Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Pip Squeaks
This is one where I totally can’t understand why there is such a difference in pricing when all the spec seems to be the same. If you’ve seen some of my posts before you might know I want to do the majority of my motorhome exploits as wild camping. I’ve recently purchased the vehicle , which has a brand new battery on it 110Ahr the link below is the battery which the company I bought it off put on for me.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV31MF-P3694.html

Also a link to the Numax PDF file if your interested.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/docs/catalogues/numax/numax-leisure.pdf
Now although it seems to get good reviews I want my battery bank to be as robust as possible, without turning it into an electric vehicle if you know what I mean.
I was considering Banner batteries but was shot down in another post when one Lenny HB said and I quote
“both my crap Banner AGM batteries died within a couple of days of each other” and also he said “if you search the German forums you will see how bad they are.”
Which you can understand put me off of them slightly.
Would it be beneficial if I could put two 115Ahr batteries in instead of two 110Ahr. I know it’s only 5Ahr extra per battery but the old saying every little helps comes to mind.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/EXV115-Enduroline-Calcium-Leisure-Battery-P8283.html

So I know some of you scientific guys out there know all about batteries and the tech stuf so I would like some input as to what you think I should go for remembering I want them to be as robust as possible within my limits.

Also I would still like to hear from you if you have had good or bad experiences with batteries also what battery banks you have and if you are a wild camper or mainly a site camper.

My battery dimensions are 330mm Length 172mm Width and 242mm Ht Inc terminals this is the biggest battery I can fit but have space for another one of the same dimensions alongside.
Many Thanks Tony

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
CA_11051519031424-L.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm not sure what you are asking? The more battery capacity the better. It's as simple as that I think, although I doubt in the real world you would notice any really difference between 110 and 115 Ah but if the latter fit, then get them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Techno...
A quick question re your batteries. Shouldn't the +ve connection to the 2nd battery be via an in-line fuze? I only ask because the second on my new van is connected via an in-line fuze, but the connectors were quite loose. It was coming apart with the vibration when on the road. I have put a good squeeze on them now but I am not sure I really trust them.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Techno Is this an electric vehicle your running? :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Techno...
A quick question re your batteries. Shouldn't the +ve connection to the 2nd battery be via an in-line fuze? I only ask because the second on my new van is connected via an in-line fuze, but the connectors were quite loose. It was coming apart with the vibration when on the road. I have put a good squeeze on them now but I am not sure I really trust them.
It's four batteries in parallel connected with 35mm welding cable. The only fuses are on the load connections.
Here
CA_11081517510469-L.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Techno...
With the batteries being so close there is very little chance of any any short circuit damage occuring so fuses are a necessity in this case.

If there is any possibilty of damage to link cables then a fuse at EACH end of the link is required.
The reason for two fuses.....

If the cable gets a short circuit to earth the fuse will blow, but the second battery is still connected and unprotected.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Techno Why does you wireing look like it could take the power of the national grid going through it and mine looks like crap. Did you make the cables yourself or were they like that when you bought your motorhome?
I don't think I could make mine as neat and good looking as yours as I have not access above my battery box. Pics below :-(

20160418_120652.jpg

20160418_182354.jpg

20160418_182337.jpg

Many Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Yours looks like Autotrail shite
Your 100% correct I'm feeling misserable now :-(
I was hopeing you were going to say that looks fine, but I had my doubts.
Thanks anyway Best Wishes

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You basically have two sets of battery leads from the Sargent panel but only one set is being used.
Some people choose to join them together effectively doubling the cable size and reducing the volts drop.
They then connect the batteries together making them effectively one big battery.

