Battery discharging problems - any advise? (1 Viewer)

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
We've just returned from 5 months cruising around Portugal. However, we hit a problem with our motorhome electrics. We have a 2010 Autocruise Starburst and fitted with a 120w solar panel (still the original battery). Until now the solar panel has always functioned fantastically and we have never had to worry about electric usage. For some reason, the battery charges fully over the day and as soon as evening approaches, within 10 minutes the battery totally discharges to zero - previously kept us easily supplied with electric overnight. We've removed the fully charged battery to our garage to test it and it is behaving as it should - retaining the charge as it used to do - for days. We've checked the Sargent unit and with everything in the motorhome switched off, it said it was only pulling 0.1amp - which is fine. We've cleaned the battery contacts and they are fine. We're assuming the battery is getting old and the cells breaking down, so maybe needs replacing. How long do batteries usually last? Any ideas out their would be gratefully received.......... Caroline

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what you are reading is a floating voltage and the battery is likely now dead. Put it under load and it has no capacity. depending on the quality and the technology used batteries are good for 400-500 charging cycles. In an ideal environment a battery can last 10 years, but you rarely see that so on average 5 years for a leisure battery

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Six years if you are lucky

May I suggest you take the battery to a garage ,they will be able to test it in a few minutes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
How long is a piece of string.
Every battery has a maximum number of discharge recharge cycles but this is often abused by over discharging and late recharging. So it could be a year or several years.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you disconnect the battery completely and measure the voltage it will reveal all.
12.7 volts is fully charged
12 volts is flat
below 12 volts is an incremental measurement of Fubar'd

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I have a feeling that what you have been seeing as a healthy battery is your solar panel voltage.. if your battery is dead after 10 min on load it sounds like its had it.... when you say zero what do you mean... it will have some measurable voltage..
andy

OP
OP
F

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
Many thanks for all your advise - fantastic! - well perhaps not, as it looks like a new battery is needed - it is as we thought. many, many thanks everyone....
ps - any recommendations for a new battery, i know there are currently 3 types.....

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Many thanks for all your advise - fantastic! - well perhaps not, as it looks like a new battery is needed - it is as we thought. many, many thanks everyone....
ps - any recommendations for a new battery, i know there are currently 3 types.....
Depends on how much space you have? Is it crammed in, under a front seat or plenty of room.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What everyones missed so far is........

We've removed the fully charged battery to our garage to test it and it is behaving as it should - retaining the charge as it used to do - for days.

If it was indeed simply solar/charger surface voltage while on the van why is it holding charge on the bench.
If the battery was completely cabbaged it would self discharge in a very short time.....or wouldnt charge at all.
I would suggest the blocking diodes on the panel have failed allowing current to flow back to the panel at night....which is when the problem arises.

OP
OP
F

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
Many thanks Andy (Techno) for your battery recommendations - they look good and a great price!
Regarding pappajohn's analysis - it seems good sense and as i've said it seems strange to me that on the bench the battery is holding it's charge - and the fault may actually be in the van. "I would suggest the blocking diodes on the panel have failed allowing current to flow back to the panel at night....which is when the problem arises." I do not quite understand this - being totally non-technical, just logical! I'm assuming that by "panel" you mean the motorhome control panel being faulty? Or are these diodes actually in the battery - sorry, as i say - none technical! My logic says that during the day and the electic is flowing 'in' to the panel/diodes and at night when there is no incoming flow, the electric reverses and flows out? Surely this is all controlled by the Sargent unit? Perhaps this may have acquired a fault, as at the end of the day i think this controls all the electric flow, whether input or output.
I a loathe to buy a new battery if this is not the fault - though it is pretty old and has been well used - away for at least 5 months every year. My next thoughts are - who would I get to look at the van - just a motorhome mechanic or perhaps a mobile electronics expert?
But many thanks again ......

OP
OP
F

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
....another thought - the Sargent unit is only showing showing a 0.1 drainage. When we disconnected the solar charging the Sargent slipped12.8 to 12.7 to 12.6 very quickly.....

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I reckon I am pretty much with you on technical ability, but I think the reference to diodes is in the solar controller, to stop the battery sending power back to the panel in the dark (y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The 0.1 drainage could be the battery itself due to a cell failure. Batteries comprise of 6 cells and if one fails the voltage when disconnected will drop to around 10.6

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm assuming that by "panel" you mean the motorhome control panel being faulty? Or are these diodes actually in the battery -
The diodes are part of the solar panel and prevent electrical current being sent back to the panel from the battery when the sun dont shine.
The crystal cells on the panel will absorb any current and eventually flatten your battery.

