Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
Hi all

I have been reading threads regarding leisure batteries as I am intending to add another one to join my existing 85ah that is about 4 months old. The `best practice' advice that I have found is to add like for like so it will be another 85ah type.

I would like a bit of advice as follows:- is it better to knock up my own connecting lead or buy one?, and what is the best battery on a price to performance basis. I bought a Numax from Tayna last year for my car and have been very pleased with it, I notice they also sell leisure ones as well at a good price, are they good? are there any better, cheaper, or both?

Many thanks

Last edited:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
is it better to knock up my own connecting lead

If you have some quality cable, some quality lugs and access to a quality crimping tool then make your own. Otherwise it may be better to buy a ready-made of the correct length.

Soldering can be an option, but unless the preparation is perfect, the results will be poor.

The `best practice' advice that I have found is to add like for like so it will be another 85ah type.

This really includes the requirement that they be as identical as possible and while your battery is not old enough for age to be a consideration,you would be better getting the same brand and same model. Getting exactly the same capacity is not important provided they are the same plate chemistry.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi howard and elaine,

sorry cant help with type and make but the connection lead is easy.

try to keep both batteries as close to each other as possible. the further apart then the thicker the wires.

you should use a pair of 50amp minimum wires (about 1/8th" to 3/16ths" thick)...local motoring shop should have this, with crimp on end rings.
a fuse in BOTH ends of BOTH + and - wires is the safest bet, as close to the batteries as possible...you will get inline fuse holders (blade type)from the same motoring shop. i use 35amp blade type fuses cos im too tight to buy the 50a+ fuses and holders :Blush:.

insert the fuses as the very last connection job for safety.

the last thing you want is for a wire to chaffe through to earth.

connect + to + and - to - otherwise you will have a fire on your hands.

if the new battery has a vent tube then drill a small hole in the floor and push the vent pipe through and seal with a blob of silicon. battery gasses are explosive!!

my original is under the passenger seat and the second is behind the drivers seat....about 1.5 meter wire length.

someone will be along with battery advise. good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The Wild Ones

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
Ok Im pretty close to adding the 2nd leisure battery to my MH. The existing battery is a Numax L85 ah and is a current line so thats the good news, the bad news is I only have enough room for one in the battery locker so.... I am looking to fit the 2nd one under the passenger seat.

The numax is not listed as a sealed model, but strangely has no vent connection either? I am therefore looking to install their sealed version which is an 86ah type any thoughts?

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Battery

I have just had my campervan refurbished and it came with a 105 amp NUMAX battery that is supposed to be one of the best. I also have a Halfords 740 amp battery that is wired direct to a 1000 watt Inverter, which goes into the wiring loom to the 3 sockets in the van. When I am not on electric I can turn on the inverter to run the low wattage kettle, toaster and TV. It did not even dent it over 4 days. They wired it very cleverly too. It can be charged via the spit charger at the flick of a switch, by the main charger doing the same when on electrics, or via the alternator direct by a heavy duty swich that doubles it up with the engine battery. Loads of alternatives and perhaps something to look at. Just an idea.
Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have just had my campervan refurbished and it came with a 105 amp NUMAX battery that is supposed to be one of the best. I also have a Halfords 740 amp battery that is wired direct to a 1000 watt Inverter, which goes into the wiring loom to the 3 sockets in the van. When I am not on electric I can turn on the inverter to run the low wattage kettle, toaster and TV. It did not even dent it over 4 days. They wired it very cleverly too. It can be charged via the spit charger at the flick of a switch, by the main charger doing the same when on electrics, or via the alternator direct by a heavy duty swich that doubles it up with the engine battery. Loads of alternatives and perhaps something to look at. Just an idea.
Graham

jeez!!!! whats the output of your charger to charge 845amps of battery

those in the know reckon a charger with around 20% output of the total battery capacity is most efficient so that would be a 170ah charger:Eeek:

a battery that size would be physicaly massive so are you sure the 740ah is not the cold cranking amps or is it a typo and its really 140ah.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back