Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Boughg two new 135amp leisure batteries at Xmas. They are Banner batteries and come with a 3 yr guarantee. Reading the small print, it also says a cycle life of between 400-500 times.

We live full time in the van.

Question- when on electric hook up, am I better off leaving the batteries on a continuous charge via the MPPT solar set up and the original Autotrail mains charger. It is a modern Autotrail with a 3 stage charger.

My thoughts are to leave it on continuous charge (13.6v) most of the time, and only 'use' the batteries when off grid, thus saving the number of recycles.

The thoughts of the experts are sought.

Thanks I advance

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Our MH is in the garage when not in use and batteries are on charge 247-365 The batteries are over two years old now and when we go away 95% of the time we are off EHU and can run batteries (330amps) for days on end without problem, using solar during the day to "top up".
All batteries need to be on charge when not in use and when in use should be charged (not topped up) regularly. In your case as your full time should not be a problem on EHU and your Autotrail with a 3 stage charger should be man enough for the job. Enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back