Free Member
Feb 3, 2013
Teeside
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
new
Currently working on a motorhome conversion, and as a motorcycle electrician, dont work on motorhomes often, the vehicle is a 24v stagecoach bus. Is it possible to use a deep cycle 24v leisure battery as the main battery for the whole vehicle charging from only the alternator?

heres the rest of the details..
The owner is planning on running an 8Kva generator in the back, should produce 240V at 33.3A if my calculations are correct. Now my plan is to use an inverter from the battery to power the lights and a few small items while travelling. when parked up and the generator is on powering the 240v use a converter (ac-dc) to power the 24v lighting, audio and water pump. as the lighting and audio are attached to the main vehicles wiring they will be provided a seperate fuse box and seperated from the main vehicles wiring using diodes, this will prevent powering the vehicles ignition system when the generator is turned on. The leisure batteries are designed to be discharged and charged on a regular basis. as the battery on this particular vehicle will only be used for a short while when the generator is out of fuel etc i wondered if anybody else had used one as the main battery and not a battery bank with any trouble. My worry is the constant charging effect from the alternator when the battery will be charged already, in effect using it as a standard battery.

Many Thanks for any help:thumb:

Jamie

OP
OP
C

carterjamie

Free Member
Feb 3, 2013
Teeside
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
new
Sorted.

Believe i just found an answear. some leisure batteries are designes to start an engine aswell as run the appliances, just need to buy the right battery, cheers!!!:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I would go with a seperate lesiure battery myself. The risk with running a dual purpose engine battery is too high should the battery come under strain, or become flat and leave the vehicle immobile. This is why manufacturers still use a seperate engine battery, with an emergency switch to use that battery in worse case scenario for short periods. Something like taking a shower.

With leisure starting batteries, they will drain far lower than an starter battery as they are designed to use total stored power rather than 20%.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back