Barnsley - places to visit?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by John and Cheryl, Aug 3, 2013.

1. John and Cheryl

John and Cheryl Read Only Funster

Hello all

I am researching interesting places to visit around Barnsley. We enjoy looking at quaint small villages, interesting architecture (churches, castles, ruins etc) and nice pubs.

Many thanks in advance

Cheryl

2. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Wentworth Woodhouse, amazing house - longest fronted house in UK, 356 rooms, very interesting history!

Catherine

3. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Cawthorn , cannon hall. Been with the kids when they were little quite a few times. Breton hall been ther a couple of times. Can't think of any more off the top of my head at the moment.:Smile:

4. Terry

Terry Funster

I think the nearest ruined castle is Conisbrough -Monk bretton priory- Hoyland mill ,theres lots of ruins to wonder around within a 10 mls radius :Wink:Another place worth a look at is Nostel priory,and while out near Wakefield try the Mineing musium / go down a pit :Wink:THERES A CAMPING SITE VERY CLOSE TO BIRDWELL/Hoyland,very close to Barnsley BUT NO IDEA WHAT ITS CALLED :Doh:gets good reviews
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  5. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Defanatly recommended mining musem been 3 since it opened getting better every time when little ones a bit bigger I will be of again as they have just done some updates

6. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

7. dshague

dshague Funster

don't forget meadowhell just down m1 from barnsley your wife will love it :Laughing:

Attached Files:

8. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Barnsley

Another for the mining museum

If you like walking, park up at Silkstone Common and follow the waggon way. Nearby Silkstone was home to the pit/flood disaster.

There are booze and band trains from Silkstone Common to Sheffield and Huddersfield - check the Penistone Line Partnership for details.

Further west, the A628/A616 known as the Flouch Roundabout will lead you over the Woodhead Pass and to the Dog and Partridge Pub (You can overnight here), whilst on the A616 are walks and resevoirs.

I think there is still a bus to Holmfirth if you want Last of the Summer Wine Country

Russell

9. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Entry is free but car parking is charged. Spoiled for choice and that's only one small corner of Yorkshire.

10. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

Yes, Yorkshire Sculpture Park is definitely worth a visit, and Leeds and Bradford are only just a short drive up the motorway.

Leeds has the armories, and Bradford is full of great things to do; lovely Haworth where the Brontes were from, Saltaire Village (well worth a visit), The Media Museum with the IMAX, the amazing Alhambra Theatre (best outside of the West End), and Ilkley is a great place to spend the afternoon - and then you can hop over to Harrogate :)

Gosh, there's so much to do :BigGrin:

11. Terry

Terry Funster

Thought someone already said Bretton, sculpture park :Smile: worth a 30 min drive to Chatsworth house down the M1
    Terry