Battery doesn't draw current - time to replace it? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I'm using the varta agm on the gel setting. The factory fitted battery was an agm and the charger was set to gel so I've left it like this. It technically isn't correct and means I probably won't get as long out of it as I should but it's doing ok at the moment (hope I've not jinxed it now!).

This is an excellent thread that discusses why AGM batteries are a waste of time (worse than that - potentially damage causing) unless the charges supports them, and argues how the "gel" setting simply causes charging to take a very long time and in any case never completely charges the battery!

Link Removed

It also discusses an issue with Hymer fitting AGM batteries as original equipment despite the charger not supporting them... and this is an interesting article from a company that repairs lots of EBL99 controllers for people who've fitted the wrong batteries - their recommendation is the Varta dual purpose LFD90.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-technology.php

So... after going round in quite a few circles, my conclusion is:
  • I use an EBL99 control block - this doesn't support AGM charging and using Gel setting isn't advised for various reasons - so AGM is out;
  • The Varta dual purpose range use Varta's "Powerframe" tech that appears to have lots of benefit in this application - despite coming originally from their "Starter" range;
  • From various sources Varta appears to be much longer life at not much more cost than the myriad of cheaper brands
  • So Varta dual purpose (LFD range it is.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Glad to hear you've seen the light as far as the Varta LFD range is concerned. I've had mine for over 6 months and they have performed very well.

However, if located in a confined space, they do need venting. If you have an outside locker you will be OK.

Having said all this, I had a couple of Gels in my previous Hymer with an electroblok charging system and they were still still going strong when I sold the vehicle 10 years later. The MH was new when I bought it.

Gels can be discharged down to 40% DoD (depth of discharge) whereas the Varta or other wet acid batteries are only recommended to be discharged to 50% DoD. Effectively, the gel type battery will extend the number of Amp-hours you can extract without damaging the battery.

Personally, I would go for the Varta for quicker charging and lower initial cost. Overall, it's probably a close run contest between Gel and Varta (or similar wet acid batteries).

I know that @Lenny has Gel batteries (for the reason as stated above) and he is very happy with them.

Feb 28, 2013
Carterton, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Another vote for Varta. I've had an LFD90 from new (4 years) with an EBL99 controller and not a hint of a problem. Intend to replace with a pair of the same when the time comes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you search the German forums you will find AGM batteries are still failing prematurely even with the correct chargers, they appear to work fine for what they were designed for stop start engines but useless for our type of application.

Yes very pleased with the gels you can actually discharge then to 80% and still get a very long life out of them.

I've arranged with my dealer to swap the AGM for my gels on the new van as the gels will only be just over a year old.

When i changed them the differance in performance was noticeable compared to the AGM's even when they were new.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back