Barcelona bandits !

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by bobandjanie, Feb 1, 2014.

1. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

I know its nothing new. :Angry:

Just a reminder be on your guard while going passed Barcelona, friends have 3 dents in the side of their motorhome after a white car with 3 men inside tried to make them stop, this was on the auto route it was busy and in day light.
    They would not stop, and the car raced off, she was so annoyed not to have got the number.:Sad:

We came past in the dark, something we try not to do, but as we came down towing the caravan, we just wanted to get here.:RollEyes:
    But.....................we always have a camera and phone at the ready, so just a word of warning. :thumb: Bob.

• Like Like x 14
  2. Twizzlefrillypants

Twizzlefrillypants Funster

What is the best course of action in these circumstances?. What number should you call?.does anyone have any history of the police taking action when given car reg numbers after the event. We are heading Barcelona in a few weeks and wonder action plan we should adopt.
    Cheers

3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Would it be wise to have a camera at the ready with flash on and flash it at them when alongside ?

• Like Like x 3
  4. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Would one of those in car cameras be any good in a case such as this, would you be able to hold it by hand maybe, and catch the action, through your side mirror?

• Like Like x 1
  5. bobandjanie

How about this:

English Speaking Telephone Line For Making A Police Report In Barcelona

Q: Whilst visiting Barcelona I was unfortunatly mugged. I reported it to the police and my insurer, who have mislaid the information. I have tried to contact the police to get a copy of the police report but cannot find an email adress, can you help?

A: The official Spanish police website is given below. However the entire website is in Spanish. If you wish to speak with someone in English you can try calling the English speaking telephone line and see if they can help find your Denuncia (police report) reference number and details.

English Speaking Police Telephone Number For Making A Crime Report (Denuncia) Whilst in Spain.

Outside Spain Dial Tel: +34 90 210 2112
    [HI] Inside Spain Dial: 90 210 2112[/HI]

Note that the above telephone line cannot be used to make a new Denuncia (crime report) once you have left Spain. It can only be used to make a new denuncia when you are actually in Spain.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    They would probably say phone back when the criminals have robbed you. :Doh:
    And use the 112 number and in your best spanish.:RollEyes::Laughing:

Anywhere in Europe you use 112. :thumb: Bob.

6. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

there is nothing you can do to prevent these guys targeting you , the GB emblem advertises the fact that you will be carrying passports, cash etc . its what you do if it happens that prevents you becoming another victim . make sure your passenger is aware that no matter what happens, you will not be stopping for anyone flagging you down or driving alongside pointing at rear wheels etc . for their part they are to take photos of any one attempting to do so. an average car cannot force a 3/5 ton motorhome off the road so if you stick to your guns they will have to concede ! if you stop you lose !!

• Like Like x 7
  7. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

[/HI]

I knew I needed a + 3.5 tonne :thumb: Just let them try :boxing:

• Like Like x 1
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

While driving in Spain a car pulled alongside us and the driver pointed at the side of the RV and gestured that I should pull over..

Now having heard all about the 'bandits' I thought no way.. and kept driving.. the car eventually sped off :BigGrin:

Later that day we stopped for a break and as usual I had a look round the RV, to check the tyres etc.. then I noticed a belly locker door not quite closed.. and yes you guessed, it had been flapping while we drove and two legs from a Cadac bbq were missing.. :Sad::Sad: :Doh:

so not all cars have bandits inside.. :Laughing:

but better to lose something than take a chance..

• Like Like x 6
  9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I had a similar experience to Jim. Several Spanish men running towards my van as we were leaving a Spanish aire. Sod this I thought I am out of here.

They were trying to point out what was quite a bad diesel leak:Doh:

• Like Like x 3
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I wonder if the Spanish have heard similar stories about the the UK ....

or maybe they just think we Brits are all paranoid, mad or both ? :Laughing:

and they aren't far wrong

• Like Like x 5
  11. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I have a Roadhawk HD which is handy for potential evidence but your mirrors can help as far as flapping lockers etc

12. busby

busby Funster

I am never ever getting out of my bed again . Its all gas attacks and robberies....BUSBY:Smile:

• Like Like x 5
  13. bobandjanie

We have had them offer help and the Spanish are lovely people, not pointing any fingers but most of the time here or anywhere else its not the locals that commit the crime. :Eek!:

• Like Like x 6
  14. Edenside

Edenside Funster

We tried to flag down a car and caravan on the M6 he joined from a slip road with his hiki roof on his caravan fully up, we pulled off on the next junction until he had passed then passed him pipping our horn with a sign in passenger window saying hiki up. He completely ignored us not even looking over so I expect he would arrive home with a big hole in his caravan roof. We were followed by a car in France flashing his lights and eventually decided we should pull over with caution it turned out we had a bleb on our rear tyre and could have had a blow out at anytime. So depending on your whereabouts sometimes it pays to stop.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I have it covered in Spain......Spanish Registered. :Smile:

But have to watch it in France :BigGrin:

16. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

We were flashed and waved at by a car load of young men as we were leaving Luxembourg. It tried to ignore them but they were insistent. We were on a busy main road so I pulled over onto the hard shoulder. As soon it was clear that I was stopping, they waved and drove on. I had a quick look around and saw that my rear offside tyre was almost flat. We had an inch long cut in it - no idea what caused it but were grateful to the guys for letting us know.

Not everyone is bad but we have been warned about thieves around Barcelona and have been told to ensure that our valuables are not on display and to lock the doors whenever we stop - even if we are not leaving the vehicle.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

When we are on the road I never leave the motorhome either here or abroad.

My wife and daughter might go into the services but I stand guard having a smoke.

I can't imagine the Spanish are as bad as some of the scum over here.

18. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

i think the concensus of opinion is that the majority of modern day HIGHWAY ROBBERY is being carried out by eastern europeans [probably on the way to here ] !!!

• Like Like x 2
  19. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Many years ago - probably around 25 - we were on holiday not far from Barcelona and using a hire car. We stopped at a motorway service station outside the city and the whole family trooped in to use the toilets. Returned five minutes later and the car had been broken into and various items stolen. :cry:

Five days later, after the car had been fixed, we were at the beach. Returned to the carpark after an afternoon swimming and sunbathing to find the car had been broken into a second time! :Doh:

On the second occasion most of my clothes were stolen, but I refused - on principle - to buy any new ones... and flew home in my pyjamas. :Rofl1: :thumb:

My wife said she never wanted to visit Spain again. Thankfully we got over that and have returned many many times since then - without further incident. But we haven't returned to Barcelona.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  20. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Barcelona has always had a reputation for thieves and pickpockets. A week today I'm off for my 4th visit - I've never personally experienced problems although work colleagues have, but I am always very careful. It's a shame that it is so dangerous for tourists as it is such a magic place - my favourite city ever! :thumb:

Catherine

• Like Like x 3