Battery charging light on the dashboard (1 Viewer)

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
The good thing is "The Duke" passed his MOT today :thumb::thumb:

But.... (why do i always find a but :cry:) in the passed few months the battery charge light on the dashboard keeps on burning !!

Checked the charging load several times and nothing wrong with that, a nice 14plus each time. No problems with the batteries as well, they are loaded nicely while travelling.

Today I asked the guy in the workshop to check the charging capacity as well and he as well found a good charging dynamo.

So everything works good, but this way i will never be warned if anything happened to the dynamo !!

Does anyone have a suggestion/idea ??

Our camper is a Fiat Ducato 250 TD, built 1991

Thanks

Paul and Ineke

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Paul,

the alternator (dynamo) will have at least one thick wire and one thin wire.

check the connection on the thin wire.

this senses voltage as the alternator starts to turn and turns off the red light.

usually if the alternator fails there is no voltage and it remains lit.

OP
OP
Onderweg

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Thanks, the thin wire has been checked. Nothing wrong with it :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there may be a break inside it.

you will need to follow it right back to the ignition switch and check with an Ohm meter.

there could also be a short circuit to earth which would also make the light stay on.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On my 89 Ducato someone had swapped the use of the charging light over to the brake warning light !

This never came to light ( no pun meant ) until after I had sold it and the thing came on

Turned out to be low brake fluid rather than no charge !!!!!

Spoke to a chap who had worked on them when new and he assured me this was fairly common...

Soooooooooo Might well be worth pulling the thin wire off the alternator and seeing if the light goes out

if it stays on then 'it aint a charge indicator light' !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
On my 89 Ducato someone had swapped the use of the charging light over to the brake warning light !

This never came to light ( no pun meant ) until after I had sold it and the thing came on

Turned out to be low brake fluid rather than no charge !!!!!

Spoke to a chap who had worked on them when new and he assured me this was fairly common...

Soooooooooo Might well be worth pulling the thin wire off the alternator and seeing if the light goes out

if it stays on then 'it aint a charge indicator light' !

I love this post Jaws.
Lateral thinking in the extreme, exactly whats needed when working on m/homes.

I now realise what a m/home or rv is...its a big toy to keep guys happy fiddling about. Its like the shed on wheels.
Without all these things to do we would just sunbathe...and I havent the patience for that.

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
The good thing is "The Duke" passed his MOT today :thumb::thumb:

But.... (why do i always find a but :cry:) in the passed few months the battery charge light on the dashboard keeps on burning !!

Checked the charging load several times and nothing wrong with that, a nice 14plus each time. No problems with the batteries as well, they are loaded nicely while travelling.

Today I asked the guy in the workshop to check the charging capacity as well and he as well found a good charging dynamo.

So everything works good, but this way i will never be warned if anything happened to the dynamo !!

Does anyone have a suggestion/idea ??

Our camper is a Fiat Ducato 250 TD, built 1991

Thanks

Paul and Ineke

Is the lovely doggy on one of those parachute jump simulators??? He flies very well for a doggy. Or is he like a lady I once knew who would do just that if a spider crawled near her?:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
spent two hours this afternoon sorting my mates people carrier.

exact opposite problem.

no charge yet the red light works as normal.....comes on with ignition and goes off with engine running yet still no charge :Sad:

still no nearer to sorting it.:shout:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back