Sep 16, 2016
Eye, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Hi All.
We took delivery of our 2009 Autosleeper Nuevo on Monday 28th November and drove it down to our local farm where we are storing it. Went back 4-5 days later (after a cold, frosty week) to give it a run out and the vehicle battery was dead. Called out the AA who jump started it but said the vehicle battery was in poor condition (only capable of about 200A as opposed to 800A) and needed to be replaced. So I got a new battery fitted (which the dealer has paid for).

I have been taking her out at least once a week since for a good run and everything has been fine until this morning when I tried to start her up. Flat battery again but, having bought some jump leads, managed to start her myself. Because of the Christmas weekend, the last time I had taken her out was Sunday 18th so she has been idle for about 10 days this time.

I was trying to think what was draining the battery:
1. The alarm
2. The Autosleeper control panel must take a bit of power - it has a clock.
3. The solar panel controller lights are always on so this must also take some power. (Unfortunately the van is under cover so won't be getting much if any solar charging).

Is there anything else or is something amiss? Or was I being too optimistic expecting to go more than a week without charging the battery somehow?

Thanks
Richard

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
You almost certainly need a circuit tester to see what drain there is on the battery at rest and then how much there is when you turn alarms etc on. You probably need to look at all the lights/cupboards to see there is nothing on you don't know about. Getting back to everything off would be a start though.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I assume you have fitted a like for like battery and your habitation services are not drawing any power from your cab battery when laid up. Clearly there is a drain on the cab battery and the Alarm if fitted will eventually bring it down. The clock will have little impact over a week I would think, so I suspect the alarm for certain. If there is another drain you need to track it down and correct it if it's a fault. If not, your options are limited. A cheap multi meter will help you understand what is happening to your cab battery. Running it once a week is flogging a bit of a dead horse in my opinion.
You could disconnect your negative cable and this would stop any drain coming from your battery and if you have it in a secure location this may be your best option. Alternatively get it on hook up or out in the sunlight assuming your cab battery is connected to your solar feed and your solar panel is man enough to keep your battery topped up.
Best of luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Also just wondering what constitutes a "good run" in the winter. If the lights and heating are on it could do more harm than good. I'd drive it directly to a decent battery charger and leave it there all day ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
richardab

richardab

Free Member
Sep 16, 2016
Eye, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks all.
I have been taking it out for 45min-1hr in daylight so the battery should be getting a good charge. The AA patrolman who came out originally told me I should be running the engine for at least 45mins once a week but I will get the dealer to put a meter on it in the new year to see what is drawing the current.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back