LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I know its nothing new. :Angry:

Just a reminder be on your guard while going passed Barcelona, friends have 3 dents in the side of their motorhome after a white car with 3 men inside tried to make them stop, this was on the auto route it was busy and in day light.
They would not stop, and the car raced off, she was so annoyed not to have got the number.:Sad:

We came past in the dark, something we try not to do, but as we came down towing the caravan, we just wanted to get here.:RollEyes:
But.....................we always have a camera and phone at the ready, so just a word of warning. :thumb: Bob.

Jan 16, 2013
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2009
What is the best course of action in these circumstances?. What number should you call?.does anyone have any history of the police taking action when given car reg numbers after the event. We are heading Barcelona in a few weeks and wonder action plan we should adopt.
Cheers

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Would it be wise to have a camera at the ready with flash on and flash it at them when alongside ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Would one of those in car cameras be any good in a case such as this, would you be able to hold it by hand maybe, and catch the action, through your side mirror?

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
How about this:

English Speaking Telephone Line For Making A Police Report In Barcelona

Q: Whilst visiting Barcelona I was unfortunatly mugged. I reported it to the police and my insurer, who have mislaid the information. I have tried to contact the police to get a copy of the police report but cannot find an email adress, can you help?

A: The official Spanish police website is given below. However the entire website is in Spanish. If you wish to speak with someone in English you can try calling the English speaking telephone line and see if they can help find your Denuncia (police report) reference number and details.

English Speaking Police Telephone Number For Making A Crime Report (Denuncia) Whilst in Spain.

Outside Spain Dial Tel: +34 90 210 2112
[HI] Inside Spain Dial: 90 210 2112[/HI]

Note that the above telephone line cannot be used to make a new Denuncia (crime report) once you have left Spain. It can only be used to make a new denuncia when you are actually in Spain.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They would probably say phone back when the criminals have robbed you. :Doh:
And use the 112 number and in your best spanish.:RollEyes::roflmto:

Anywhere in Europe you use 112. :thumb: Bob.

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
there is nothing you can do to prevent these guys targeting you , the GB emblem advertises the fact that you will be carrying passports, cash etc . its what you do if it happens that prevents you becoming another victim . make sure your passenger is aware that no matter what happens, you will not be stopping for anyone flagging you down or driving alongside pointing at rear wheels etc . for their part they are to take photos of any one attempting to do so. an average car cannot force a 3/5 ton motorhome off the road so if you stick to your guns they will have to concede ! if you stop you lose !!

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
there is nothing you can do to prevent these guys targeting you , the GB emblem advertises the fact that you will be carrying passports, cash etc . its what you do if it happens that prevents you becoming another victim . make sure your passenger is aware that no matter what happens, you will not be stopping for anyone flagging you down or driving alongside pointing at rear wheels etc . for their part they are to take photos of any one attempting to do so.[HI] an average car cannot force a 3/5 ton motorhome off the road so if you stick to your guns they will have to concede ! if you stop you lose !!
[/HI]

I knew I needed a + 3.5 tonne :thumb: Just let them try :boxing:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
While driving in Spain a car pulled alongside us and the driver pointed at the side of the RV and gestured that I should pull over..

Now having heard all about the 'bandits' I thought no way.. and kept driving.. the car eventually sped off ::bigsmile:

Later that day we stopped for a break and as usual I had a look round the RV, to check the tyres etc.. then I noticed a belly locker door not quite closed.. and yes you guessed, it had been flapping while we drove and two legs from a Cadac bbq were missing.. :Sad::Sad: :Doh:

so not all cars have bandits inside.. :roflmto:

but better to lose something than take a chance..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I had a similar experience to Jim. Several Spanish men running towards my van as we were leaving a Spanish aire. Sod this I thought I am out of here.

They were trying to point out what was quite a bad diesel leak:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I had a similar experience to Jim.

I wonder if the Spanish have heard similar stories about the the UK ....

or maybe they just think we Brits are all paranoid, mad or both ? :roflmto:

and they aren't far wrong

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Roadhawk HD which is handy for potential evidence but your mirrors can help as far as flapping lockers etc

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I am never ever getting out of my bed again . Its all gas attacks and robberies....BUSBY:Smile:

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I had a similar experience to Jim. Several Spanish men running towards my van as we were leaving a Spanish aire. Sod this I thought I am out of here.

