Battery Isolator Caused Catastrophic Instrument Cluster Failure. (1 Viewer)

Gorsecover59

Free Member
Jun 6, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Swift,Lifestyle 530l
Exp
new
Hi All,
Just a word of caution.
I fitted a £5 ebay battery isolator to the neg terminal of the cranking battery to ensure no voltage drain when vehicle not in use.
As time went on suffered problems with elec windows seeming to stall, Put this down to stiff winding mechanism.
Recently noticed issues with fuel gauge being erratic.
Final straw ,parked vehicle and fuel and temp gauge going ballistic.Switched ignition back on............nothing,zilch,nowt.
Removed battery isolator and reconnected normal connection to Neg terminal.
Fuel gauge went to full,the wrong way round and when vehicle started rev counter went to 6000 rpm on tickover (revcounter,not engine).
Sent inst cluster off for repair only to find it`s terminal.
New fiat replacement..................sit down for this one please...........£850.
Ebay replacement £38...............only prob is my mileage has gone from 15000 miles to 179,000 overnight as you inherit the previous vehicles mileage.
Be warned and ditch those damned isolators that appear to have a good connection but can deteriorate over time causing intense make/break votages that fork yer instruments.
Martin

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Quite a few modern vehicles have set procedures for battery connection/disconnection.
Your experience is a good example of why.

Sporadic disconnections can upset software in ECUs.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Quite a few modern vehicles have set procedures for battery connection/disconnection.
Your experience is a good example of why.

Sporadic disconnections can upset software in ECUs.
That's what I thought but no expert, not the isolater at fault but the switching on and off , how does the radio and clocks and stuff work without constant power.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sorry to hear about your problems, any chance a fiat dealer can reset your mileage, probably won't be interested but worth asking.
Fiat recommend when changing a battery to connect another battery to the jump terminals so that the electronics all remain powered up to avoid problems, so to me that gives a clue that fitting an isolator is not a good idea.

steviebouy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Pucklechurch, Bristol BS16 9SE, UK
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since July 2011!
These people may be able to help with resetting your mileage - http://digidash.co.uk
Sorry that's not a link - just discovered something else everybody else seems to be able to manage that I can't. Apart from construct a sentence, that is.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
many of the new vehicles shutdown /start up/disconnect/connect/jump start procedures are like secret handshakes for the masons. One for Citroen I posted the other day is.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry to hear about your problems, any chance a fiat dealer can reset your mileage, probably won't be interested but worth asking.
Fiat recommend when changing a battery to connect another battery to the jump terminals so that the electronics all remain powered up to avoid problems, so to me that gives a clue that fitting an isolator is not a good idea.
My Fiat Ducato 2014 has built in battery isolating switch. I have used this to "reboot" the radio when it developed a fault.

If fitted by Fiat surely it is OK to use the switch to isolate the battery when vehicle is not in use?

The comments from Fiat that you quoted suggest it may cause problems. Doh!:cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back