That would be my recommendation

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Some people choose to join them together effectively doubling the cable size and reducing the volts drop.
So basically the two wires are connected to the same + and - connections of the Sargent pannel is that correct if so connecting them together sounds like a good Idea to me, I might see if I can go down that route.
Many Thanks Tony

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not Banner then LOL
Go on go for Banner it will give you something to do replacing them every 12 - 18 months, also helps to get rid of the kids inheritance as they don't honor warranties.:)

Hi Techno Why does you wireing look like it could take the power of the national grid going through it and mine looks like crap. Did you make the cables yourself or were they like that when you bought your motorhome?
I don't think I could make mine as neat and good looking as yours as I have not access above my battery box. Pics below :-(

View attachment 101980

View attachment 101982
View attachment 101983

Many Thanks Tony
Blimey wouldn't want to connect anything more than one reading lamp to those cables, must take weeks to recharge the batteries with the volt drop you will get with that size cable.:D

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Blimey wouldn't want to connect anything more than one reading lamp to those cables, must take weeks to recharge the batteries with the volt drop you will get with that size cable
Your right Lenny I'm a bit worried about them, I was thinking how difficult would it might be to replace them with more substantial wireing. :-(

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Techno It looks like your the Guru for batteries on this thread, if I buy the two batteries on your link will I be able to utilize the 110Ahr battery I already have? so three batteries in parallel.
Many Thanks Tony

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Your right Lenny I'm a bit worried about them, I was thinking how difficult would it might be to replace them with more substantial wireing. :-(
Hi again, there are only two ways of doing what you want, to quote Jack Dee "Either you do it, or some other buggar does it!"
If you aren't familiar with parallel circuits, I would favour the latter :)
The simple rule is, the bigger the distance that the electricity has to travel, the bigger the wire you need. Or to put it another way, ohms law! :D

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
If you aren't familiar with parallel circuits, I would favour the latter
I think you might be right, I don't understand the mentality of Autotrail to fit the vehcile with what I would call inadequate wireing. Obviously it does the job but only just I would say.
I would never of imagined with a vehicle of so called this quality that I would be thinking of getting some rewireing done, it pisses me off a bit, sorry about the language.
Best Wishes Tony

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would not connect the old battery to the new ones.
The pair I listed at 250ah will be enough for your charger to cope with and the old one will drag them down

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I thought you had problems with it? If it is OK then fine if three will fit

But still I don't know the quality of the sargent charger AND consider payload

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
But still I don't know the quality of the sargent charger
No I think it's ok I've just charged it up and will monitor it over the next few days, I think personaly I've probably been a bit unrealistic about what I expect from such a battery and reading the Volts straight from the battery and everyones help has brought me to the conclusion that I was expecting to go from Southampton to Glasgow on a gallon of petrol if you see what I mean.
Best Wishes Tony

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I measured someones leisure battery on Sunday and it was 1.7 volts :LOL: I've never found one that fubar'd before :eek:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
No I think it's ok I've just charged it up and will monitor it over the next few days, I think personaly I've probably been a bit unrealistic about what I expect from such a battery and reading the Volts straight from the battery and everyones help has brought me to the conclusion that I was expecting to go from Southampton to Glasgow on a gallon of petrol if you see what I mean.
Best Wishes Tony
We just did a wilding weekend down in Newhaven, admittedly we were blessed with glorious sunshine to give the batteries a boost. But, daughter spent most of the evening on Netflix (router powered by mains) my wife and I had cappuccino before bed. We had the hot air blowers on all night because it was a bit chippy outside, we charged up 2 laptops, and 3 iPhones. And in the morning, Americanos were served up. Our only source of power is an inverter, and 2 banner 100ah batteries (and 150w solar on the roof), they never skipped a beat. By the time we moved off our battery monitor said that we were at 80%.
I don't think you are being unrealistic at all, perhaps you need to get out and try it without worrying about power consumption. Before we put the monitor in, I was forever switching stuff off, now I am much more relaxed about the whole power consumption malarkey :D

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I don't think you are being unrealistic at all, perhaps you need to get out and try it without worrying about power consumption
I must say I’m a bit paranoid about running out of power but, I think your right get out and try it.
Many Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Bit off topic but does anyone know how to check if the solar panel is working?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Bit off topic but does anyone know how to check if the solar panel is working?
Your controller should have an extra set of terminals, marked 'load' put a multi tester across those in the daytime, you should get a reading if it is working.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back