Battery charge manager with solar controller (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I'm about to fit a 120W solar system to my MH and also want to fit a battery charge manager (like the BCM12) to keep my cab battery topped up. I believe these charge managers switch over at something like 13.6 volts. My solar controller (Tracer MPPT) bulk charges at up to 14.2 volts (not quite sure of the exact figure as don't have the info in front of me). I believe that charging up to this voltage then going back to a maintenance voltage is better for the battery. This means that my leisure battery will never get a full charge as the BCM12 will switch over to the cab battery. Does this mean that I can't use a charge manager with my solar controller? How do I keep my cab battery topped up then? No doubt others have done this.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Don't know about the BCM12, I use a Battery Master from vanbitz. It works in a different way have a look at their website. Don't forget your funster discount if you buy from them.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Looks like the Vanbitz unit puts charge to the van battery when it falls half a volt below the leisure battery. With my MPPT charger putting out over 14 volts it will always be at least half a volt below (generally 12.8ish) so will always get charged. I 'll have to talk to vanbitz about it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looks like the Vanbitz unit puts charge to the van battery when it falls half a volt below the leisure battery. With my MPPT charger putting out over 14 volts it will always be at least half a volt below (generally 12.8ish) so will always get charged. I 'll have to talk to vanbitz about it.
Agreed, but the bitz unit only charges at a max 1.1amps so it shouldnt have an adverse effect on the engine battery.
No different than connecting a trickle charger to maintain the battery.....but you obviously dont need a 230v supply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back