Barcelona Bandits

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by goldenline, Feb 23, 2014.

1. goldenline

goldenline Funster

TRavelling back from benidorm we were passing through barcelona this morning when ther was a loud thud on the side of the van and a BMW pulled a longs idle with a young woman hanging out of the rear window frantically waving us to pull over. Fortunately we had read previous posts on funsters and so carried on going with janice pretending to take a photo with the phone. They immediately sped away. Maybe Sunday is not a good day to travel in Barcelona as the traffic was very light compared to during the week. So be careful.
    Alan

• Like Like x 7
  2. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi Alan,

Glad to hear that you didn't stop . :thumb: Have they done any damage to the bodywork of the MH?

Regards,

Jock.

3. Phill D

Phill D

good tactics to take a photo and make it obvious, well done keeping a cool head, have a safe trip :thumb:

4. goldenline

goldenline Funster

Thankfully no damage
    Alan

• Like Like x 2
  5. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

its a funny old world isnt it . when this subject has been brought up in the past there are always some that say it is "scaremongering" and that in" 10 years they have never been robbed" etc etc. yet you are proof that these incidents do happen, and you are also a perfect example of "being forewarned is forearmed " WELL DONE TO YOU !! regards garry

• Like Like x 9
  6. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Was that on a motorway or other small road as we are intending to go home that way to calais?
    Not going to stop there now as we planned though as we have heard the stories as well and plan to visit it by bus instead.
    We are near Cartagena now.

7. simbadog

simbadog Funster

Hang on to your wallets etc. :Wink:
    I had a "gentleman" try to lift my wallet in a bus queue in Barcelona :Angry: I left him
    nursing sore fingers :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  8. brynric

brynric Funster

We came past Barcelona on Friday with no problem other than it was a big busy city. That was on the toll road, the AP. 7(?). However I did meet another Brit motorhomer who said he had travelled on the toll free road to the south and he had difficulties not with crime but following the route.
    I've seen a video on YouTube of the "pull-over bandits" it's certainly not scaremongering. Glad to hear you're ok.

9. goldenline

goldenline Funster

It was on the ring road around Barcelona still part of the ap7. We have stayed at Villanova park and also Blane's and used bus and train to visit Barcelona no problem at all , public transport is fine. Do visit Barcelona as it is a fantastic city
    Janice & Alan

10. Viennese

Viennese Funster

People always say that Barcelona is a terrible place for theft, pickpocketing etc. If you are seen to be being sensible, not brandishing a smartphone or untethered camera and make sure nothing valuable is in your pockets, take care of handbags etc, it's not that bad. Recently had 6 days there staying in the city and had no problems at all. I suppose we just didn't look worth robbing!! :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

11. JJ

JJ Funster

I don't know about getting robbed IN Barcelona but I know about getting beaten up BY Barcelona... but that was in Manchester... :cry: :cry:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 4
  12. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

I had a small wallet taken from inside zipped pocket of my jacket on the underground there were 6 of us and a couple pushed through to look at underground map on the wall
    They took a few Euros but left the credit card and a kind lady who saw them drop the wallet and gave me it back
    Saw them next day at underground station and gave chase but was stopped by policeman who said "believe me its not worth the risk" and he was not interested

13. webby1

webby1 Funster

Robbers

As opposed to reports from someone who knows someone who has heard about gas attacks.................REAL first hand reports about incidents are really helpful both to remind us to be careful and what to watch out for.........................I reckon the idea of taking photos of the "perps"and pretending to upload them are a really good idea.

I remember reading someone had a message translated into various languages (not just Romanian and Bulgarian) stating "I will not stop now but will drive to the nearest police station to be questioned" and taking photos at the same time.

