Base vehicle service, non main dealer.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by golly, Feb 17, 2015.

1. golly

golly Funster

I have a Autosleeper Kemerton based on a Peugeot Boxer. It was new last year and I have only done 4000 miles. I asked the garage where we get our other vehicles serviced if they could do the servicing on the camper and not invalidate the warranty. They said yes, and would use Peugeot parts, servicing schedule is 2years but I always get oil change yearly no matter how few miles I do. Anyone know if the warranty will be valid if the independent garage does the servicing.

2. Phill D

Phill D

not sure about Peugeot but it would be ok with FIAT as long as recommended oil and FIAT filter was used, and you could prove it.

however, if your service interval is 2 years or X miles whichever is the sooner and you've reached neither then a simple oil change with a Peugeot filter should not be an issue.

you could get a Peugot dealer to do just an oil and filter change but why not email Peugeots customer services and ask. what you got to loose; i did just that and got an honest unbiased reply from FIAT

• Like Like x 2
  3. golly

golly Funster

Good idea, I have emailed them, will see what they say if they reply.
    cheers, John

4. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Yes. See http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/new-car-warranty-servicing/

• Like Like x 1
  5. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

The garage needs to be VAT registered and use OEM quality parts, this simply means parts that are certified as being to the same quality standard as Original Equipment, it does NOT mean they must be Fiat or Peugeot branded items. As long as these criteria are met you can use any garage you like.

D.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Service schedule for 2.3 and 3 litre is 28,000 miles. I wouldn't lose sleep over servicing just yet.
    25,000 for 2.2

• Like Like x 1
  7. busby

busby Funster

Dont care what they say 10000 miles is max i would run any diesel engine without an oil and filter change...just my opinion...BUSBY.

• Like Like x 4
  8. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

There are usually specific clauses attached to the warranty which make certain requirements, like an approved dealer carrying out the servicing in the correct timings. However, a Peugeot service centre, on a Peugeot van, can't see that being an issue.
    Personally, the second my vehicles run out of warranty they never see a main dealer again. I do all my own servicing, so the van gets a major service every year, for around £90 in parts - nice!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I'm with you on that Busby, I know oils and engines are much better than they were but there's still got to be some crap swishing about in the system.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Techno

Yes I know but OP has only done 4k so no need at all until 2yrs

• Like Like x 4
  11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Agree, synthetic oils don't deteriorate like the old oils used to don't worry about it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Dave Newell beat me to it.

Main dealer only warranty period servicing went out quite a few years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  13. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

The exception in warranty terms to needing main dealer servicing is that any recalls or updates will not necessarily be flagged up by an independent garage and extended warranty periods (3rd year for Fiat as an example) may need main dealer service stamps.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  14. busby

busby Funster

I dont care how good modern oil is the engines big enemy is dirt and swarf,,,if you change oil regular it has got to prolong engine life and reliability,,,,,,,,Just my humble opinion..BUSBY.:):)

• Like Like x 4
  15. Techno

Yes but you have to draw a line somewhere that is practical and anything under 10k is avin a laf. Modern engines don't suffer from Swarf :LOL:
    it's not the 1970's and these engines do intergalactic mileages as commercial vehicles.

• Like Like x 3
  16. busby

busby Funster

Your probably correct but to me it doesnt seem right. Used to run mk 4 and 5 transits in the late 90s,,thrashed to death,,different drivers but had mileages up into the high 200 ks with no engine failures.. Always changed oil every 5000 ks in those days....Old oil was better than creosote for painting fences and sheds...BUSBY.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Techno

Well there is a very big difference between 4k 10k and the 25k recommended by the manufacturer BUT it's your money.
    My experience is that things run better for longer if they stay out of garages

• Like Like x 1
  18. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

That's a good point, when my new MH went for its first service after 12 months the main dealer carried out recall work which I doubt an independent would have done, if only because it wouldn't have been worth it on what fiat would have paid them. For the saving going to an independent for an oil and filter change over a dealer I don't think it is worth it while the vehicle is under warranty. The law allows you to but if the engine say subsequently blew up I bet fiat would go through what the independent had done with a fine tooth comb to find a way out.

19. golly

golly Funster

Got a reply from Peugeot :-

Thank you for your recent email sent to us via the Peugeot website regarding your Auto-Sleeper camper van.

You can take your vehicle to a independent dealership as long as they are VAT registered and use Peugeot approved parts, however regarding the oil change that would be something to discuss with your local dealership.

Your reference is: ***********

Kind Regards

Maisie Bowen

So looks good for my local chap to do the servicing. Thanks for all the advice. John

• Like Like x 1
  20. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Your right there, semi and full synth is rubbish, won't mix with creosote :LOL: