Battery charge manager with solar controller

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by stevec, Jul 18, 2014.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

I'm about to fit a 120W solar system to my MH and also want to fit a battery charge manager (like the BCM12) to keep my cab battery topped up. I believe these charge managers switch over at something like 13.6 volts. My solar controller (Tracer MPPT) bulk charges at up to 14.2 volts (not quite sure of the exact figure as don't have the info in front of me). I believe that charging up to this voltage then going back to a maintenance voltage is better for the battery. This means that my leisure battery will never get a full charge as the BCM12 will switch over to the cab battery. Does this mean that I can't use a charge manager with my solar controller? How do I keep my cab battery topped up then? No doubt others have done this.

2. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Don't know about the BCM12, I use a Battery Master from vanbitz. It works in a different way have a look at their website. Don't forget your funster discount if you buy from them.

3. stevec

stevec Funster

Looks like the Vanbitz unit puts charge to the van battery when it falls half a volt below the leisure battery. With my MPPT charger putting out over 14 volts it will always be at least half a volt below (generally 12.8ish) so will always get charged. I 'll have to talk to vanbitz about it.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Agreed, but the bitz unit only charges at a max 1.1amps so it shouldnt have an adverse effect on the engine battery.
    No different than connecting a trickle charger to maintain the battery.....but you obviously dont need a 230v supply.