IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
I'me starting to get our 5th wheel ready for use and got to change the 110v 55amp battery charger for a 240v charger.

Do i still need to find a 55amp or what?

I only have one battery and the 240v 40amp charger i have found states that it will charge a bank of batteries .

I have no inverter just shore power or 12v lighting ,blown heating, fridge ,radio toilet extractor fan

Help

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
What size and type battery do you have?

As a rule of thumb, charge a normal flooded lead acid battery at 1/10th it's stated capacity.

EG If you have 1 x 110amp battery - charger rated at 11 amp

HTH

Bryan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont forget, the charger will also be a 12v power converter/supply when on shore power so you will probably need a big 'un depending on your 12v usage.

thats usually the reason for such a big charger on US rv's/5ers.

when you consider most euro vans only have a 12/15amp charger/power supply you should be ok with a 40amp jobby.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What size and type battery do you have?

As a rule of thumb, charge a normal flooded lead acid battery at 1/10th it's stated capacity.

EG If you have 1 x 110amp battery - charger rated at 11 amp

HTH

Bryan

i see your point Bryan, but what if you constantly draw more than 11amps....your battery is being discharged.

12v fluorescent lamps, 12v tv, fridge PC board etc....soon adds up.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Maybe I have lost the idea of what you are trying to acheive here but surely you have a multi power fridge AC lpg 12v so you will have to get a 110/240volt transformer to run this and this will also run your 110 /12 volt system including charging your battery ? - for most 5'ers all that is needed for UK power usuage is to fit the transformer and possibly to convert the outside hookup point to the UK blue plug system but most people just have a USA plug to UK short lead doing the conversion

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
as Landy Lover says-------if it is a US 5er you will have microwave ? fridge ? air-con ? as well as the on-board charger unit? all these will be 110 unless changed to British units---------if this is so, you just need one unit to drop power down from 220 to 110 volts (hertz is wrong but only the micro-wave clock will know that ! AFAIK)
Our new 5er even has a 110 TV---all the 110 sockets still work as a lot of equipment is 110/220 eg. 'phone and laptop chargers.
There are quite a few 5ers here so don't be afraid to ask if you are unsure of anything------better ask than screw-up !!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
IanH

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
I have already been down the transformer route when i imported a Fleetwood Revolution and after a while things started going wrong ie the microwave ,washing machine ,aircon units and wiring on some of the appliances used to get rather warm .

This time i am opting for 240v conversion

The other concern over the transformer is do they use power from the supply as they just sit there humming away while nothing onboard is being used .Iask this as the site owner where the Revolution was sited was concerned about the amount of electric i used each month

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
They do use power while nothing is on, it will be felt as heat on the transformer, would not thought it would be a lot.

Nick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have already been down the transformer route when i imported a Fleetwood Revolution and after a while things started going wrong ie the microwave ,washing machine ,aircon units and wiring on some of the appliances used to get rather warm .

This time i am opting for 240v conversion

The other concern over the transformer is do they use power from the supply as they just sit there humming away while nothing onboard is being used .Iask this as the site owner where the Revolution was sited was concerned about the amount of electric i used each month

I would agree with you.. going 230v is definitely a good plan .. albeit a bit expensive. If I were buying another RV that would be my route.

As you know RVs have the capacity to use lots of leccy .. but the tranny isn't the culprit .. off load it is not using any significant amount ... it's what's hooked onto it that does. :roflmto:

When we were full time and on a CL I installed an Owl power monitor .. I was shocked at how much leccy we could use.. so was the site owner :RollEyes:

Back to your question .. a 40A charger should be adequate ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back