Bargain!! Small oil filled rad for van.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by savantuk, Dec 6, 2009.

1. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

Hi,

I've been considering which heater to put in the van, and leave switched on permanently.

I went to Currys this morning looking for an oil filled radiator, and came away with a Matsui MBR 700.

It's tiny, around 12" x 4", with 7 panels, and is rated at 700w. I'm going to stand it in a litter tray, so that if it leaks, the oil will be contained.

It's thermostatically controlled, so you could have it on just for frost protection.

Best of all, it's reduced from £39.99 to £19.99

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. stagman

stagman Deleted User

I'm going to stand it in a litter tray, so that if it leaks, the oil will be contained.

That's a great idea:thumb:

3. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Can't see it on there website, got a link please?:Doh:

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

oil radiator

no pics though.

5. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

[​IMG] Thank you.:Smile:

Derek & [​IMG]

6. savantuk

I thank you too:BigGrin:

7. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Dunhelm mills have these, I brought one last year and very good to take the chill off.

John.

Junior Oil Filled Radiator
    Product DetailsPrice £14.99

Customer rating
    5.0(1 review)
    Read 1 ReviewWrite a ReviewPlease select all of these options before adding to your basket or wishlist.

Colour
    Please Select White Quantity:
    Add to Basket Wishlist DetailsDeliveryDetailsThe Junior Oil Filled Radiator will keep you warm on those cold winter nights. The portable 7 fin heater runs silently and features a variable thermostat and overheat protection.The heater is complete with a cable tidy. The UK’s Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) regulations will allow members of the public to deposit old electrical and electronic items at recycling sites across the UK free of charge.
    For more information on WEEE and your nearest centre please see our buyer’s guides.

•Brand: Dunelm
    •Colours available: One colour available in Grey

8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Just a little math folks..
    You seem glad to make a 20 quid saving, but a 700w heater ( or anything ! ) left on 24 7 will devour approx £15.40 per week at 13.1p per kwh

9. Tony Hunt

Tony Hunt Read Only Funster

We use one of these only slightly larger in our RV as the main heating. It saves having the Gas furnace on all the time and constantly having to refill the LPG tank. We thermostat it at around 20c while we are sitting in the evenings and then turn it right down during the day while out and also at night once weve gone to bed. It works well, even in the coldest weather.

10. savantuk

I agree. However, if the heater is left on at a very low setting, sufficient to keep the interior above freezing, then it won't cost anything like £15.40 per week. If the heater is also put on a timer, then the cost is even less.

It will take a while to work out the best cost/heat ratio, but I'm pretty sure that I can halve the cost. Time will tell.

In the final analysis, I can live with the cost if the heater will keep the interior damp free.

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

In that case just slap a couple of 100w bulbs ( couple of table lamps will do, about 2.00 quidlets from a boot sale ) on a timer :BigGrin:

12. buttons

buttons Funster

Sorry to be a killjoy here but 700w on a very low setting and on a timer. That’s not going to warm the oil let alone keeping the van damp free and above freezing. Have you thought of using a 100w light bulb, it would probably give off as much heat.
    Left on full power 24/7 would help but using the very low power setting on a timer with ambiant temp below freezing:Rofl1::Rofl1:

13. RichardnGill

RichardnGill Read Only Funster

We use an 800watt oil filled rad which we got from B&Q I think it was about £24.

WE have this in the cab between the front seats and even on a low setting it does heat the cab up a lot. It also keeps the chill of the rest of the van.

It in only actual on and using electric for about 25% of the time, that is the best thing about an oil filled rad as it produces heat for a while after the thermostat has shut it down.

On most sites we run the oil filled rad on 800 watts along with the Truma heating on electric and we can still use the electric kettle.

Richard...

14. savantuk

I checked the van interior before I went to bed last night, and the readout was 17c, and about 10 minutes ago, the reading was the same. This was with the radiator on it's lowest setting.

The outside air temperature was 6c last night.

I don't need to be told I'm stupid, and frankly the use of ROFL icons is unnecessary - I can add and subtract, and I know the cost of electricity.

There are so many variables to consider, ie, the fact that the van is winterised, well insulated, and fully double glazed. The upholstery will absorb, and give off heat as well. If the heater turns into a lemon, and I have to find something else, then so be it.

The murmers of contentment by some on this thread, and the fact that these do appear to be effective is far better feedback than posting nonsense about 100w lightbulbs, and otherwise stating the obvious.:Smile:

15. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Oh dear-handbags at 20 paces!!

16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I just found a dummy underneath the computer monitor..
    Has someone spat one out perchance ?

Oh and the smiley I put up was smiling at my suggestion of a couple of bulbs.. I might do it myself but would never seriously recommend others do it as it might not be the safest thing to do

Andddd...............

Every single oil filled rad type I have ever come across does not reduce the current drawn.. They always run 700w ( or whatever ) but have a thermostat fitted to control the heat level, thereby controlling how much juice is used
    There are one or two exceptions around but they are usually clearly marked and have a big 'clunk switch' to switch between heating elements

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  17. gixermark

gixermark Read Only Funster

Fight .... Fight .... Fight !!!!!!!!!! :Eeek:

Playground ......... three thirty .... be there or be square !!! :Rofl1:

C'mon chaps ......... calm it down, it's only a bloody radiator for goodness sake!

CHILL ..... Literally ...............
    :thumb:

18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

That's all it was - "here is a cheap heater".

I think our little even cheaper B&Q greenhouse type heater is 200W and that just copes of on all the time.

19. kenspain

kenspain Read Only Funster

Now now remember Farther Christmas dont come to naughty boys:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

20. savantuk

The comment about 2 x 100w bulbs is facile.

2 bulbs at 100watts would never raise the temperature in the van, so maintaining even a low temperature would be impossible.

An oil heater at 700 watts would be capable of raising the temperature, and with use of the thermostat, maintaining it by switching on and off at intervals. As the rad is oil filled, it does not immediately go cold as would a fan or radiant heater.

OK, I've just spent a couple of hours in the van, and the heater has been switching on an off at intervals. On the lowest setting, the heater has been on for 22mins in total, out of 2 hrs, and maintaining the temperature at 16c. The heater stayed warm to the touch, between bursts. This seems to suggest that on a cold day, the heater is consuming around 230 watts per hour. On a freezing day, it may consume a little more, but not a lot, as the van is well insulated.

I'm not looking to use this heater as a primary source, as I have gas and electric heating when the van is being used. All I'm doing is trying to the interior above freezing, and attempting to keep any small amounts of damp at bay.