Free Member
Nov 21, 2012
San Javier, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
Just started again after a 7 year break
I have just installed a 120w solar charger on my 2001 hymer. It is connected to a ELB 99 via a LR1218 regulator. My question is how do I determine the real charge in my batteries, since hooking up the solar panel the reading on the hymer display panel shows 14v for both the vehicle and leisure batteries. I don't want to have to check at the actual batteries as they are located under the seats and I don' t want to have to disconnect the solar panel every time I want a reading.

adds666

Free Member
Jul 13, 2013
Horsham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Fulltiming Since May 2013
Hi Greycaster,

Electrically I think you will need to disconnect the solar panel momentarily while you read the battery condition display. Could be as simple as a little push to break switch that is capable of 10A.

This is because the panel is pumping out 14v to your battery and your condition gauge is reading this.

Either that or wait till its dark? Then the panel won't be supplying power and you can read just the battery.

Hope this helps

Adam

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as already said, you need to disconnect any charging source somehow....solar or mains

Checking at the battery will show exactly the same voltage as checking anywhere else in the system if the solar is charging

Wait until the sun has fully set, or better still, when its dark....that will give a more accurate reading..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
I have just installed a 120w solar charger on my 2001 hymer. It is connected to a ELB 99 via a LR1218 regulator. My question is how do I determine the real charge in my batteries, since hooking up the solar panel the reading on the hymer display panel shows 14v for both the vehicle and leisure batteries. I don't want to have to check at the actual batteries as they are located under the seats and I don' t want to have to disconnect the solar panel every time I want a reading.

You could install a NASA BM1 monitor or similar that shows you not only what is going into your batteries but also what is coming out.

51hdPhsl%2BtL._SX385_.jpg

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
We have a Morningstar PS-30 controller for our 3x125 w solar panels, this as you can see has a small LED display that continually scrolls through the battery volts, solar amps and load amps :thumb:

Link Removed

I also have bought a Nasa BM-1 (yet to be fitted) to tell be what is being drawn from my batteries.:Smile:

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The only way is the old fashioned way!::bigsmile:

Buy a battery hydrometer!:thumb:

OP
OP
G

greycaster

Free Member
Nov 21, 2012
San Javier, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
Just started again after a 7 year break
Thanks for the replies, looks like the best way is to check at night. Would the reading be affected by a street lamp?
Regards
Greycaster

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Thanks for the replies, looks like the best way is to check at night. Would the reading be affected by a street lamp?
Regards
Greycaster

If it is night time, the street lamp should not be an issue as the solar panel should be tucked up out of sight asleep underneath it's duvet.....:winky:

If you are worried about the street light or moonlight, just put a tarpaulin or something over the panel....

::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
don't forget that a false "surface" surface charge remains on the batteries up to one hour after charge has been removed so give that time to settle if you want the real reading. or as has been said use a hydrometer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back