People just be careful out there............anyone remember Hill Street Blues

• Like Like x 3
  14. sciac2001

sciac2001 Funster

Thanks for the reminder of the tricks that can be played.
    I would definately take the picture and not just pretend to. Anything relating to the vehicle and the occupants will be helpful to the police, at least in recording the details and cross-checking with other motorhomers/caravanners who hopefully will also have taken photos.
    Went to Barcelona last week and must say I did not feel threatened in any shape or form. Common-sense precautions must obviously be observed, whether in Barcelona or anywhere else.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Yup, very well! It was Sgt 'Phil' (the sex mad one!) who always called Capt Furrilo Francis, and used to say "Let's be careful out there!".:BigGrin:

He was subsequently replaced by the old 'grumpty git' who used to say "Let's do it to them before they do it to us!!!!!".:Eeek:

Do you remember the mad SWAT leader Howard - he used to crease me up! Also what about Belker who used to jump on criminal's backs, bite them and call them 'dog breath'! :Blush:

Oh how I miss it!!!! It was way before its time! :thumb:

• Like Like x 6
  16. Mastercamper

Mastercamper Read Only Funster

Do you know, I went out in the glorious weather here in Northumberland today and I can honestly say that I did not feel threatened at all. :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  17. wanderer

wanderer Funster

What annoys me on these attempted/actual robberies in the Barcelona area is the Police inactivity to stop the crimes . How difficult can it be to set up a sting to apprehend the perpitrators after all there cant be that many cruising around the Barcelona roads .
    I for one never stop anywhere near Barcelona and allways fill up miles before this also applies to many other motorhomers i have spoken to in the campsites to the south. I have met people that have been robbed in this way which was so traumatic that they have sold up .
    Barcelona may be a great place to visit but until they make an effort to rid this scurge from their society i will continue on my way south

• Like Like x 1
  18. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

well done both of you and what a shame the photo wasnt real

I hope they catch the miserable scamming gits that cant leave honest people alone to enjoy their lives

• Like Like x 1
  19. billkce

billkce Funster

It is not my intention to demean the experience of being 'attacked' by 'bandits' in any country or situation. If this has happened to you then it is regrettable & probably quite alarming.

However, there are hundreds of thousands of Motorhome & Caravan journeys taken every year throughout Europe & we only ever hear of the odd attack once in a blue moon. Its a miniscule minority when you look at the stats.

I have met hundreds if not thousands of Motorhomers on our travels thru Europe & the UK over the past 5 years and have yet to meet a single victim of this crime. If this discussion ever comes up it is always hearsay or apocryphal.

So, my point is, IMO, that this type of story is scaremongering to a degree. We should get the threat into proportion. These stories do put people off travelling & make them unnecessarily nervous. Stories about pickpockets are irrelevant to the MH scenario as pickpockets operate everywhere.

Therefore, of course be vigilant & be aware of the threat, but keep it in proportion & don't let it spoil the journey.:thumb:

Cheers

Bilkce

• Like Like x 1
  20. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Bandits

True, it's not often we see a first hand account such as that from the OP and that's a good thing, we should keep matters in proportion and not let the fear of an attack spoil our journey. However, a first hand account from a victim/potential victim is a good reminder to be vigilant. If a city or it's outskirts are known to be frequented by pickpockets, (which are relevant to the motor homing tourist fraternity), and other thieves I really can't see anything disproportionate about a factual, as opposed to hearsay, warning post. I certainly can't see this post as being what has been described as scaremongering to a degree.

Keeping the threat in proportion is of course sensible but talking of proportion, we have been motor homing in the UK and Europe for over ten years and I can count the number of people we have met to discuss crimes like this with in tens, not hundreds and certainly not thousands, But we do have first hand experience in that a motorhome next to ours was broken into during the night and an attempt was make to get into ours at an aire in Oostende last year and we were targeted, without success, by a distraction type thief in the south of France earlier the same year.

Again, as has been said the original post was I think a perfect example of forewarned being forearmed, had the OP not been aware of these tactics he probably would have stopped to become a victim of theft/robbery.

So I thank him for the post.:Smile:

• Like Like x 6