They were trying to point out what was quite a bad diesel leak:Doh:

We have had them offer help and the Spanish are lovely people, not pointing any fingers but most of the time here or anywhere else its not the locals that commit the crime. :whatthe:

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
We tried to flag down a car and caravan on the M6 he joined from a slip road with his hiki roof on his caravan fully up, we pulled off on the next junction until he had passed then passed him pipping our horn with a sign in passenger window saying hiki up. He completely ignored us not even looking over so I expect he would arrive home with a big hole in his caravan roof. We were followed by a car in France flashing his lights and eventually decided we should pull over with caution it turned out we had a bleb on our rear tyre and could have had a blow out at anytime. So depending on your whereabouts sometimes it pays to stop.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We were flashed and waved at by a car load of young men as we were leaving Luxembourg. It tried to ignore them but they were insistent. We were on a busy main road so I pulled over onto the hard shoulder. As soon it was clear that I was stopping, they waved and drove on. I had a quick look around and saw that my rear offside tyre was almost flat. We had an inch long cut in it - no idea what caused it but were grateful to the guys for letting us know.

Not everyone is bad but we have been warned about thieves around Barcelona and have been told to ensure that our valuables are not on display and to lock the doors whenever we stop - even if we are not leaving the vehicle.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When we are on the road I never leave the motorhome either here or abroad.

My wife and daughter might go into the services but I stand guard having a smoke.

I can't imagine the Spanish are as bad as some of the scum over here.

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i think the concensus of opinion is that the majority of modern day HIGHWAY ROBBERY is being carried out by eastern europeans [probably on the way to here ] !!!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Many years ago - probably around 25 - we were on holiday not far from Barcelona and using a hire car. We stopped at a motorway service station outside the city and the whole family trooped in to use the toilets. Returned five minutes later and the car had been broken into and various items stolen. :cry:

Five days later, after the car had been fixed, we were at the beach. Returned to the carpark after an afternoon swimming and sunbathing to find the car had been broken into a second time! :Doh:

On the second occasion most of my clothes were stolen, but I refused - on principle - to buy any new ones... and flew home in my pyjamas. :ROFLMAO: :thumb:

My wife said she never wanted to visit Spain again. Thankfully we got over that and have returned many many times since then - without further incident. But we haven't returned to Barcelona.

Mike

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Barcelona has always had a reputation for thieves and pickpockets. A week today I'm off for my 4th visit - I've never personally experienced problems although work colleagues have, but I am always very careful. It's a shame that it is so dangerous for tourists as it is such a magic place - my favourite city ever! :thumb:

Catherine

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Barcelona has always had a reputation for thieves and pickpockets. A week today I'm off for my 4th visit - I've never personally experienced problems although work colleagues have, but I am always very careful. It's a shame that it is so dangerous for tourists as it is such a magic place - my favourite city ever! :thumb:

Catherine

One of mine too. The Rambla must be one of the best in Spain. I also like the walk along the palms by the harbour at night with all the little kiosks with there lights on. Good Lord...Am beginning to sound like a romantic :Doh:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When we are on the road I never leave the motorhome either here or abroad.

My wife and daughter might go into the [HI]services but I stand guard having a smoke.[/HI]

I can't imagine the Spanish are as bad as some of the scum over here.

[HI]Boom boom [/HI]:ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
[HI]Boom boom [/HI]:ROFLMAO:

It nearly was boom boom about 3 years ago when I was looking at this strange liquid coming out of my van while having a smoke. I decided it was to do with the air con.

It was actually a diesel leak:Doh:

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
I too have recently had the experience of being mugged in Barcelona's Picasso district. Scary to say the least. I had heard about the pickpockets and had taken precautions but they went for a gold necklace. Barcelona is the loveliest city I have visited in Spain but the levels of theft and personal attack mean I will not go again, at least not on my own. This experience has ruined foreign travel for me at least in the short term. ::bigsmile:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
A firm in Germany called Sig-Sauer make a guaranteed ant theft device. In fact, just show potential villains that you have one through your vehicle window, and they will meekly drive away. ::bigsmile:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
A firm in Germany called Sig-Sauer make a guaranteed ant theft device. In fact, just show potential villains that you have one through your vehicle window, and they will meekly drive away. ::bigsmile:

Ok great but where do I get one before Friday? :Sad:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
A Daily Muck reader by chance? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

But does sensationalist presentation of a story make it less true?

Not taking sides here but each side of the press has it's own agenda and will bias stories towards that agenda.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Ok great but where do I get one before Friday? :Sad:

Just pop into your local gun shop, and buy the air-soft version.....Looks the same, and perfectly legal!! :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back