BaseCamp on MacBook

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dave and Ginny, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Having just splashed out on this Macbook Air, I determined not to do anything I might regret in terms of uploads, downloads etc...plus I'm still in the learning curve only having acquired it last Thursday.

I have BaseCamp, Garmin Express and POI loader installed on my old laptop and my Garmin Nuvi is registered etc. I want to now download again on the Mac. I'm assuming the easiest way is to download BaseCamp from the net along with Garmin Express and POI loader and then connect my Garmin and transfer the maps across into BaseCamp as I did for the old laptop.

Sounds easy, is it? Can anyone see any issues before I give it a go?

Cheers Dave

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

No problems.. I have Garmin software on my Macbook.. works the same as it did on the PC

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Cheers Jim...I'll go for it now!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Plus one for that. No issues

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Thanks for the assurances...all done now without a hitch :). Have to say I do like this Mac, seems almost too easy to use compared to Windows? Basecamp looks a bit different, couldn't see how to transfer maps across from Garmin...options seemed to be to purchase them, but no worries as plugging Garmin in brings them up anyways!

Cheers Again!

6. scotjimland

Been using Macs for about 16 years or more.. the more you use your Mac the more you will love it.. ..

For the last four years had a Windows desktop .. and a Macbook for travelling.. but was yearning for an iMac.. Last week I took the plunge.. bought a new 27" iMac.. wow.. I'm in love with it.. :h:

and gave my Windows desktop to my daughter ..

Macs just work.. you have to forget Windoze and all it's issues..

• Like Like x 2
  7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Did you get the 5K display Jim or the normal one?

I'm having a new one for work soon. The 5K display is out of this world.

8. scotjimland

• Like Like x 1
  9. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Yep, awesome is a good starting point. (y)

I wasn't convinced initially but then I went to an Apple store and a had proper look and play. We got the same image up on a conventional display, which is fantastic, and on a 5K next to it. :Eeek: The 5K is on a completely different level to anything else on the market.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Deepest condolences :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Maybe Lenny, but so far I have to say I'm very impressed and getting on with the operating system a darn sight better than the the Windows 10 that drove me to distraction on my old Laptop.

I can't get used to how quick this little machine is on the EE mifi I'm using on 4g!

12. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Been reading all this as I only use Apple, iPads, iPhone and iMac so I can sync everything easily. I had never heard of Basecamp so looked it up. Looks interesting. Is this a stand alone app. Or does it have to be used with a garmin. I have a tomtom sat Nav. I do use Garmin Express though for golf!! Don't think I can combine a Motorhome sat Nav with a golf garmin. Although probably go far more off course playing golf than I do navigating!!

13. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I’ve been using it for a year or so now and find it brilliant. You could use it stand alone app but can’t really see the point? The most use I made of it was in Spain last and this year. I was able to plan my own routes in as much detail as I wanted, include waypoints like ACSI sites, camperstops and Aires. The thing I like the most is that after creating a route to for example an ACSI site or Aire where you have used a lat/long co-ordinance, you can then change from map view to Google Earth and then check see if it is in fact the correct location. If it’s not, you can have a look around on Earth and correct the location just by dragging the finish point. Then simply upload onto device and now your Sat Nav will follow the route you have created instead of being in the luck of the Gods! You don’t even need an expensive Garmin, just one that accepts Apps.

14. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Thanks for your detailed reply. It sounds like something that needs a bit of work to get used to.. Def one to look at though..