Batery charger/converter

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by petesam, Mar 10, 2009.

1. petesam

petesam Read Only Funster

Hiya all, can anyone suggest a 240V leisure battery charger to replace the original 110Vunit as fitted as standard. Regards Petesam.

2. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Ask Lindy-C (a trade member on here) She will be able to help you :thumb:

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

I changed my 110v charger a couple of years ago ..

Sterling have a good reputation and come highly recommended.. I believe Olley (Fun member) has one fitted...

Sterling 12v 30 amp, 40 amp and 50 amp Digital Battery Chargers

I was going to purchase one then I saw one of these for sale second hand which I snapped up..

Victron Multi Plus is a 70A charger combined with a 1600watt inverter ..
    It is much more than just a charger... great bit of kit but at a premium ..

Phoenix MultiPlus 12 / 24 / 48 Volt / Phoenix MultiPlus Compact 12 / 24 Volt - Victron Energy

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  4. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

Many US rv's are fitted with converters which are just trickle chargers rather than decent battery chargers. ScotJimland is suggesting a unit that will keep your batteries properly charged under all conditions. His choice is quite expensive because of its versatility and something cheaper may suit your purposes quite well. Main thing is that it be 3 stage and be suitable for the type of batteries you have fitted.

5. Mayurua

Mayurua Deleted User

Hi Petesam
    I have just changed mine because the old one did not agree with our uk electricity supply i.e. 50htz . I purchased mine from bestconverters direct from the US Xantrex XADC Converter Charger
    Speak to Randy if you have any questions.
    Even with poor exchange rate shipping and customs it was way cheaper than anything here and believe me they will try and sell you all sorts of rubbish here but they just wont do the job. the one i purchased was 2 wires an earth and plug in to original 110v socket couldnt be easier. even if your RV is 100% converted to 240v with no 110v available there is another alternative
    i paid by cred card received just under 2 weeks

Dave:thumb:

6. olley

olley Funster

Hi as Jim said I bought a 50amp Sterling Pro-digital charger, expensive but a really top class piece of kit.

If you ever intend, or already have bought extra batteries I would get the biggest charger you can. An advantage of a 230v charger is your not wasting money powering the tranny when its sitting in storage wanting for your next trip.

I think that from memory the tranny use £2-3 of electricity per week just on idle.

Sterling Power Products: Battery Chargers

Olley

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Olley

I found this out when I was using the Victron inverter which feeds the same circuits as the EHU.. even with no 110v appliances switched on the tranny was draining the batteries..
    I solved that problem by fitting a tranny isolation switch.

Eventually I would like everything to be 230v, when the fridge dies I'll change it to a 230v model..
    That would leave only The Air Cons, but as they are seldom used it's not worth the expenditure.

So, no Olley, I won't be buying your fancy 50/60hz converter.. :Laughing::Laughing:

Jim

8. olley

olley Funster

Hi jim at £1850 neither will I :BigGrin: But I thought it was worth posting about, if your going to buy a high end RV for say over 150 grand then this is the sort of thing you might fit.

Along with your Victron and rotating solar panels its not for the majority of RVer's. :BigGrin:

olley