Battery dead

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Ivory55, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Hi, just arrived newhaven and switched water on and pump did not sound right and the lights flickered . I pressed the test battery on the board and it was right at the bottom and red. Had it on charge last night plus it has solar panel, battery's not quite 2 years old. Is it something simple and how far is John cross from newhaven ? Cheers

2. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Cannot help on electrics but JC not too far from you, they are in Robertsbridge, so about an hour away.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheDentons

TheDentons Funster

We had a 2001 swift and it had a fuse by the van battery which caused us the same problems

4. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Cheers, I found what I think is the fuse for the charger and it looks ok to me. Am very ltd on tech stuff , ha ha.

5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

you need to check the various voltages to be sure if its the battery or the solar panel controller or fuse. with 3 ways to charge, alternator, ehu and solar, i would say its more likely the battery than all 3 charge methods failing to work

• Like Like x 1
  6. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

We have had the same issue in the past. Where the leisure battery is located under the floor there is a large fuse. Twice in six years we have had this fuse blow causing loss of the 12v habitation side.
    Hope you get it sorted quickly.

7. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Hi, thanks. We are sat at John cross now and they said both leisure batteries are shagged they was only fitted by Dave newel 26 oct 12 so never lasted very long. It's new batteries plus fitting and £35 it cost to change the ferry to tonight's crossing. Not a cheap holiday so far, ha ha

8. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

keep the reciepts and when you get back ask Dave how long the warranty is as they should have at least 2 years poss 3. You may get some of your money back. Also keep the old batteries if you can in case he want to send them back.

Phill

9. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Hi, cheers. All sorted now a big thanks to John cross for fitting us in this morning. Have got 2 new batteries fitted and they are holding the old batteries for us to pick up on the way home in case they are needed for guarantee proof. They said that both batteries were dead. We are booked on the 11pm ferry ,hope it's not to rough. Thanks again to John cross for getting us going for our holidays.

• Like Like x 5
  10. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Sorry to hear you've had problems. What brand of batteries were they please? If they were Elecsol then you should know that they went out of business last year and the warranty died with them. Contact us when you get back and we'll see what we can do for you, don't bother with the old batteries if they were Elecsols, just tell JC to dispose of them.

Enjoy your travels, D.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Thanks Dave I posted that they were bust a couple of times but some members just wont accept it :ROFLMAO:

12. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Hi dave, thanks we are sat waiting on newhaven for the boat at the moment. We did not know they had gone bust and yes they were elecsols batteries. Will ask jc to dump them when we get back, I will give you a shout when we get back cheers Colyn

• Like Like x 1
  13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

If unsure then change it.

You may need to 'borrow' one (of the same rating) from a different circuit but it will confirm the fuse is good or bad.