Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Just come back from first trip away at searles Hunstanton,a bit like Benidorm ,not what I bought the van for but kids loved it .The main reason for the trip was to get used to van in readiness for our trip to Mull and Bute.Spotted a FUNSTER flying a Motorhome Fun flag in a fiat based Roadster van with a large satellite on roof.However never got the chance to chat.
I spent 3 days on hook up and used everything including fridge,which was on 240 constant.I was wondering why when I got back my battery gauge was showing three quarters .Considering I had 2 new batteries fitted last week should they not be fully charged?
Thanks Steve.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
on many vans, you have a switch to select which battery (vehicle or leisure) to use and this also chooses which to charge. its not an automatic selection, so you learn to switch over occassionally to keep both topped up.

alternatively have a batterymaster relay fitted, which takes any charge to the vehicle battery once the leisure battery reaches full charge (ideal if you have a solar panel). another option is to fit a secondary trickle charger/conditioner to the van battery if you keep the van hooked up at home

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Battery charger

working??????? I just had to have a new one!

Catherine

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Battery

How do I know if the battery charger is automatic or not? On my control panel there is a battery switch, when this is on the internal lights work, however, when at hook up I turned this switch off, tv and fridge still worked but lights didn't? Is this an good to you?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well you could just measure the battery voltage, then plug the hook up in and measure again.. That is the simplest way :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
On our Apache under the dinette forward facing seat you will find the vans charger unit,
this has a orange switch which also illuminates when switched to the charge position.
this will only be illuminated when connected to hook up. I leave ours switched on all the time.
everything operates fine.

Battery switch on panel near door simply turns off/on 12v supply inside van, does not control charging, treat it as isolation switch.

hope this answers your questions

also replied with pm

regards
Steve
:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If your Leisure is under your passengers seat check the fuse, it's just in front of the Battery, a little black thingee, some times the fuse blows, it's a 30amp, bit of 30amp fuse wire will do to replace it.

Just a thought:RollEyes:

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Charger

Had a look under seat can only see boiler and water pump,what does a charger look like.Do your batteries Still charge whilst driving if charger not on

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
The battery charger will only be on when you are on electric hook up, this should be able to be left on all the time it also acts as a 12v power source as well and you will only take power from batteries if you exceed the output of the charger. Wether it is switched on or not whilst travelling has no effect at all on the batteries getting charged, there is a seperate device called a split charge relay which allows the auxillery batteries to get charged whilst the engine is running, this relay usually powers the fridge 12v as well . there should be a fuse to this relay at the positive terminal on the main vehicle battery.

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What does a charger look like and do you have to turn it on and off

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What does a charger look like and do you have to turn it on and off
an aftermarket charger may look something like this ...

images

A factory fitted one may look like this...

caravan_motorhome_zig_x70_charger__07257_zoom.jpg

Try looking in the wardrobe, or even under the wardrobe floor if it has a false bottom.

there is no need to turn it off as it only works when on hookup.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
On our 2005 model apache 700, the charger was in the top left overhead cupboard just behind the drivers seat,, It was a model PSU 2005 made by Sergent.
http://sargentshop.co.uk/epages/esh...964/Categories/TechData/"Product Information"

I would first check the charger fuse, it should be labeled.. If you van is similar to our old one and the leisure battery (s) is in the rear nearside locker space, then there is usually a fuse there as well. HOWEVER if that was blown you would get no 12v power at all.
Simple test.. By a basic multimeter and set it to DC VOLTS 20v range,
Connect red and black in right order to one of the leisure batteries. You should have a voltage (hopefully) in the 12v region... Connect the mains lead and check the charger light is on the PSU unit.. If the charger is working you should see a higher voltage like 13.8v to confirm that its getting charge.
There is always a chance the charger is turned off in the cupboard !! or that it's faulty.

Good luck,,,,
Cant stop, 27 degrees here in Benidorm and my cider is getting warm...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Had a look under seat can only see boiler and water pump,what does a charger look like.Do your batteries Still charge whilst driving if charger not on

Yours should look like this

Broken Link Removed

yes your batteries will still charge whilst driving , they charge via a relay under your bonnet
close to engine battery.

hope this helps
:thumb:Steve

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Cant believe you didnt come over and say hello to us.

Yes it was our funster flag flying high at Searles Hunstanton for the past 14 days.

Interestingly it was used by lots of people as a locator and was a talking point too so heres hoping some of the motorhomers we met have joined.

Hope you get it all sorted xxxxxx Why not take some photos and post them on fun so others can see the set up you have, that may help xxxx

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back