached a link in the post above......
This unit will enable the charging of both batteries from Solar or wind or Hookup.

SPECIFICATION
Up to 4A charging of your engine battery

* Engine battery will automatically start charging when the Leisure battery voltage exceeds approx 13.6V

* The Engine battery will not receive any charging when the Leisure battery drops below approx 12.5V. This ensures your leisure battery receives priority charging whilst camping etc.

* The green LED indicates that the Engine battery is receiving charge.

* W 74mm x D 49mm H 44mm.

Pete

* Instructions supplied

* Manufactured & CE marked by CBE

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I had a similar problem with my MH with a Sigma Alarm . It transpired that the alarm sounder which in my case had a Gel Battery built in had developed a fault and was constantly charging itself from the Start Battery. I took a lot of testing with an Auto Electrician to find it. When set the readings looked ok but after about 20minutes the current draw went through the roof. Changed the Sounder fortunately under warranty no further issues. I would however add that I have Solar Panels that charge the Leisure Batteries which then trickle over to the Start Battery. With normal Alarm Current Draw a Good Battery should last about 4 weeks before needing charge without any external charging.
I fitted the Sterling Power Products Battery Master cost about 60pounds. No problems since.
Might check ours as we have a Sigma alarm.

Martin

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That is what Martin is alluding to
If you don't have solar or hook up it won't charge the engine battery where as. "Batterymaster" will

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That is what Martin is alluding to
If you don't have solar or hook up it won't charge the engine battery where as. "Batterymaster" will
That's right Andy, I think it comes down to what the OP wants it to do and what they have on the van already, we have CBE CSB-2 on our van but it's useless when it's parked in the shed with no solar and not plugged in, unless the EFOY come in of course but that relies on the leisure batteries going down to 12.3 volts by which time the starter battery will be well flat, at least the battery master will pull the leisure batteries down as well so kicking in the EFOY on the demand from the starter battery.

And it will start when I go to it(y)

Martin

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I don't know how old our Van Bits one is but it happily let's the engine battery get too low to start the engine, we tend to watch the batteries state and if enough power, we will happily use electric equipment, so very often not enough power to "overflow" into the engine battery--------personally I would prefer to prioritize the engine battery------to me it's more important than the leisure ones !!!!.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can I suggest you go to a proper battery supplier to get the battery checked.

Our neighbours car kept letting them down and the VW dealer said the battery was fine on more than one occasion. Guess what the battery was foobard :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't know how old our Van Bits one is but it happily let's the engine battery get too low to start the engine, we tend to watch the batteries state and if enough power, we will happily use electric equipment, so very often not enough power to "overflow" into the engine battery--------personally I would prefer to prioritize the engine battery------to me it's more important than the leisure ones !!!!.
Hi Nigel

I think the VanBitz works when there is something like a 0.6 or 0.7 volt difference between the two sets of batteries, one advantage of Gels that float a bit higher than flooded lead acid.

Martin

OP
OP
Norfolk Red

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Thanks to everyone who has replied.
Just to add a few extra comments, the motorhome stands in a barn when not travelling so not exposed to the outside.
Also when in the barn it is on permanent EHU, complete with oil filled rad just keeping the whole inside warm rather than hot, so with the main battery being under the floor in the cab not exposed to the cold as much.

Always thought that while on EHU the main battery was receiving a charge, but obviously not in this case.

And by the way the motorhome in question is a 2010 Auto Trail Chieftan.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Mark & Anne.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I have always been under the impression that while on hook up the engine battery can be charged too, i can only speak for our previous PVC we had (Autocruise Rythm Sport - a very very base model van) and our current van also charges both while on EHU

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Norfolk Red Hi Mark i take it you control panel does not have an option to change it to charge the Cab Battery , instead of the Hab battery ?

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
This is what i was thinking Bart, our previous van had 2 battery symbols on the control panel, engine and leisure, you just switch to engine for charge to take place... our Hobby just does the switch over automatically which i would have thought most big vans would

OP
OP
Norfolk Red

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
@Norfolk Red Hi Mark i take it you control panel does not have an option to change it to charge the Cab Battery , instead of the Hab battery ?

Good question, and the honest answer to that is, I really do not know. I will have to have a look in the morning.
Thanks for throwing that into the equation.

Mark & Anne.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Which Model of Sigma Alarm do you have?. I ask because something is pulling 2Amps from my Batteries currently and it is laid up!. Fortunately on EHU. The Sigma was fitted new (I am 3rd owner) By Brownhills.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I think you probably have a Sargent EC325 PSU ... if so then you can choose on your control panel between leisure battery/s or vehicle battery.

Whichever is selected will be the battery supplying all the 12v systems and will be charged when on elh.

Therefore, in order to keep both batteries charged while on elh you should change the selection every few days.

Alternativly, as per your initial suggestion, fit a Battery Master and leave the leisure battery selected and allow the BM to trickle charge the vehicle battery.

OP
OP
Norfolk Red

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Once again thanks for all the replies, what a brilliant Forum this is. One day perhaps I will be able to contribute something that will help someone.
Brian, done as you suggested and played with the Sargent panel, and left it overnight went out to start the motorhome this morning, and it started first time, brilliant.
Thanks for the heads up.

Mark & Anne.

Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
Bumping and watching thread (Sigma comments). Our Autotrail Mohawk is going to Vanbitz at the end of the month to have the Battery Master and a Sterling 1260 B2B system fitted, Ian has been great and very informative. Unfortunately it's beyond this mere-mortal, computer nerd to carry out such work. We did install a new YBX5019 Yuasa battery last week as the previous RAC/Varta battery was dead very quickly while in covered storage and I wonder if the Sigma alarm is the cause? I'm going to check the vehicle this weekend.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back