Battery isolator switch

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Moodybrook, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

I would like to fit an isolator switch to my vehicle battery. For security and to protect it from the persistent drain of amps. My question is, do I put it in the battery negative terminal - to chassis cable ?
    Are there implications for the leisure batteries, who are also earthed to the chassis ?

2. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Don't know what year your motorhome is but if it is a newish one you may have problems if you isolate the vehicle battery. The radio code for one and I had a car that the dealer had to reset the airbag warning light after the battery had been disconnected.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

its easier and electrically the same to isolate the negative side of the battery. as the leisure battery is or should be isolated from the charging circuit by a relay, no issues there either

dont forget to fit a decent amperage isolator, as all the cranking current will be drawn through it

• Like Like x 1
  4. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

I thought the negative side looked the easiest but I am prepared to be wrong. This ok ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BATTERY-C...-QUALITY-/230626738401?_trksid=p2054897.l5660

5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

The spec on that is quite good, pity the don't supply the ring connectors you will need but ho hum.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mike B

Mike B Funster

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

that should do as it is rated at 1400amps for 10 seconds
    as for fitting ring terminals on heavy cable, dont even try if you dont have the correct equipment. measure up the lengths needed and buy them ready made. either at a motor factors or plenty of sellers on eBay will make them up at a good price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BATTERY-S...UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&var=&hash=item43c11ba3d7

• Like Like x 1
  8. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Thanks to all, (y) will get made up cable connectors, too much juice floating about to mess about with.

Mike that is ok but would mean lifting mats, opening up the vehicle battery box under the floor etc so I think switch in the cab with a removable key for additional security would suit me better. :) I found one with a security key, not the plain standard one that could be operated with a simple screwdriver :)