Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have stopped at the Bath Marina Campsite quite a few times now. You can get the park and ride bus from just outside the site. Or you can walk for 20minutes or so along the canal towpath into town. (y)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
http://www.newtonmillpark.co.uk
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...a_and_Caravan_Park-Bath_Somerset_England.html

I don't know the second site.
If you're in C&CC there's Devizes club site, open all year round. Short walk ( 1 minute) to bus stop.

If you drive into Bath check out the Park and Rides. But even for the racecourse one you have to get there early. You can park on the road ( hill) leading up to it and the bus will stop for you.

Alternatively if you're outside Bath go to Bradford on Avon station and catch the train.

If you want to wildcamp maybe somewhere like Newton St Loe would be OK?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Don't do it.

I went last year mid December - chaotic.

Just one big jostling queue, absolutely awful.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
It's a bit like christmas itself, what you imagine is never the reality.

In your mind your thinking, a nice stroll around the market, crisp sunny day, you are walking hand in hand, snuggled up in cashmere, sipping some mulled wine exclaiming with delight at all the lovely gift ideals for friends and family, with christmas carols floating in the air. Everyone is full of christmas cheer and goodwill to all men.

The truth is rows of sheds selling wonky crafts or eye wateringly expensive olive oil dipping bowls.
It's heaving with grumpy tourists, all with umbrellas determined to take your eye out and massive shopping bags banging against your legs. You shuffle along, swept up in this tide of human misery to the sound track of Slade and the stink of fried onions.

But don't let me put you off, we used to live in Bath. Get there early.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We enjoy the bath market it has got very busy and expensive but enjoy the festive hot toddies have fun .

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We live 5 miles away and avoid it like the plague! Dawn has described it perfectly - only missing out the American and Japanese tourists and Big Issue sellers! Go anywhere but Bath but if you ignore us, the site that Jim mentioned is your best bet.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Yes it does get very very busy, as bus loads of tourists come. But i have found during the week in the morning it is lovely. Some things are expensive, but there is lot that isn't. I have bought some unusual gifts and some stocking fillers. I like the atmosphere, especially if you pick a cold crisp morning. There is a food tent where a pie business has a stall, best pies ever :). I buy a salmon one and a beef one, freeze them for boxing day.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It's a bit like christmas itself, what you imagine is never the reality.

In your mind your thinking, a nice stroll around the market, crisp sunny day, you are walking hand in hand, snuggled up in cashmere, sipping some mulled wine exclaiming with delight at all the lovely gift ideals for friends and family, with christmas carols floating in the air. Everyone is full of christmas cheer and goodwill to all men.

The truth is rows of sheds selling wonky crafts or eye wateringly expensive olive oil dipping bowls.
It's heaving with grumpy tourists, all with umbrellas determined to take your eye out and massive shopping bags banging against your legs. You shuffle along, swept up in this tide of human misery to the sound track of Slade and the stink of fried onions.

But don't let me put you off, we used to live in Bath. Get there early.

Yep, that pretty much sums up my experience last year.

It was a relief to get out of the place.

The best part of the day was being entertained by one of the street performers outside the Roman Baths.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Bath's like that all the time! Apart from the Slade tracks maybe (y)

/QUOTE]

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Last time I was there we didn't need a campsite - I'd entered a magazine competition and won a night in a 5 star hotel, so we did it in style. That said, the shuffling round sheds thing (described beautifully above) had more appeal for my missus than it did for me, although the mulled wine helped. Here's a piccie of it what I took:

Broken Link Removed

Personally I preferred the Roman Baths and the trip out to Stonehenge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back