Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
Hi

We are just trying to work out if (as we live in Spain) it is worth us driving to Barcelona for the Motorhome and Caravan Show in October this year or is the NEC in the UK better? From what we have seen regarding the Barcelona show in 2014 (they are held every 2 years) it was mostly caravans and we do not want to drive nearly 7 hours to Barcelona and staying a couple of days there in an expensive hotel if it is not really worth it in comparison to the UK show. Many thanks for any help. Henry & Min

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As above.

NEC hardly worth travelling from some places in the UK never mind Spain.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
Fly to Dusseldorf for the show there at the end of August if there are flights from near you. Looks the business.
Looks like it is Dusseldorf then- we are looking at possibly importing a motorhome into Spain from Germany anyway for that looks like a good option. Many thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As you live in Spain not much point in going to the NEC, it will be mostly British built vans and the importers do not import all of their ranges to the UK. IMO there is only one show worth visiting and that is Caravan Salon at Dusseldorf.

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
As you live in Spain not much point in going to the NEC, it will be mostly British built vans and the importers do not import all of their ranges to the UK. IMO there is only one show worth visiting and that is Caravan Salon at Dusseldorf.

Many thanks for your help. Just looking at getting flights, hotel etc sorted for the Dusseldorf show. Regards Henry & Min

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You'll be hard pushed to beat Dusseldorf to see lots of European MHs but do your research on models that you like and don't just buy one there as you could get a good discount afterwards, one member on here uses a dealer in Germany I believe and gets a very good deal by doing so, others too.

Make sure you're well versed in the rules/regs for importing beforehand so you don't get any nasty (expensive!) surprises.

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
You'll be hard pushed to beat Dusseldorf to see lots of European MHs but do your research on models that you like and don't just buy one there as you could get a good discount afterwards, one member on here uses a dealer in Germany I believe and gets a very good deal by doing so, others too.

Make sure you're well versed in the rules/regs for importing beforehand so you don't get any nasty (expensive!) surprises.

Many thanks for the information. We will not be buying one at the show (don't want to waste a Ryanair flight ticket back to Spain!!!!) seriously we will be opening a couple of days at the show as like other shows (not MH) we have been to there will be all sorts of dealers and exporters who are able to assist especially as it will be near the end of the main summer season so hopefully some deals can be made later in September or October. Thanks again

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Spain has a luxury goods import tax of 10%, I helped one member import a van to the UK he registered at a friends address, then just a case of registering in Spain after 6 months or 6000km to avoid the tax, also UK VAT is lower.

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
Spain has a luxury goods import tax of 10%, I helped one member import a van to the UK he registered at a friends address, then just a case of registering in Spain after 6 months or 6000km to avoid the tax, also UK VAT is lower.

Many thanks for that - yes Spain's tax depends on the region. Thankfully we have lived here for 5 years and will still be once we buy our MH but as we are not in a major rush to buy anything yet so will be looking into all the pros and cons of our various options. I have found some very large German dealers (new and nearly new) who export to Spain and do all the paperwork so that is also an option. Thanks again for the advice - very much appreciated.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Leo at http://www.hispavan.com/ will do importation if you buy privately. Does an excellent job plus you wouldn't have to take it past the itv station at Lorca as that is where he gets all his done even though he is based on the Antas industrial estate , Vera.

tomlowry07

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
spain
Funster No
MH
lowry
Exp
Hi there,

I bought a new motorhome from Dusseldorf last year. Dealer was campirama Belgium. They undercut all the german dealers. If you import into Spain you will have to pay Luxury goods tax on a new vehicle. I imported mine to uk and i Live in spain. No issues yet with Police, as I have a uk licence :)
When MOT comes around I will then maybe import to Spain. No Luxury Duty on Second hand ( I think)

Tom

tomlowry07

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
spain
Funster No
MH
lowry
Exp
oop, just decided to read other posts. Yep It was Lenny that assisted me. easy peasy.

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
Hi there,

I bought a new motorhome from Dusseldorf last year. Dealer was campirama Belgium. They undercut all the german dealers. If you import into Spain you will have to pay Luxury goods tax on a new vehicle. I imported mine to uk and i Live in spain. No issues yet with Police, as I have a uk licence :)
When MOT comes around I will then maybe import to Spain. No Luxury Duty on Second hand ( I think)

Tom

OK thanks for the information - we have Spanish licences so not sure on that issue but something else to think about.

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
See you in Düsseldorf then! I'll be the Scot checking everything out with the bored looking wife (y)

We have just made a big mistake by booking RyanAir to what they call Dusseldorf airport - it is a €130 taxi drive to Dusseldorf as our flight gets in late and no public transport from Weeze airport (NOT Dusseldorf as they claim when booking) but then that is RyanAir!!!!:cry::cry:

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
hire a car.

Looked at that thanks but the car hire desks seem to close at 23:00 and our flight gets in at 22:55!! Also the price with the smallest car works out with all the insurances more than the 1 way taxi - going to be a expensive trip - but then I guess that must be joys of getting a motorhome!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have just made a big mistake by booking RyanAir to what they call Dusseldorf airport - it is a €130 taxi drive to Dusseldorf as our flight gets in late and no public transport from Weeze airport (NOT Dusseldorf as they claim when booking) but then that is RyanAir!!!!:cry::cry:
If you have it in writing that this is Dusseldorf then surely you can claim a refund from them?

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
If you have it in writing that this is Dusseldorf then surely you can claim a refund from them?

On Ryanair's website it uses the name Düsseldorf airport but we are talking about Ryanair here - just want to make sure other visitors don't get caught out.

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
When I booked I put in Düsseldorf and the only airport was Düsseldorf Weeze so I booked. It was not until I checked on transport to the hotel and show ground did I realise it was 70 km from Düsseldorf. The time of arrival is so late I got a price of €130 for a taxi. Ryanair are a law on themselves and when I contacted them to say their description is incorrect and I wanted to cancel so I can book a closer airport flight they have just ignored me. Initially I contacted the show booking facility provided by Düsseldorf council and tourist office and they suggested the same airport- 70km from the city - so if anybody is going to the show BE AWARE.

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
I know and agree but in my defence I contacted the show organisation/tourist board and they came up with Ryanair flights - so not guilty governor!! :(:(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Could you get a hotel in Weeze for the night and public transport in the morning, probably cheaper and more relaxing.

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
Could you get a hotel in Weeze for the night and public transport in the morning, probably cheaper and more relaxing.

It is all sorted now thanks - the hotel we have booked is a few minutes from the show so we will have a nice walk in the morning and a "stagger" back in the evening being knackered after a day walking around.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back