OP
OP
F

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
Many thanks! Bit of controversy - are the diodes within the actual solar panel or the solar panel controller? Also, surely the Sargent unit should control the flows, so that this should never happen?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Do you have a dedicated solar charge controller in the system or is your panel wired through a Sargent built in charge controller..
Only asking because of John's point about the panel blocking diodes... I'm sure my mppt charge controller has that function built into it to stop reverse current... so in my case I'm sure the controller and panel diodes would both have to be faulty for a reverse current to flow...
Andy.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
The diodes are part of the solar panel and prevent electrical current being sent back to the panel from the battery when the sun dont shine.
The crystal cells on the panel will absorb any current and eventually flatten your battery.

As an aside to the original thread. How would I know if my solar panels have blocking diodes, is it just normal practice to do this? I am guessing that they do because my panels feed straight to the batteries and don't lose overnight. There was a little connection box on the back of the panel, should have had a nosey but didn't.

Details On Solar Panel

Dimensions - 1250 x 570 x 30mm. Longer, narrower, and 3% more efficient than poly.
Specifications
Open-circuit voltage (Voc) Av 22.1V, sd 0.3
Voltage at maximum power (Vmp) Av 17.9V, sd 0.2
Short-circuit current (Isc) Av 5.56A, sd 0.01
Current at maximum power (Imp) Av 5.12A
Maximum power at STC (Wp) 100W ±3%
Operating temperature -40oC to +85oC
Maximum system voltage 600Vdc
Power tolerance ±3%

Shawn

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
As an aside to the original thread. How would I know if my solar panels have blocking diodes, is it just normal practice to do this? I am guessing that they do because my panels feed straight to the batteries and don't lose overnight. There was a little connection box on the back of the panel, should have had a nosey but didn't.

Details On Solar Panel

Dimensions - 1250 x 570 x 30mm. Longer, narrower, and 3% more efficient than poly.
Specifications
Open-circuit voltage (Voc) Av 22.1V, sd 0.3
Voltage at maximum power (Vmp) Av 17.9V, sd 0.2
Short-circuit current (Isc) Av 5.56A, sd 0.01
Current at maximum power (Imp) Av 5.12A
Maximum power at STC (Wp) 100W ±3%
Operating temperature -40oC to +85oC
Maximum system voltage 600Vdc
Power tolerance ±3%

Shawn
Yep that little box most probably has the diodes in it... mine does and im assuming that's what they are ...but I'm sure my charge controller has reverse polarity and reverse current fiction as well...
Waiting for someone to confirm that's normal or have I picked up incorrectly on that...
As an aside it's unusual for your panel to feed directly to the batteries without a charge controller... unless it's a small panel...say 40w or less..
Andy

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Yep that little box most probably has the diodes in it... mine does and im assuming that's what they are ...but I'm sure my charge controller has reverse polarity and reverse current fiction as well...
Waiting for someone to confirm that's normal or have I picked up incorrectly on that...
As an aside it's unusual for your panel to feed directly to the batteries without a charge controller... unless it's a small panel...say 40w or less..
Andy

Hello @andy63 Hope you are well and still enjoying life. We met a while ago/last August at a small meet on a CL near Inverness.

I run a wind turbine as well as 2 100w solar panels and the research I did at the time suggested I should run all direct to the batteries. The controller then monitors the batteries and any excess is distributed to a couple of resistors.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi.. yes that will have been at brin..
Hope all well with you..
I'm not familiar with that set up...I thought the controllers were installed between charging source and battery...and regulated the charging current to suit...
Hope we meet again somewhere sometime...
Andy.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Please do not discharge your battery or batteries past 12.2volts as you are at the 50% mark and will start to destroy them. Do this a number of times and you will be replacing them.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Does anyone know what charging characteristics a calcium based battery requires?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Does anyone know what charging characteristics a calcium based battery requires?
I think they are just a type of lead acid battery... They require a higher charging voltage...ie up to 14.8v..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hello @andy63 Hope you are well and still enjoying life. We met a while ago/last August at a small meet on a CL near Inverness.

I run a wind turbine as well as 2 100w solar panels and the research I did at the time suggested I should run all direct to the batteries. The controller then monitors the batteries and any excess is distributed to a couple of resistors.
More thread hijack I'm afraid but if I understand that correctly you have a pretty inefficient setup. Solar panels work best when allowed to run at their optimum voltage, which for a typical MH panel is around 18 volts. Coupling them across a battery drags the voltage down with negligible increase in current to compensate. A good MPPT controller is what you need.

For the wind turbine I guess coupling across the batteries would be correct, assuming it is a 12 volt generator, but this does not apply to solar although it can certainly be done if you accept the reduction in output.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
@Techno you were suggesting calcium based battery earlier in the thread but where do you get the extra charging volts from?
Need to change mine but want to be sure before ordering.
Thx.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back