LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Anyone who wants to ban BBQs from camping needs to "wake up and smell the coffee" (or the bbq ;) )

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
May seen a bit odd to the BBQ fraternity, but my van actually has cooking facilities in it, so why would I want to carry around lumps of metal and a bag of coal. Like going back to the dark ages.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Love BBQ's and have a brick built jobby at home, which is brilliant when we get family and friends around.

When we're out in the van, we don't bother particularly now there's just the 2 of us.

The whole process seems more hassle than it's worth.

Unpacking
Setting up
Lighting
Waiting
Cooking (5 mins)
Cleaning and getting rid of old charcoal ash
Re packing
Storing bbq and charcoal

Life's too short ::bigsmile:

As for adding them to the list of banned items on sites, I think we were at the stage where a list is required to keep a track of "Funsters" recommended banned items.

Welcome to the "Funsters" campsite, please note.........

No.........
Kids
Lone travellers
Smoking
Vaping
BBQs
Generators
Ball games
Toads, trailers or tag axles
Walking on, or near other pitches

A failure to park within the lines (in the correct direction) will result in a £1000 parking eye charge, reduced to £100 if paid within 2 hrs. (This is as serious as stealing apples from a fruit vendor)

Windbreaks welcome

:roflmto:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A day without a barbie is a day without sunshine.. .. being outdoors and getting back to nature is what camping is all about!

If you don't like camping and BBQs... you may as well sell your van and go to an hotel .. :rolleyes:

I don't use my motorhome for "camping", nor do I have a BBQ. I get more than a fair share of sunshine.

But I will not sell my motorhome!

I believe 99% of the problems and concerns voiced in this thread are avoided if you off-site park!

JJ :cool:

PS. Any Funster who visits QMJ (a private, secluded, rural, peaceful, off-site, woodland parking spot in Central Portugal) is welcome to use the following...

BBQs, gennys, stereos and open grey water tanks

They can also have a ride on my 1987 Lawn Flite mower...

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
May seen a bit odd to the BBQ fraternity, but my van actually has cooking facilities in it, so why would I want to carry around lumps of metal and a bag of coal. Like going back to the dark ages.:)

If, having read the comments of barbecue users you don't know why, there is little culinary hope for you i'm afraid :)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We love a BBQ best way to cook food outside, all BBQ`s are ok it`s the people that use them incorrectly that are the problem.
We have a Weber and light it with the weber starter chimney, no lighter fuel, Why would you want your food tasting of that.
Once the coals are ready simply pour into BBQ and close lid, let it come up to temp then add food and close lid, if you are a burger flipper then all the heat will be lost from the BBQ and the added air will cause flare up, so keep the lid closed.
We cook whole chickens, joints of meat, roasted veg, fish etc etc. without all that billowing smoke.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
The most used piece of kit on our Chausson is the Easy Chef built in "barbecue". I know its not the real thing being a gas fired hot plate/griddle jobbie and doesn't make food taste anything like a real barbecue would but its great for cooking duck joints, burgers and steak really fast with no messing.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
The most used piece of kit on our Chausson is the Easy Chef built in "barbecue". I know its not the real thing being a gas fired hot plate/griddle jobbie and doesn't make food taste anything like a real barbecue would but its great for cooking duck joints, burgers and steak really fast with no messing.

Same is true of our Cadac Safari :)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
We always carry some wood and an axe on board and keep an eye out for any bits of kindling on our travels. Make a fire with the wood, once the fire is roaring, add charcoal. No solvents required. Save lumps of charcoal for next BBQ.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with everyone who says if it uses gas it is not a BBQ. BBQ needs to burn some form of wood.

I don't carry one because it is a lot of hassle for a solo traveller. However if I get friends round I buy a couple of the disposable jobbies. They are crap but get the job done.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
So, to summarise...

Some of us like BBQs, some of us don't
Some of us have to do it with charcoal and some of us don't
Some of us like a real fire and some of us don't
Some of us like a drink and some of us don't

But BASICALLY we are all happy for everyone to do what they like best - SO ALL GOOD THEN :):):)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
maybe the outdoor life isnt for the OP
If he has had three and not used any of them, I think he's answered his own question really.
We have a cadac and used it twice , so just get some disposables now if and when required(y)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I also love the smell of other campers cooking bacon in the morning.

Many moons ago, my wife and I were roughing it in Rhodesia and our favourite place was the Wankie Game Reserve (yes, that WAS it's name then - now Hwange Game Park - just north of Bulawayo.
Our finances were rock bottom and our food intake was frugal to say the least.
Our favourite breakfast routine was to watch the foreign safari visitors having their breakfast, cooked for them over the coals, and then when they had left, we slapped our slices of bread on the grill where the bacon had been cooked.
Such luxury

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I'm rather sensitive to airborn pollution of the smokey kind but I understand that people like to have barbecues so I try to be tolerant about it. Breathing in smoke or fumes can affect some people and not others, so to say that it's not a problem because it's not a problem for you personally is to take a rather narrow view. However, what I find strange is those folk who, having cooked their meal, leave the barbecue to carry on smoldering pointlessly and thus maximise the potential discomfort of others. Apparently I am expected to show a degree of tolerance and consideration towards them which they do not find it necessary to reciprocate. As for avoiding campsites, I've seen barbecues used on aires.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Gas BBQ rules in the Badknee household, can't be arsed with faffing around with a bag full of burnt tree every time I want a slab of dead animal cooking.;):LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Well you can all save weight when you come down here as they are banned whether at home or camping , along with any other sort of fire , from May 1st to October 31st. Legally you can't even smoke outside on your own land.
In many of the inland site seeing areas where they have brick built barbecues most councils are removing them to prevent people from using them out of season.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
One of the great pleasures for us in motorhoming is being able to cook outside - our preference is gas, but that is our choice. I am extremely aware of the potential for disrupting other people's space, but with a gas Webber, we cook with the lid down for 90 % of the cooking and have no problems with excess smoke etc.

The pleasure we get from outside cooking for breakfast, lunch or dinner is a major part of our motorhoming life.

Even at home we cook outside as much as possible - simple pleasures.

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Folks what you need is a "out door chef city grill" their the dogs. Check them out on the web mine cooks perfect bbq's and roasts chickens pork and beef for Sunday dinner and jacket spuds.....
It says in the instructions you can bake a cake bet you could.(never tried)
5deg windy cliff top joint of pork for 6 done in 2 hrs easy. It appears the more wind the better.
My pal was so impressed he's got one in his garden and cooks dinner in the winter on it for the house table. Cooks it better than a oven he says. Some thing to do with the funnel system.
Got a griddle pan with ours for the breakfast

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back