Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Thinking of going to Barcelona, and maybe taking a tour of the city sights. Any recommendations for somewhere safe to park up either aire or campsite, but near enough to centre for me to reach on my mobility scooter?

PS Happy New Year everyone :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Thinking of going to Barcelona, and maybe taking a tour of the city sights. Any recommendations for somewhere safe to park up either aire or campsite, but near enough to centre for me to reach on my mobility scooter?

PS Happy New Year everyone :)
I am off up there in a day or two, where did you stay ????

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Sorry - never made it - got stuck back in France. Hopefully another time :(

Hope your trip goes well :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Going there from Almeria later this week or next there is site outside the city with a bus stop outside, in the ACSI book, have been recommended not to stay in the city with the MH, very high crime rate!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There is an aire in the city but the aires books says something like "it's a rough area, they charge as much as a campsite ( €30 ) but not much on offer so better staying outside and getting the train in".

So that put us off. It's somewhere near the docks/Olympic area.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Camping Barcelona at Mataro. They have a free bus from the campsite 4 times a day to take you in and out. Its about 30 mins ride.
We used it, nice pool etc. Use the hop on hop off bus for 2 days. Great city .
Phil

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We stayed at Camping Barcelona , Mataro, about 3 weeks ago for a couple of nights. As Gillnphil says they have a small minibus which shuttles between the site and the town of Mataro at no cost but they also have a large coach which leaves the site at 0915 to get into La plaza de Catalunya, Barcelona at 1000 then collects you there at 1800, again free of charge. We had to book seats the night before at Reception.
The site is no 2630 in this year's ACSI book

This was the view from our pitch..
IMG_20160304_164707.jpg

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
There is an aire in the city but the aires books says something like "it's a rough area, they charge as much as a campsite ( €30 ) but not much on offer so better staying outside and getting the train in".

So that put us off. It's somewhere near the docks/Olympic area.
Thanks everybody for the info, City stop in campercontact no 25080 gets the best reviews for a city based aire. (Looks a bit like camping in a prison yard, which is a good thing in Barcelona) But still considering what to do, it may come down to what I can get into over Easter weekend! I am at the aire in the sticky out coastal park bit 100km south of Barcelona, so shall go for a tootle round the lagoon here tomorrow and head up Friday. This place is rammed already so looks like it will be busy over the weekend.:(

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Going there from Almeria later this week or next there is site outside the city with a bus stop outside, in the ACSI book, have been recommended not to stay in the city with the MH, very high crime rate!
Indeed, open season on tourists

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Camping Barcelona at Mataro.
Phil

Damn. Will filled up with LPG there but carried on to Blanes. Got it wrong again. Though Blanes is a very nice town, the station was so far from the campsite we didn't try for Barcelona.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We're currently at Tossa de Mar ... stopping here for three days whilst we decide where to go next. We had intended to avoid Barcelona for the reasons above.

hayley claire

Free Member
Mar 25, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
high top motorhome
Exp
Hello fellow travellers..I have been in Barcelona for over a week now staying with my daughter who lives In the City..After 8pm I park on la rambla high street then move it every few days to Pallega park at the metro and it's 30 mins back central while I stay here but want to try Portugal...any ideas to meet new friends or new routes would be fab xx

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Wer stayed at the Aire in Platja de aro and took a coach into Barcelona from there. A bit expensive but a nice trip on a coach as well. I was advised not to drive anywhere near Barcelona. Oh and we didn't get mugged, thankfully. We did hear it was a crime ridden city. As most big cities are these days.
We used a city sightseeing bus to see it all.
Couldn't get in the ,
Sagrada Família
the queue was too long. I've now found out you can buy your tickets online, skip the queue.

Last edited:

hayley claire

Free Member
Mar 25, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
high top motorhome
Exp
I agree first hand about the crime I turned up after driving 1500 miles at the busy la rambla where she lives and got my bumbag stolen so had to cancel all cards and my much needed cash went too!! But I've been fine since then and am really feeling the vibe here in Barcelona and it's very fast and exciting but feeling the need to move on in the van to more remote areas very soon. A coach makes so much sense to enter the city although I have had no problems with driving through lots of small narrow streets in my motor home easily...I kinda like this city

