Batteries again

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Rayb182, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

Just to jump on the battery band wagon,...................was speaking to John Jaws about the batteries, how before we came away filled with deironised water, and to Alan (Bee) about the state of the batteries, well "sods law" a couple nights ago lost all charge in them right down to 10.5v, checked the levels and lost all water where on ehu must have "boiled" it away, but as 5 years old so I suppose thats the life of them.
    Back on ehu in campsite at Le Mont St. Michel, for a few days with all this nice weather, slowly coming home.

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Boiling out a battery on hook up doesn't happen in a day or two
    unless your systems are seriously over charging, it needs checking before new battery is fitted
    maybe you have a cracked battery
    Geo

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

or a faulty charger...agree with Geo, it takes time to dry out a battery and usually needs in excess of 14v continuosly

4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Knackered cells can overheat and gas like Krakatoa, even with the correct charging voltage.
    I have seen this many times whilst at work.

I agree, check your charging voltages, but I reckon it is seriously new battery time!:Smile:

5. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

So when I sit in the Rapido and watch the meter showing 14.1v when its not on hookup is that OK then?

I did read somewhere that there was a rough table of how fully charged the battery was (Sundance has memorised them).:RollEyes:

Normally we wake up in the morning and the meter shows either 12.5 or 12.7v I am assuming that they are therefore full or nearly full?

Lastly, I have 2 x 80w solar and 2 x 110A batteries, what watts/amps should I be looking for on a cloudy day and also in full sun?

Just wondering...

6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I get the same on solar 14.1v, but charging current is 0.00Amps. Charging current only comes on again if voltage falls below 13.6v and then only for a few seconds and then shuts off again. I think its got something to do with equalisation and desulphating. It will not charge above 13.6v on ehu buts thats because the van charger is quite primitive and is just a float charger I think.

Edit I got 12A from the solar today (cloudy but brightish) with 4x80w panels, but that was with the water pump running to fill up the hot tank, as my batteries are all fully charged so normally no charging at all.

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Hi Dave, i have a 170w 'BP solar' panel which, in good daylight without sun, gives me a couple of amps and in full sun i get around 12/13amps.

this is using a Bluesky MPPT controller.