Batteries

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dulvil, Jan 12, 2016.

1. dulvil

dulvil Funster

I have ordered a new frankia and it comes with only one 85amp gel battery.The cost for one more 85 gel battery is about £300+ .Now which is the way forward, sell supplied gel and fit two 110 wet batteries or buy another gel.?Thoughts please

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

3. dulvil

dulvil Funster

Sorry forgot they update the charger as well

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Presumably a brand new van you have ordered .. ?

In the grand scheme of things, it's a small cost on top of the price of a new Frankie

I would order with the extra gel battery .. the cost of Gel battery is about £150 + time to fit and set charger ..

DIY and you may void the charger warranty

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Tanya batteries £145.
    Hymer do the same offer an additional chargers with a second batteries, most dealers are happy to fit just the battery. Would only need the uprated charger if you were often charging the batteries from flat.
    I have 200 watts of solar and rarely use mains for charging so for my own use the uprated charger would not be used.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

indeed.. replaced both last year

Order Details

Product Quantity Price
    ES900 Exide G80 Marine and Multifit Gel Leisure Battery 80Ah 2 £149.90
    P&P £15.19
    TOTAL £315.00

• Like Like x 1
  7. dulvil

dulvil Funster

Looks like fitting my own, cheers all

8. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Did they update the charger or flick a switch?

9. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

You get additional charger with second battery.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dulvil

dulvil Funster

Why do you need another charger? The one charger works for two batteries on my van? Tell me more

11. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

Think Lenny's summed it up above. Extra capacity when charging fully depleted batteries. Frankia fit Schaudt stuff so one charger is within the Electroblock then second battery and additional charger offered as option (I think!!). The additional charger plugs into the Electroblock IIRC?

12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

The fitting of an additional charging unit is to prevent putting excess strain on the single charging unit. Assuming the Frankia does have a Schaudt system, then the Elektroblock (EBL) standard charging and 12V control unit will handle two batteries of around 80-100 Ah each satisfactorily. It contains within it a LAS1218 charging module.
    My Hymer came from the factory (several years ago now) with 2 x 80 Ah gels and a single EBL99. The EBL manual (and I have checked those for recent EBL models too) refers to a minimum battery loading of 55 Ah but also refers to charging time for 80 Ah and 160 Ah of batteries, so presumably they expect it to be charging two typical-sized habitation batteries. In practice, I have used mine with 2 x 80 Ah Exide gels, 2 x 110 Ah Elecsol and now 2 x 90 Ah Varta. I think if one were fitting three or more habitation batteries it would be prudent to add the extra charge module (a stand-alone LAS1218) which plugs into the base EBL and 230V and then acts as a single larger unit. I know that Hymer used to fit this extra unit on the larger S-class models (e.g. S820) but then they had three hab. batteries as standard. Of course, the additional LAS1218 works only when connected to mains hook-up. It is not relevant to alternator or solar charging.

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Do you need more than 85Ah? We only have one 85Ah battery and we have been fine for the almost 4 years we have had the van.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Don't see how you can survive with only one, 85 A/H that will only give 43 A/H of useful power or 68 A/H if a Gel (@80% DOD), we use around 25 - 30 A/H per day at this time of year, on a dull rainy day no input from solar on a bright sunny day only a few A/H's. If we charge the e-bikes that can be up to 80 A/H gone in a few hours.

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It will be 4 years on 3rd February and we've survived OK so far :) We've hardly ever used EHU when we are away (though, granted, we don't go for more than a few days at this time of year). We only need electrical power for lights, water pump, blown air heating fan and recharging phones &c.

16. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

It all depends on what you do with it and if you have solar or not (and if the sun shines), with solar you should end the day with full battery/batteries so you only need to last overnight and 85ah could be fully charged again by before lunch.

Th more you have the more you use.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

No chance in Dec or Jan in the UK, I have 200 watt of solar last month lucky to get 2 or 3 A/H a day not going to replace 30 A/H.

18. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

That will work fine for you with what you are drawing from your single 85amp battery, however the average MH draws around 30/40amps a day ( I have posted about this before ) and therefore a 85amp battery will not survive the beating. As @lennyhb states 2/3amps per hour a day in the UK from solar is not going to help. At this time of the year even here in Spain I would be lucky to pull 7/10 amps per hour from my 200watts solar. Just my pennies worth.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I don't dispute that - and many will use more than 30/40 amps a day. It all depends, as Martin said, what you do with it. We have managed fine for a weekend in all months of the year, and for longer in most months, using just the one battery and 80W solar panel (which has always managed to recharge overnight use during the day).

When we bought our van we wondered about getting a second battery when we had the solar panel fitted and were advised to see how we managed before doing so. That is basically what I was saying in response to the OP's "Thoughts please".

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Putting it simply...
    If like us you tend to use the one eyed monster ( telly ) a lot then extra battery.. If like Graham you do not then no problem with a single battery ;)(y)

• Like Like x 2