Barmouth

Discussion in 'Wales' started by Lorro, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Lorro

Lorro Read Only Funster

You can park all night on the main carpark at Barmuth from 6pm to 8am and it is £3.50 during the day. There were several motorhomes there overnight on Saturday. There is a country music festival this weekend. There are several secluded laybyes along the estuary where motorhames are usually parked up. It is a beautiful part of the world not far from Dolgellau and Cadair Idris. Also the beautiful Mora Dyffryn beach and nature reserve isn't far away. It was feature on Springwatch a while ago. Also along the Cabrian coast you can get an all day rail rover ticket for just £6.00 and explore thiis stunningly beautiful part of Wales. Regards LC

• Like Like x 4
  2. parkay3560

parkay3560 Read Only Funster

Are you sure about this cos I am sure when I was there in June there were signs saying no overnight parking.

also, have you actually parked on there and have you been bothered by idiots in cars driving round you blaring their horns and stuff. I had a really horrible experience in June parked on the layby across from the turning for barmouth( the road from Porthmadog)

Bessy regs

Kenny

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Shell Island just up the road at £35 per wek and IMO one of the most beutifull campsites in the UK.
    You can sit and watch the dolfins swimming up and down and the sunsets are to die for.
    Fish from the beach and a nice bar resterant and small supermarket.
    I try to wild camp as much as possible but cant beat Shell in that area.

• Like Like x 6
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

5. parkay3560

parkay3560 Read Only Funster

yep..that would be the one....so that puts paid to stopping on there overnight. Incidentally, that van in the far right corner with the luton poking out looks suspiciously like mine LOL.....I tried to zoom in to see if it was us sat up front eating chips from the chippy near the railway station hahaha.

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

When I last checked with Gwynedd Council, a couple of years ago, they said:
    The "sleeping, camping and cooking" statement confirmed information obtained previously.

The car parks page on the Gwynedd Council web site Here now says "You can park for free in all Gwynedd owned car parks (listed above) between 6pm and 8am daily" but that still does not permit "sleeping, camping and cooking".

Graham

• Like Like x 1
  7. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I'm glad they got rid of that 1.5 ton limit - my brain might not be quite up to speed yet, but I think that would have excluded some MPVs, 4WD, etc. For example, my van's got a gross weight of just under 2000kg and the base vehicle is an MPV.

8. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

...so if you stay up all night partying, you can park there?

• Like Like x 2
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

1.5 ton limits are still fairly common. They arise from the weights quoted in legislation when the relevant Act (can't remember which off the top of my head) was originally passed and are still there because the council hasn't got round to updating its TRO. The intention is normally to prevent parking by commercial vehicles and some councils (though not all) allow (obviously private) motorhomes. The low limits tend not to be enforced these days precisely because so many vehicles now exceed 1.5 tons. I contacted all councils who mentioned the low limit some years ago and their responses are on the web site.

Graham

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

They'll probably have a special clause for you Janine :Laughing:

Graham

11. keith

keith Funster

Maybe out of season but there are some bad reviews of Shell Island camp site on HERE is this the same site?

12. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Think you will find that bad reviews are on bank holliday weekends as most North Wales sites are full then.
    I try to go when the kids are at school and would never even leave the house on a Bank holliday weekend never mind try to get to Wales.
    I agree with some reviews about roudy behavior but it only seems to hapen at bank holl weekends.
    Dont let one or two bad reviews put you off a visit,just pick your time to go.

13. beacons

beacons Funster

We stayed on shell on the august bh it was great I think you need to camp near the front among the families rather than further down the back of the site very big groups with lots of vehicles that seem to take over large areas and away from the facilties we dont use the showers etc always congested we met some nice people views the beach dunes campfire a lovely relaxing place to chill out .

14. Big Lad

Big Lad Funster

I've just read all these comments and are slightly worried as we've booked the bank holiday weekend this May.

I'm thinking your correct to pitch up well away from the numpties... I've also been mid week and seen a very peaceful place so if we don't enjoy the bank holiday there, the lesson will be learned and we'll go mid week from now on...

15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

OK what am I missing it says on their website they only accept tents?

16. Big Lad

Big Lad Funster

Yes, I was wrong, tents and cars etc...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  17. bungy

bungy Funster

Only restriction is on caravans....."Unfortunately we only have a camping license and therefore cannot accept Caravans"

18. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Seriously do not expect Shell Island to be the same on a Bank Holiday as other times different situation altogether the one thing that helps unless you are with friends their is a 20 Meter rule so it does give you some space around you van.

19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Graham has answered me in a PM less said about it on a public forum is best.

• Like Like x 1
  20. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I'd be very surprised if overnight MH camping is permitted in Barmouth car parks - I think GJH is on the money here.

Hendre Mynach campsite, which is in Barmouth down the end of the prom is £22.00 a night mid-season for a MH with 2 adults, and if you don't want EHU you can go in the field away from the set piece pitches.

http://www.hendremynach.co.uk/

Obviously it's not Shell Island in terms of dunes and dolphins and such like, but if you want to look around Barmouth, walk along the wide open beach just to north, hike in the hills above, and/or cycle the lovely Mawddach Trail it's ideal. Plus you don't have to go very far to the station for the Cambrian Coaster train service between Pwllheli and Aberdovey.