Bathroom leak

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Locky, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Locky

Locky Read Only Funster

I know it is my own fault because i did not drain down properly but i think i have some frost damage to a pipe behind the panel that houses the sink unit. The problem is i would have to remove the whole unit to get to it. When i turn on the water pump water is flowing from behind the unit into the shower tray.

Has anyone tackled this sort of repair before and is it an easy job. I am not great at DIY so i am wondering if it is a job for proffesional.

The van is a swift kontiki 640/6 1994.

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

is there no access whatsoever from below......in an undersink cupboard etc?

on my 2001 640L all the bathroom pipes are in the cupboard below the sink.

it shouldnt be a difficult job to remove the unit but there may be a sequence to taking things out......the shower tray being the first thing fitted so last out.
    all the fixings will be concealed so you need a torch and good eyes.

the chances are its the connection to the taps and a new 'adaptor' will be needed or the 'T' pieces to the shower from the tap pipes.

3. Locky

Locky Read Only Funster

Thanks. We do not have a cupboard underneath just a sealed plastic unit from floor to ceiling.

With my lack of DIY skills i am likely to cause more damage by attempting this myself.

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. Last year.

The shower valve was pushed apart by the ice.

I was lucky with my Burstner, I did have to remove half the walls in the shower but eventually I had the valve in my hand and glued it together, cost zero.

I can't help with your layout, all I did was keep removing screws CAREFULLY until I got closer and closer. Never pull hard. It's a good idea to make notes and take pictures as you go along.

If it's a criminally bad design they may have bonded the sink in, fingers crossed they haven't.

5. Autoquest

Autoquest Read Only Funster

I have removed a unit which appears to be similar. Gently remove all screw caps and remove all visible screws - next, I had to use a long sharp bendy blade and slice through endless sikaflex that secured the vanity unit to the wall - Remove the vanity unit carefully as its' a perfect fit and now, very flimsy (remove any mirror doors first). This should reveal the problem further. It's not hard but you need to be a bit sporty to attempt it. :Smile:

6. Locky

Locky Read Only Funster

Thanks for your help.

It was not as bad as i had expected. I managed to remove the sink and this gave me access to everything i needed. There was not any frost damage, just a pipe to the hot water tap had become detached. Simple job and all is now working well. I must have saved a fortune as i nearly booked it in at my local dealer to be fixed.

This is the first time i have attempted a repair myself and now i will have the confidence to tackle future issues if they arise.

More importantly i should be able to get away next weekend now.:BigGrin:

7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

I would not have charged you a fortune and if you had rung Glenn or Ian, I am sure they would have ben happy to advise you how to fix it.

Peter

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Nice one.

Now go and buy the book "Brain Surgery for Dummies" and you'll be prepared for everything.