Battery Charger

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by nic, Dec 4, 2009.

1. nic

nic Read Only Funster

Just got myself an 06 Bessacarr E445, well pleased with it but the leisure battery is shot :-( Dealer has replaced it under warranty with a Numax 113Ah so chuffed with that. The question I have is about the onboard charger.

I have heard that leaving the van permanently on EHU when at home will boil the battery and shouldn't be done. Is this correct even for the newer vehicles ?

If this is the case I was wondering whether to change the charger for one that is designed to be left permanently connected but today saw on a website selling the Numax (which is designed to be left connected all the time) that the Numax can not be used as a replacement for the onboard charger?

Can anyone help? am I missing something obvious here ?

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I would suspect that the numax has a very low charge rate so using it to replace the onboard charger would result in flat batteries when the van is in use, whilst used as a a top up for natural wastage on a stored vehicle however would be fine. I hope I have made myself clear.

3. nic

nic Read Only Funster

the numax is rated at 10A if that means anything?

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Certainly should NOT be.

It's voltmeter time. Leave it on charge a few days, measure the voltage whilst connected and get back to us. Though if you see anything over 14.5V shut down immediately.

Ours is on month after month, I do have to top up the battery but only every other month or when I remember and the battery is 6 years old now. German Quality !!

5. nic

nic Read Only Funster

Will be going up the van tomorrow, its been on hook up all week so will get my meter out, I never thought of that obvious solution !

Cheers.

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the cheapest way when on hookup in storage is a timer.

assuming you store the van at home then just a simple plugin household timer is fine.
    set it to 15 minutes per day and forget about it.

the other option is turn the charger off and switch back on for a few hours once a fortnight. just remember to turn it off again.

the most efficient route is a 3 or 4 stage charger/power supply....they are designed to be left permenantly connected and will trickle charge when no load is applied.

i use one of these.....AMPOROR CHARGER

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

8. pappajohn

maybe so Jim, but what difference does it really make.

the original item it replaced was only a charger, not combined, so it charges the battery as battery power is used on the 12v circuits.

ok...if you want to run 12v stuff independant of a battery you will need a power supply/ charger but how many eurovans actually run 12v from a power supply ?

9. nic

nic Read Only Funster

I remember reading somewhere in the manual that the 12v system was designed to allow you to run 12v on EHU without a leisure battery, so the current unit must be a PSU as well as a charger.

I will have a look at the unit when I go up to the van and see if I can identify it..

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Nic

it will either be a combined charger/power supply unit or just a basic power supply unit with a constant 13.8v output, commonly fitted to many American RVs and euro vans.

Pappajohn is correct, you can run with only a charger, but as you say, if you have a flat/dead battery or remove it for any reason you won't have a regulated 12v supply for the van.

jim

11. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Vorsprung Durch Technik. :Smile:

12. nic

nic Read Only Funster

Ok, checked the voltage today and on charge its at 13.8v.

The charger is a nordelettronica ne143-s I have googled this but can't find anything out about it, does anyone have any more info ?

on another note I am considering adding a 2nd leisure battery, how important is it to match my existing 113 Ah battery ? I need to find room for the 2nd battery under the floor somewhere but would like to make it as big as possible. Is there any drawback with having a 113 and a 225 ?

13. pappajohn

a lot of people say all the batteries should be the same size and age but i've been thinking hard about this and providing they are all in good condition it shouldnt make much difference.

a poor/weak battery will quickly pull down a good one to the same charge state as the poor one but the actual amp/hr difference shouldnt really matter.

a 110ah battery will still only take 110amps regardless of what other capacity battery its connected to.

14. nic

nic Read Only Funster

Ok last question (on this subject !!)

I dont want to cut my floor and I dont want to stick the battery under the sofa as there is little enough room in there as it is due to the inboard water tank. I don't need easy access to the battery so was wondering if there is a box of some sort that I can fix under the floor that I can put the battery in? access would be from underneath and would involve some sort of door in the side of the box.

any thoughts on this ?

15. pappajohn

only found one mention of the 143-S and its on a spainish forum.

Swift fit the 143-MH which is a multi stage 15amp charger

16. pappajohn

is the original under the passengers seat or in the engine bay?

17. nic

nic Read Only Funster

Neither, battery box is cut into the floor by the sink. Doubt there is enough room under the Seat

18. pappajohn

oh well, just a thought.

maybe something could be fabricated and bolted to the chassis near the original.

19. nic

nic Read Only Funster

cheers PapaJohn, will get my tape measure out when I am up again today and see what I can work out. Might be easier to relocate the water tank under the chassis and put the battery under the seat !

20. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I'm very pleased to say that the Electoblok is real old technology. Proper circuit diagram, no microprocessors, good old fashioned moving coil meters. I know that this is repairable indefinitely with simple off the shelf components. Well, provided it does not actually catch fire which is always on the cards with very high current circuits.

We all read on here "unscrew the panel, unplug the power lead, wait, plug back in, screw panel to the wall" - how crap is that.

Progress "how to make a simple task very complicated just to make it look good for the sales guys".

Same in cars - do you want to lift this lever and slide your bum or do you want a computer that will move the seat and cost £1K if it ever goes wrong ?