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I'm getting the ferry from Barcelona to Sardinia in a few days, it doesn't leave until 10.15pm so I will be looking to park up for a few hours beforehand. Looking at the ferry website it appears to only have drop-off parking facilities, has anyone used this ferry before or have any tips on where to lay up in the meantime? The world trading centre is suggested on the website, I wouldn't mind being able to leave the van secure for a few hours to have a look around the city and try to hold on to my wallet (y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I agree first hand about the crime I turned up after driving 1500 miles at the busy la rambla where she lives and got my bumbag stolen so had to cancel all cards and my much needed cash went too!! But I've been fine since then and am really feeling the vibe here in Barcelona and it's very fast and exciting but feeling the need to move on in the van to more remote areas very soon. A coach makes so much sense to enter the city although I have had no problems with driving through lots of small narrow streets in my motor home easily...I kinda like this city
Thats really unfortunate. I would recommend anyone coming here does not keep any kind of valuables in an external bag of any kind. But wears a security pouch well hidden under your clothing with some euros in an external bag.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I'm getting the ferry from Barcelona to Sardinia in a few days, it doesn't leave until 10.15pm so I will be looking to park up for a few hours beforehand. Looking at the ferry website it appears to only have drop-off parking facilities, has anyone used this ferry before or have any tips on where to lay up in the meantime? The world trading centre is suggested on the website, I wouldn't mind being able to leave the van secure for a few hours to have a look around the city and try to hold on to my wallet (y)
How long are you there for? We cross from Plymouth to Santander on the 10th, meander down to Barcelona and staying at Camping Barcelona for a week then booked to Porto Torres on the 25th April. We will stay for about 6 weeks going anti clockwise around the island so maybe our paths will X?
Michael

Reactions: SMB
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Thanks everybody for the info, City stop in campercontact no 25080 gets the best reviews for a city based aire. (Looks a bit like camping in a prison yard, which is a good thing in Barcelona) But still considering what to do, it may come down to what I can get into over Easter weekend! I am at the aire in the sticky out coastal park bit 100km south of Barcelona, so shall go for a tootle round the lagoon here tomorrow and head up Friday. This place is rammed already so looks like it will be busy over the weekend.:(
I stayed one night at camperstop which was great for the metro straight into the city centre. Its very secure with guys on scooters regularly patroling the area and lots of monitored CCTV.There are a lot of unregistered new cars stored here Also, so feels secure. The potable water & cassette wash taps are part of the same pipe :( Campervans were crammed close in but it was OK and I got electricity. WIFI only in the services hut. The only downside was it was the Spanish hols and quite a few motorhome hire Spanish latchkey unsupervised screaming kids were playing football in the carpark.
Must be OK for the Spanish to put their kids as risk in moving traffic as they seem to breed like rabbits :sneaky:

Decamped to Camping Barcelona, more relaxed vibe here amoungst British Germans and Dutch. Great WIFI, Just a faff to get back into the city but free bus and €19 ACSI rate at last. So will chill here for a bit.(y)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I have several versions of this http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=231517647602&alt=web you can pick them up in the Chinese shops though. I wear it under my left arm next to my skin. It is well concealed and just as well as people from certain sections of society eye you up and down for valuables. They are very quick and good at it too, unless you constantly watch everybody you won't know. I strongly suggest using this system.

Last edited:

hayley claire

Free Member
Mar 25, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
high top motorhome
Exp
Mine was similar but the universe must of just thought "let's make more obstacles than necessary" and thanks for the link

hayley claire

Free Member
Mar 25, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
high top motorhome
Exp
How long are you there for? We cross from Plymouth to Santander on the 10th, meander down to Barcelona and staying at Camping Barcelona for a week then booked to Porto Torres on the 25th April. We will stay for about 6 weeks going anti clockwise around the island so maybe our paths will X?
Michael
It Would Be Fabulous To Meet Up At One Point On Our Journey Thanks And Safe Travelling My friends

hayley claire

Free Member
Mar 25, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
high top motorhome
Exp
Hey Its quite easy to park close by the city I've managed it fine and the police should you take the wrong turn are really helpful just ask them and they always help and even at times give you postcode for parking too!!

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Michael
Hi Michael, I will be there until 21st May then I'm getting the ferry to mainland Italy for another hop to Croatia, I'm sure we can arrange to meet up somewhere. My friend is flying out on 7th May to Olbia for 10 days so I will probably travel anti-clockwise myself though that could change! Drop me a line when you get there in case I forget and I'll let you know where I am!

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Hey Its quite easy to park close by the city I've managed it fine and the police should you take the wrong turn are really helpful just ask them and they always help and even at times give you postcode for parking too!!
Thanks for that, a postcode would be much better than a ticket (y)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Well I might do that then, I've got some shopping to do (well, stuff I don't really need but then again thats half the gadgets in my van). Thanks again for the advice :)

hayley claire

Free Member
Mar 25, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
high top motorhome
Exp
Shopping is fab although I haven't ruined my budget quite yet lol. What day are you here?

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Define fab ha ha. Arriving Friday, getting the ferry that night.

NeilEmma

Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Arapaho
Exp
September 2016
Camping Barcelona at Mataro. They have a free bus from the campsite 4 times a day to take you in and out. Its about 30 mins ride.
We used it, nice pool etc. Use the hop on hop off bus for 2 days. Great city .
Phil

We are at camping barcelona now. We were at three estrellas which was convenient for the beach but this is a better campsite with more amps, more space and the free bus service is an excellent bonus. Restaurant is great too.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We are at camping barcelona now. We were at three estrellas which was convenient for the beach but this is a better campsite with more amps, more space and the free bus service is an excellent bonus. Restaurant is great too.

Dont forget to go into Las Ramblas market. Fab food fest. The green hop off bus route along the beach is worth it too.
Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back