Batteries not charging on solar

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by mickymouse, Mar 17, 2016.

1. mickymouse

mickymouse Read Only Funster

Hi, can any one help? I have two solar panels fitted but they are not charging the leisure batteries the van is a Hymer 660 2005 fitted with a EBL 101 control block, when I remove the plug from the solar regulator and put the meter on I am getting 14.2v coming out of it. when I replace the plug the DT201 panel over the door reads minus 0.4amp [new batteries fitted], if I go onto EHU or run the engine the panel shows plus 5.5 amp, any advice appreciated and does anyone have a user manual for the EBL 101
    Thanks Mickymouse

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Is fuse intact? Are you using a shault controller?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Rather than removing a plug to test the solar voltage, have you tried putting your meter across the leisure battery terminals when the sun is shining, to check what they are receiving? It could be that the charge displayed by the DT201 is incorrect.
    I am not sure from your post, exactly which plug you have pulled to test the solar voltage. If it was between the regulator and the EBL (or leisure batteries if it is wired direct) this is not a good plan as it can cause the solar regulator to fail. The link between regulator and battery(ies) needs to be kept so the output from the regulator has somewhere to go.
    Is the problem recent and has everything worked properly in the past or is this a long-standing issue?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

Is the solar control box wired through the elektroblock or independant? Only saying as mine was independant and I had the same problem which turned out to be the elektroblock,not saying yours is though.I sent mine back to schaudt in germany for repair.I've attached the hymer manual for 2005 models elektroblock info etc starts around page 114

Attached Files:

6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The open circuit voltage from the panel should be much higher than 14.4v with a bit of sunshine. As above do not disconnect the batteries from the regulator without first disconnecting the solar panel.
    To test, you don't need to disconnect anything. Your battery voltage should be over 12.8v (may be as much as 14.4v) with the sun shining, measured at the leisure battery, if there is some charging. Control panel voltage/current readings aren't always very accurate, mine are out by around 0.2v but OK as a guide.

• Like Like x 1
  7. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Have you disconnected the leasure batteries at some time as this could have an effect

Joe

8. mickymouse

Many thanks for the replies, suggestions and manuals.
    The problem is new, the DT 201 appears to be OK as then putting meter across batteries they are not being charged, the solar regulator is wired into the EBL 101.
    I am thinking of wiring the solar regulator directly onto the batteries, is this Ok? And do I need to put a fuse inline? If so what size?
    Thanks Mickymouse

9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Not a good idea to wire directly to the batteries. This can cause problems with the EBL101/DT201 combination. Do you have a Schaudt regulator as a 'foreign' model can cause trouble too. If there is no solar voltage at the batteries, it suggests the regulator may have a fault. Also, have you got the manual for the DT201 as it contains some warnings about the solar setting.

10. mickymouse

I will have to check tomorrow which make of regulator is fitted, and no I don't have a manual for the DT201.

11. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Did you check the solar fuse in the Ebl101?

12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Here is the manual - I was going to point you to the Schaudt website download section, but it's quicker just to upload it here. Good point by Boringfrog to check the solar fuse on the EBL. If it has blown it begs the question 'why' of course.
    n.b. I don't have this system so cannot comment from direct experience - mine is the earlier EBL99 / IT992 panel and is fed by a Schaudt LR1218 solar regulator.

Attached Files:

13. mickymouse

Checked the fuse first of all, I always look for the simple things first.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mickymouse

Van has a Schaudt LR 1214 solar regulator, put the meter across the battery terminals definitely not charging and plenty of sun.
    Removed solar panel leads and reading 20.5v coming from panels. With solar panel leads remove and putting meter across the leads going from the regulator to the EBL101 reading is 12.7v same as I get when I measure across the batteries?
    I think the regulator is faulty.

15. Techno

You need the regulator instructions as the wires need to be connected in specific order as dictated by schaudt

16. mickymouse

17. Techno

18. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

19. Techno

deleted

20. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

LR1214 was superseded by LR1218 - the principal difference being the latter's higher current capacity (18 amps versus 14 amps).
    The issue of order of cable connection is to do with connecting the solar panel to the LR1218/14. The installation instructions state: "Finally, connect the solar modules to the solar charge regulator". In other words, all other cables must be connected first and the +ve from the solar panel to the regulator connected last. Similarly, if disconnecting, the +ve from the solar panel to the regulator must be disconnected first.

Based on your assessment and earlier comments, I too would suspect that the LR1214 is faulty. My recommendation would be to email Udo lang at Schaudt explaining exactly what you have observed and ask him for advice. Udo.Lang@schaudt-gmbh.de

• Like Like x 4