Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Need to replace leisure batteries not sure whether to get gel batteries or lead acid elecsol leisure ? . I have elecsol batteries on my m/home now transferred them from my last M/Home, they are getting a bit tired now ,don't seem to hold there charge as long as they used to, they are about 5-6 yrs old .

.Was talking to the battery guy from Banner batteries at Newark show, he said that elecsol batteries were overpriced and they were no better than some cheaper lead acid batteries . he also said that ther were only three makes worth looking at they were Varta-Exide-and of course Banner.

I not sure what to do i am pretty clueless when it comes down to batteries .Dont mind paying for decent quality but i dont want to be ripped off by paying over the odds just for the name.:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Look here:

Link Removed

I bought six of these about a year ago:
Link Removed
They seem to be good quality, they've had a hard life and are still working perfectly.
I'm going to buy three more in the next couple of weeks, so that must be a recommendation!

PS - the above is a comment in the original thread of course.

Last edited:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Look here:

Link Removed

I bought six of these about a year ago:

Link Removed

They seem to be good quality, they've had a hard life and are still working perfectly.

I'm going to buy three more in the next couple of weeks, so that must be a recommendation!

:Smile:

Thats exactly the same as mine, next day delivery from Rochdale, no probs :thumb:

Incidentally I have since seen an identical battery to that Lucas one with a Numax label. It was on sale in Brownhills Newark shop for £2 more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Bought two of these batteries last year , seriously abused them by letting drop to 4 volts, recharged with decent charger and all ok. I am biased though because I come from Rochdale.:ROFLMAO:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Yes, following on from the previous thread, I also purchased two from Lucas Direct, (as they appear on e-bay) but the contact telephone number is the same as Alpha Batteries.

Just one point to watch, if you have the elecsol battery, installed in a battery box, the Lucas battery is taller, so do ensure your box is deep enough to accept the taller battery, thats if you go for Lucas, or any other make.

Mine are installed and working fine, came with a three year guarantee.:Smile:

Nomadic

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Need to replace leisure batteries not sure whether to get gel batteries or lead acid elecsol leisure ? . I have elecsol batteries on my m/home now transferred them from my last M/Home, they are getting a bit tired now ,don't seem to hold there charge as long as they used to, they are about 5-6 yrs old .

.Was talking to the battery guy from Banner batteries at Newark show, he said that elecsol batteries were overpriced and they were no better than some cheaper lead acid batteries . he also said that ther were only three makes worth looking at they were Varta-Exide-and of course Banner.

I not sure what to do i am pretty clueless when it comes down to batteries .Dont mind paying for decent quality but i dont want to be ripped off by paying over the odds just for the name.:thumb::thumb:

Agree, agree, Disagree. If their truck batteries are anything to go by that is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
i've had elecsols, no name batteries, some batteries used in portable traffic lights (bought legaly of course) and some US batteries 6 volters,

the elecsols lasted about 6 years as leisure batteries, then was used as my starter battery for 2 more years, accidentily left them discharged for 6 months, they bounced back,

the no name ones lasted 2 years at the very most, and would fail suddenly.

the traffic light batteries i firstly bought some second hand, they lasted about 3 years before their capacity fell too low for me, got some new uns, and i replaced them with a bigger bank a year and a half ago,

now i have 6 x us batteries, 6 volt 232 AH, linked in paralell and series to make a 12 volt 696 AH bank, these are true deep cycle batteries, usually used in those ride on electric floor cleaners used at airports,
they are claimed to have a life of upto 10 years, in my use 7 years should be obtainable (i use a lot of power, compressor fridge, eberspacher heating etc)

prices, the elecsols were the 110 ah jobbies, paid 88 quid each over 10 years ago,
no names, from 40 to 50 quid each, 85 to 110 ah ones.
the traffic light batteries, 115 AH, i had 4 of them, second hand 15 quid each, new 35 quid each.
the us batteries, 100 quid each,

of all of them, the us batteries seem the best, voltage holds up well, my biggest load is 150 amps when using the central vacuum off the inverter, voltage dosent sag below 12.3 when they have over 75% charge in them,

of course the deep cycle batteries arent for everyone, i wanted them so i can go long periods off electric hookup, i have 60 amps of mains charging, 25 amps of solar, a 2nd alternator on the engine for the house batteries only etc. not to mention they weigh 35 kilos each.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back