Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
is it possible to charge a vehicle battery on the vehicle with a small trickle charger, IE do you have to disconect the battery leads or can you put the crocodile clips on the connecting leads to the battery and charge it????

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
as far as i am aware you need to disconnect the battery to apply an external charger..:Smile: does your elec hook up allow a trickle to cab batteries?:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Glyn may be correct?::bigsmile: but i have someting nagging me that could be a prob....or is that the wife bending my ear !:whatthe:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I've charged my mh engine battery without disconnecting it, no problem.
Jim
:Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
on thinking about it ( dangerous i know ):Doh: i guess its no different to adding jumper leads:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont know why but an external charger can sometimes corrupt the onboard ECU.

i just connect an external charger and get on with it....never had a problem yet :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
I had an Optimate charger with the cable hard wired into the battery of my Ducati Monster for the 9 years I owned it.

Just drove it into the garage parked it up, plugged it in, and left it. most of the winters it would sit there for 4 or 5 months and never had any issues. Unplug it push the button and go :thumb:

Mike

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
if i charge a car with an external charger i always put the side light's on when connecting/disconnecting,and also when useing jump leads,to prevent surgeing,which can damage the ecu:Eeek:

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
That sounds bad or did you replace it with something better ?

Brian. No bike at the moment, I loved the bike especially with the roads out from my house over the Brecon Beacons and up through mid Wales, but as I was retiring I sold it and used the money towards the van.

Plus its bloody dangerous out there on a bike now. :Eeek:

Mike

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've used a Tronic T4X (Lidl) charger to keep the starter battery charged over winter on our Autoquest for several years.

Crocodile clips onto the starter/earth as usual, lead the unit inside van and plug into mains socket. Put on EHU and then switch on mains socket. Usually charged fully overnight.

Switch off at mains socket when charged and then remove plug followed by crocodile clips.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've used a Tronic T4X (Lidl) charger to keep the starter battery charged over winter on our Autoquest for several years.

Crocodile clips onto the starter/earth as usual, lead the unit inside van and plug into mains socket. Put on EHU and then switch on mains socket. Usually charged fully overnight.

Switch off at mains socket when charged and then remove plug followed by crocodile clips.
several years :Eeek: i think thats overdoing the charge a bit Graham :ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp

I would not use one of those chargers I have heard a rumour it can cause problems,I heard it can cause your van to act as a huge magnet and attract any passing metal :ROFLMAO:
sorry I could not resist pulling your leg I know its not funny what happened .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would not use one of those chargers I have heard a rumour it can cause problems,I heard it can cause your van to act as a huge magnet and attract any passing metal :ROFLMAO:
sorry I could not resist pulling your leg I know its not funny what happened .

In the words of Pinky, I'll get you at playtime :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back