Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
uk
Funster No
MH
chausson
Exp
just starting
Any views on the typical life of the battery for the motor in a Fiat 2.3 2007.Are there signs that give you clues as to when they need changing,assuming the van is used all year at regular intervals & not hooked up to any charger when not in use.Any signs that effect performance when they start to fail......

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Had to replace the battery on my van this year :Sad: Its a 2008 model 2.3 but I think the lack of use for a few months and a solar panel covered by snow did not help.::bigsmile:
The only hint hat I got was when I went to open the central locking and it didn't respond :RollEyes:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If it is the original battery, it will be getting near it's end of life. They usually are around 4/5 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we just put a new one on our van, well I saw we :winky: the garage when they did the MOT ::bigsmile: My belly is to big and my arms to not long enough to reach it ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It made them swear. :roflmto:
That was 4 years old, still started OK, but for the cost and hassle it causes when it wont start, we had a new one. :Smile: Bob.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Any views on the typical life of the battery for the motor in a Fiat 2.3 2007.Are there signs that give you clues as to when they need changing,assuming the van is used all year at regular intervals & not hooked up to any charger when not in use.Any signs that effect performance when they start to fail......

Well I was having the same problem mine is a 2.3 Fiat....2008 year....
This year I have had loads starting the engine (or should I say NOT starting) about ten times I have gone up for the motorhome only to find not enough power for the central locking or even a light on the dash board...this was after 4 times charging all the previous day with a battery charger at 4 amps....ZERO...so I would come back for the wife and the car to jump start, lucky it is only about 1/4 mile away,
As I am changing the van for a new Rapido in a couple of weeks......I was looking around to buy a new battery for the exchange....as I would not leave it like it is... now 100amh batteries over here with a cold cranking of 700 + are around 130 euros to 280 euros +.........
A friend of ours Mick who has a Rv said to me get a smart charger and de-sulpherise.......now if I went for the small Ctec, for the size I wanted I was talking around £140 upwards....??? and as I am not sure they work!!
I had decided I was going to get a new battery....then another friend on here MHF JJ said you must be mad sending a motorhome in for exchange to a dealer with a new battery ( I think JJ was Joking)...well that set the wife thinking he was correct....and so that made my mind up the go for the smart charger option if it does not work go for a new battery..
I had been reading about the RING 16 amp smart charger....all the feedback was good and positive....and these are about £68.00 delivered to a address in the uk.....BUT they are not small about the size of a normal battery charger....and being unsure if they really worked ....Ring smart charger it is .....if it works at the end of the day after the exchange I would still have a smart charger....

Well I put the battery charge on for one day .....before I switched on the power, while it was connected it said there was Zero in the battery .... after 8 to 12 hours charging at 16amp it read 100%...
Now I contacted RING tec team and asked if I could leave the battery in situ and would it damage anything that was connected....they responded very quickly and said it was ok to leave all wires connected....also no need to loosen any caps as it will not boil the battery, and it could be left on permanently if wanted, ..the Ring 16amp from 20amh to 200amh...

like this one but I paid about £68.00

Link Removed

Link Removed

Well I am gob smacked....I have been up to try the motorhome two weeks after the charge....we have had some bad frosts in the mornings...everything is back to normal...starts up like a new battery again......I was amazed....:whatthe::Eeek::whatthe:

Mel:thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Keep an eye open both at lidl and aldi both do a smart 3 stage charger for about 12 quid :thumb:Aldi = auto x5 lidl = tronic
terry

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
Hola
Just replaced the engine battery on my fiat 2.8jtd 2002. It was a varta and i believe the original cos i'ved owned the m/h since 2004. The battery gave me no warning but i think it lasted so long cos solar panel works well here in s/spain.
David

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I changed all 3 batteries on the van at 3 years old - 2006 2.3 Ducato. They are still powering an Electric Fence on my friends farm 3 years on. :Blush:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
the life of a battery

Its not really a very exciting life I am afraid :ROFLMAO:,they live in a compatment under the cab floor and untill they refuse to start the engine they never see daylight then they get thrown away not a very happy life:ROFLMAO:in fact they regularly get charged just for being there

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back