Battery Connecting Cables

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by colinw, May 7, 2015.

1. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

I am in the process of fitting new batteries ( 3 x 88ah , due to size restrictions ) .
    I have read all the usual posts and found them very helpful , but , why do the connecting cables have to be larger than the cables that connect them to my van ? , is it purely to keep resistance as low as possible between batteries in the bank ?
    Thanks , Colin .

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

image.jpg I would not have thought that you needed heavier cables between the batteries than running to the van from the batteries especially if you wire them like this. The three 12volts example.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steevie

steevie Funster

Ideally they should all be as thick as possible to reduce voltage loss, but you have it the wrong way round. The longest cables should be the thickest, but ones joining batteries should be really be about the same. Get good quality battery terminals, and avoid the cheap lead ones, which either keep stretching or just break.

• Like Like x 1
  4. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Thanks guys , I will be using the 3 battery diagram above , with the + and - being the existing van connections .

5. chaser

chaser Funster

I think what the thing is about having thick cables between batteries is if one suddenly goes flat (unlikely I know) you get full power going from one to the other , maybe too much for your small cables, that's what I'm told anyway

• Like Like x 1
  6. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Thanks all , will get the cables ordered .