Barbecues: Gas or charcoal?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Movinon, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Movinon

Movinon Funster

We recently attended the Misterton rally. Great fun and a really impressive barbecue at the end. We thought it might be a good idea to buy a barbecue for our travels but having seen examples of both types being used abroad we are stumped as to which is better - gas or charcoal. Obviously gas is easier but charcoal is the real deal. My question then is not about cooking results but more about preference and prohibition in terms of "I wouldn't cook any other way" and "we were told off for lighting it here".

2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Personally I don't really see the point in gas barbeques.

At home we use a big charcoal Weber which is excellent.

In the van we have a mini weber but rarely use it.

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

gas is convenient but lacks the flavour of cremated meat, you pays your money and makes your choice:ROFLMAO:

• Like Like x 1
  4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Charcoal is the best of course, BUT

We have a gas kettle one as it is so much easier and it will do Pizza and take a pan as well for al fresco cooking.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

My favourite topic.. barbie cooking .. :D..

I have three.. a Large Weber Kettle, a gas Outback.. and a small Go Anywhere Weber for camping

The gas Outback is used more often, almost every day during the summer months , it's is a lot more convenient and the taste is every bit as good as a charcoal barbie.

The Weber Kettle is used when I want to do a long slow cook, like Beer Can Chicken, or to smoke brisket. etc.

For travelling the small gas barbies are excellent.. Weber do a nice Go Anywhere gas model one which I would recommend.. I intend to buy it for next time we go away..

Neither is better than the other.. Gas for convenience.. Charcoal for authentic taste and smoking and doing the 'man' stuff .. .. your choice..

I also have a Cadac .. now behind the shed.. it is a gridle .. not a BBQ ..

6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

We have a big Weber charcoal one at home but for the MH we bought first a Cobb. This can be used on grass or even a table without burning and is easy to clean but we have not been impressed by the flavour it produces as it is really just a charcoal powered hot plate. So we have recently bought one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190905968299

Very cheap and cheerful but it comes with bits of larva rock and so far seems to do a very good job and produces food with a genuine BBQ flavour - i.e. slightly charred!

It is probably made out of recycled dustbins by children in some Chinese prison camp but it is fairly solidly made, I still have my eyebrows and for the price, good value. It also folds up quite small which is a big plus in our little 'van. We are getting an external gas BBQ point added next week so we won't need to take a gas bottle with us.

7. scotjimland

had one very similar.. as you say, cheap and cheerful.. works fine but the gas burner rusted away very quickly, as did the grid.

you can buy replacement burners, but it wasn't worth the expense..

• Like Like x 1
  8. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Ignore the snobbery about gas barbecues and just being an oven. It simply isn't true. It isn't the charcoal that flavours the meat, it is the fats melting off the food and burning as smoke that rises back up. This happens just as well on both gas and charcoal.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Grannyvan

Grannyvan Read Only Funster

When it is very warm and dry many campsites abroad will not allow charcoal BBQ's because of the risk of sparks causing fires

10. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Funster

If you had asked me a couple of weeks back i'd have said Charcoal all the way but having just bought a cadac and fitted a gas point to the motorhome I am a gas convert, so much easier and cleaner and can be used at times when lighting a charcoal barbie would not be appropriate. Cadac is a great bit of kit and probably the best thing I have bought for the motorhome so far.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

we use charcoal bbqs both at home and when away with the motorhome xxxx

12. Bellini

Bellini Funster

We have a Cadac and I don't really view it as a barbecue. It's more of an outdoor stove that looks like a barbecue.

It's got a hotplate, so ideal for alfresco breakfast cooking. And a pizza stone. And a lid. Bit like a large hot plate / oven. But absolutely not a barbecue.

I wouldn't be without it. Fantastically easy to use anywhere and very clean. It's plenty large enough to feed 6 hungry people and very controllable.

But I do miss the smell and atmospherics of charcoal at times.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

We use one like this. Bags of self lighting charcoal are so easy & reliable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOLDING-F...UK_Garden_Cushions_Covers&hash=item27e54801c8

Plus an alluminium ribbed griddle (Ikea) to use on an outside gas ring on the odd occasion when we can't use the real one. Also have a Cadac but don't like it much, it's in the loft I think.
    Have tried various gas bbq's over the years & am not impressed.

14. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Got the big Webber kettle for home, wish I could take it in the van too, got the Webber go outdoors charcoal version for the van, brilliant little barbie and a small Outback gas barbie that takes those disposable gas cylinders ( £1 each in B&M ) for those tinder box European sites, food tastes ok off it but it’s a beggar to clean.

15. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

Preferences aside, on many sites, especially in warmer climates, you are not allowed to use a charcoal BBQ.
    We tend to use a gas BBQ when weather permits.
    Even with a good extractor in the van it's hard to eliminate the smell of cooking fish from permeating the fabric of the van and it tends to linger for days. lol

16. scek

scek Read Only Funster

We went from coal to gas due to many sites not allowing open fires and coal bbq's.
    We made a major blunder in reading peoples recommendations for a Cadac. We bought one and found it to be a great grill for egg and bacon, but as a bbq goes its utter rubbish. We now have a great gas bbq which burns and cremates the meat just like a coal bbq (cant remember its make). We use plenty of bbq flavoured marnade and you cant tell the taste difference between a gas and coal bbq. The marnade gives off loads of good bbq smells whilst cooking.

Main reasons a gas bbq is better - more control over cooking, just plug in quick to the gas point, never had a campsite say we cant use it, dont have to wait for the coals to get hot.

17. scotjimland

I keep saying this.. the Cadac is NOT a barbie.. it is a griddle.. great for cooking bacon and eggs ..

yet it is still described on web sites as :doh:
    Cadac Safari Chef LP Portable Gas Barbecue

• Like Like x 1
  18. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

Gas for us, many people say that they "prefer the charcoal but rarely use it" perhaps that the answer gas is easy and can be used anyware, charcoal has the smell of a "proper BBQ" but is a faff to use - simply personal choice

19. Gooney

Gooney Funster

As already said the Cadac is great for bacon egg sausage and also stir frying, BUT use the BBQ function at your peril, look forward to spending an hour afterwards cleaning the bloody thing(n)

20. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

C'mon! What would be the fun if you didn't spend an hour trying to get the barbie to light properly then spend 30 minutes cremating everything then eating it all in a rush while the barbie finally gets up to temperature and you use it for boiling a pan a water to spend another 30 minutes washing up the smoke and grease ridden mess!!!!!!!! LOL:D:D:D