Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Thanks @pappajohn I've to investigate this CAC computer automatic charger. A quick google shows that it's made by Buttner Electronics and fitted to Frankias. So what the hell does it do? Looking closer at the pics it might be turned off but I'm afraid to go in and start hitting buttons with my track record!!!

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
@TheWM: Your picture of "beneath the cover of the battery" looks like a standard Ducato vehicle battery installation, and doesn't look to have any additional charging circuit cables to it.
Your CAC unit seems to be just a battery charger. Depending on which model it is, it could be capable of charging both batteries; see: http://www.autotec.ie/Buttner_Products/Buttner ..pdf about 2/3 way through the document. I've had two Frankias but they are fitted with Schaudt charging units rather than Buttner, so I can't help any further.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
@TheWM: Your picture of "beneath the cover of the battery" looks like a standard Ducato vehicle battery installation, and doesn't look to have any additional charging circuit cables to it.
Your CAC unit seems to be just a battery charger. Depending on which model it is, it could be capable of charging both batteries; see: http://www.autotec.ie/Buttner_Products/Buttner ..pdf about 2/3 way through the document. I've had two Frankias but they are fitted with Schaudt charging units rather than Buttner, so I can't help any further.
That's brilliant thanks that's more info I have managed to find.

So I assume just to be used on ehu to keep batteries topped up. Will see if I can figure out how many batteries it is looking after.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Ok tried turning on the charger this morning to see if it would run off solar. Nope. So I'm going to try running ehu overnight see if that automatically tops up the batteries. If not then switch the charger on whilst on ehu. Doesn't seem to make sense to have a solar panel running separately to the starter batter without a battery master. Unless he parked in a garage where he couldn't get any sun. Who knows. Anyone contacted previous owners of their MH's to ask for advice?

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Our previous van was a Rapido and it was fitted as standard with a split charge relay and also standard connection for solar panels. All that had to be done was to connect to a box in the garage and leisure batteries and starter battery were both kept charged.
The dealer who did our solar installation was going to remove the box and do the wiring his normal way until I stopped home and pointed him at the Rapido manual which showed clearly how to cable the panel.
(It wasn't the only thing he got wrong on the installation. :censored:)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Anyone contacted previous owners of their MH's to ask for advice?

Bought our van from a dealer where the previous owner had traded in. Phoned him to ask a couple of questions and got invited for a cup of tea and bought a Gaslow system and external screens from him that the dealer wasn't interested in (y)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
OK - after 'EHUgate' as soon as I plugged in to EHU, the battery charger sprung into life and lifted the starter battery from 11.2v to 12v in a matter of minutes. Whilst I still feel having a battery master will ultimately be a better longer term solution with the solar panel - there is a quick way to get the starter to max. I guess in the short term, we won't go camping without EHU for longer than a week at a time with the kids so there's not an immediate need. Although I feel the need to write to the previous owner to ask why he installed the battery charger, when ultimately this was more expensive that a battery master route given that he has gone down the solar panel route. And there I was thinking Germans were a model of efficiency.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
@TheWM, I fear there might be some misunderstanding here. Assuming you have only one battery charger(!) its function is to translate 240v mains power into 12v to charge the batteries. It seems that your charger is charging both batteries, which is great.

The solar panel (I assume) was installed as an after-market fitment. It will not provide 240v, but on some installations it can feed into the same charging system and thus charge both batteries. It sounds as though your panel might be connected directly to the leisure battery, which is quite common in an after-market fitment, and if so it will not charge the starter battery. Makems' comments above indicate how some suppliers fit a solar panel by-passing the charging system when it should be done by connecting it to the Rapido system, then the solar panel will also charge both batteries.

As far as I am aware, it is not good practice to install a battery master or similar battery-to-battery charger if your charger is connected to both batteries in the first place. It might confuse or corrupt the charger's performance.

Warning! I am not an electrician, although I am competent on 12v electrics. I suggest you need a manual for your installation and/or someone knowledgeable to have a look at it. I hope I've not been teaching Granny to suck eggs - just trying to be helpful. Good luck!
Stephen

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
@TheWM, I fear there might be some misunderstanding here. Assuming you have only one battery charger(!) its function is to translate 240v mains power into 12v to charge the batteries. It seems that your charger is charging both batteries, which is great.

The solar panel (I assume) was installed as an after-market fitment. It will not provide 240v, but on some installations it can feed into the same charging system and thus charge both batteries. It sounds as though your panel might be connected directly to the leisure battery, which is quite common in an after-market fitment, and if so it will not charge the starter battery. Makems' comments above indicate how some suppliers fit a solar panel by-passing the charging system when it should be done by connecting it to the Rapido system, then the solar panel will also charge both batteries.

As far as I am aware, it is not good practice to install a battery master or similar battery-to-battery charger if your charger is connected to both batteries in the first place. It might confuse or corrupt the charger's performance.

Warning! I am not an electrician, although I am competent on 12v electrics. I suggest you need a manual for your installation and/or someone knowledgeable to have a look at it. I hope I've not been teaching Granny to suck eggs - just trying to be helpful. Good luck!
Stephen

No worries - this is useful. I do have some paperwork in German, so I'm going to call my mate auto-elektric Fritz*

I'd hazard a guess that an aftermarket installer has indeed done as has been suggested and linked it to the leisure batteries, rather than including it onto the system.

I too did think of whether now fitting a battery master may do more harm than good given the various inputs to different batteries.

So - the plan could/should be - seeing if the solar wiring can be reintegrated into the Rapido system perhaps?

* he doesn't exist - but sarf london Mike does, who is his cousin once removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back