Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys

I need some advice please.

I have 2 x 110amh new batteries that were put in today. They have been installed in parallel and the charger is plugged into ehu and has been charging the batteries for about 7 hours now but I'm not sure if the batteries are being charged.
When they were installed and voltage checked, the meter stated that they were 3/4 full but in all this time charging, it still states 3/4 full.
When the battery is normally on ehu charge when they get lower than 3/4 full the charger panel clicks continuously and when the battery is charged more the ticking stops, apparently this is normal.

My problem is how long does it normally take for the batteries to be topped up from 3/4 state.
Now I know this is going to sound like a "how long is a piece of string" question but I presume the leisure batteries are charged with a trickle charge so it might take a while or am I wrong.

I have an Autocruise Starblazer with a PMS5B panel/charger,

I know very little about the electrics so simple answers if you can please.

Many thanks
Gary

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
from previous posts regarding batteries it seems they take a age to charge like u said its a trickle charge how long exactly i dont know but it will be ages

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi Gary,
I charged my new batteries with a conventional bench charger first until fully charged, they were no where near fully charged when delivered. After that the MoHo charger will trickle charge them from there on.
I think when some batteries come new they need a good charge before being fitted - or left for some time on the EHU MoHo charger.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
do you know anyone with, or do you own, a multimeter ?

If so, connect the meter to the batteries and turn off the charger...note the voltage.

Turn the charger back on and note the voltage.

If the charger is working the voltage will be higher with it turned on.

No meter........this may work or not but worth a try.

Charger turned off, turn on all your interior lights then, closely watching a light, turn on the charger....if the light gets slightly brighter the charger is working.

After 7hrs charging i would expect a considerably higher voltage but not neccessarily fully charged.

Is there a fuse in the battery positive wire....could have been disturbed during battery change or maybe blown,

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Surely no modern motorhome has just a trickle charger? They are fitted with intelligent multi-stage charging units (well I know mine is). They should apply the appropriate charging voltage and current depending on the state of the battery.

What type of batteries have been fitted? Gels (and I think AGM) batteries take a lot longer to charge than flooded lead-acid ones. Also, the charger setting needs to be checked to ensure it is set for the kind of battery being used (unless it is auto-sensing).

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
I got a great little voltmeter from Amazon, it`s built in to a cigarette lighter type plug, dead simple -no wires or knobs just plug in to the socket you want to test.

OP
OP
gazza280

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks everyone

I got a plug in LED volt meter for 12v socket as advised by some, so I now know its charging properly.

Thanks for your help

Gary:thumb:

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Surely no modern motorhome has just a trickle charger? They are fitted with intelligent multi-stage charging units (well I know mine is). They should apply the appropriate charging voltage and current depending on the state of the battery.

Sadly no intelligent multi-stage charger at the end of the market I frequent.
I had a Autoquest 120 on a 10 plate and now have a 2013 Bailey Approach, both had what I would call a simple PSU (power supply unit) with a no load voltage of 13.7V. I fitted a second leisure battery to the Bailey and took them down to 50% charge. On switching on the "charger" it initially supplied over 15Amps, within a couple of minutes it was down to 10Amps. After an hour it was just over five. It took three days to reach the charge state of 0.1Amp at 13.7Volts.

The main purpose of this "charger" is to run the 12V equipment from the EHU, as the manufacturers think the normal use for their vehicles is on sites with EHU. recharging the the battery is clearly a secondary function.

Gordon.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Sadly no intelligent multi-stage charger at the end of the market I frequent.
I had a Autoquest 120 on a 10 plate and now have a 2013 Bailey Approach, both had what I would call a simple PSU (power supply unit) with a no load voltage of 13.7V. I fitted a second leisure battery to the Bailey and took them down to 50% charge. On switching on the "charger" it initially supplied over 15Amps, within a couple of minutes it was down to 10Amps. After an hour it was just over five. It took three days to reach the charge state of 0.1Amp at 13.7Volts.

The main purpose of this "charger" is to run the 12V equipment from the EHU, as the manufacturers think the normal use for their vehicles is on sites with EHU. recharging the the battery is clearly a secondary function.

Gordon.

I stand corrected - thanks for the information.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Gordon.
Sad, but true. After all, here in the UK, where else would you park your motorhome but on an official camp site? :Sad: :ROFLMAO:

I suppose it's no wonder UK converters don't see the need to fit proper chargers to get the best out of the batteries.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Something like Broken Link Removed may be of use.:thumb:
Already have several multi-meters that I bought a few years ago when they were selling at 2 for £5 some years ago, not as accurate as the old analogue type but good enough for my purposes. Now have just bought Taran Las's suggested 12v socket fitting one - ideal for car and van, no wires or coupling up to batteries when just the voltage reading needed:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back