sueone

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2013
I would be grateful for any tips on which type of sealant to use in the bathroom of my autocruise. The area around the sink and down at floor level between the tray and the walls need particular attention. I was thinking of using a sealant strip around the sink??? I have got good old home type bathroom sealant but am unsure whether it is suitable given the amount of movement in the motorhome etc. Thanks in advance for any help. Happy winter travelling to those brave enough to head out.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I'm in the building trade and i always use Dow Corning

Have a look on their web site and get the bathroom sealant that is mold resistant.

Ill have a look in the garage in a mo see if i got the number

Don't bother paying over the odds for other makes called forever white and lasts for up to 10 years, its crap (n)

Personally i wouldn't fit plastic strips they just harbor mold

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just had a look

Dow Corning 785 bacteria resistant available in clear or white from builders merchants should be around Ā£5 a tube

Its the dogs dangle bits :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
I'm in the building trade and i always use Dow Corning

Have a look on their web site and get the bathroom sealant that is mold resistant.

Ill have a look in the garage in a mo see if i got the number

Don't bother paying over the odds for other makes called forever white and lasts for up to 10 years, its crap (n)

Personally i wouldn't fit plastic strips they just harbor mold

I'm also in the building trade (kitchen fitter) the above answer is 100% right.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm normally pleased with Dow Corning bacteria & mould resistant sealant but I used some in September and it was mould stained within 2 months.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I'm normally pleased with Dow Corning bacteria & mould resistant sealant but I used some in September and it was mould stained within 2 months.

You couldn't have been wiping it down enough i would guess ;)

It wont stop it just helps defend against it (y)

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I used 785 on my self build, be very careful ab try it first as it would not stick to the wallboards which were new. I can't remember which I used in the end but will check.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

I've not seen it go mouldy so fast before and I don't think that the users different to the previous residents

We don't wipe down our own shower and it takes months for mould to start - the sealant in this shower was stripped in early Sept. and the area wiped down with mould killer before new sealant was applied. The mould after three months was worse than after 6 years of previous use.

Fortunately, I've found HG mould remover does a pretty good job of removing the mould staining.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I've not seen it go mouldy so fast before and I don't think that the users different to the previous residents

We don't wipe down our own shower and it takes months for mould to start - the sealant in this shower was stripped in early Sept. and the area wiped down with mould killer before new sealant was applied. The mould after three months was worse than after 6 years of previous use.

Fortunately, I've found HG mould remover does a pretty good job of removing the mould staining.

Dont know whats going on there then :(

HG is spot on stuff

I used to do a lot of work on rental properties, lets say they weren't 5 star, should have seen what i used to have to clean up prior to starting work.
HG did it for me every time (y)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I used 785 on my self build, be very careful ab try it first as it would not stick to the wallboards which were new. I can't remember which I used in the end but will check.

Possibly some form of oil or sealer on the board?

Its unusual for any silicone not to stick, its normally like s**t to a blanket

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Dont know whats going on there then :(

HG is spot on stuff

I used to do a lot of work on rental properties, lets say they weren't 5 star, should have seen what i used to have to clean up prior to starting work.
HG did it for me every time (y)

HG Mould remover, grease away, lime scale removers and grout cleaners - they all seem to work well. Do they produce anything else that works really well?

OP
OP
sueone

sueone

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you one and all for your most welcome advice. I'll get to work soon resealing my bathroom with Dow Corning ready for some spring travelling. One reason though why I was considering sealing strip around the sink, was because the sink has cracked quite badly where it attaches to the wall, right around where one of the securing poppers was. The popper is now missing and the dealership doesn't deal with spares for a van of its age (2002). I'm worried about water getting down the back of the sink. The whole unit seems quite fragile now. I'm going to have to make sure no weight is put on it in future that's for sure. Has anyone else experienced and overcome a similar problem. Thank you.

HymeritesWe2

Free Member
Jul 11, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2008
Sikaflex has been recommended to us as an excellent sealant & adhesive for motorhomes. Might be an idea to give this a try Sue. You can find it on Amazon and Ebay.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi I have use one called The Works comes in white/clear can get it from Buildbase or B and Q also says it will work if surface is damp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back