Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Nope, not for me.

I can't determine wind direction but I do have to eat.
Oh ma heid Chris, lick your thumb or drop a feather(other lightweight objects allowed) then wind direction is easy. (y) Or, big orange wind sock thingy.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
mines always determined by which direction I'm facing, especially after all that charcoal.:love:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Oh ma heid Chris, lick your thumb or drop a feather(other lightweight objects allowed) then wind direction is easy. (y) Or, big orange wind sock thingy.

What I meant was I cant control wind direction so I don't consider it before lighting the BBQ(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I was surprised to see a fella doing his breakfast in those high winds the other day, must of taken an age.Smoke didn't hang around though. WHOOSH !

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Not sure I'd park next to this fella though :ROFLMAO:
life-ambulance-huge-grill.jpg

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
What I meant was I cant control wind direction so I don't consider it before lighting the BBQ(y)
Ask Tootles, how to control wind direction ;)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We have actually purchased three barbecues over a couple of years on the basis of one being better than the last,however, we have never used any!! When it actually comes to getting it out I just can't be bothered with the hassle and we have had both Gas/Charcoal.

I personally think it's all overrated but the biggest bugbear for me is the smoke,stink,smell, particularly if it's fish being scorched! That you are inflickting on your neighbors I would hate to do it to others since I cannot tolerate it myself.

We were on a site this year when a barbecue had a 3' chimney affair sat atop of it presumably to draw it in order to get it going,it was the same as a steam train smoke smothered about 20 MH's/Caravans and nobody spoke to him,we were eating out and saw it on our way off site.

Why smoke people out,stink people out and ruin good meat?

You say you have never used any of the three you bought so how can you conclude they are over rated. As to smoke stink and smells a considerately used barbecue causes no offence or discomfort to others.

A barbecue used properly will not ruin good meat there is nothing to beat a well barbecued steak and a joint of lamb or a chicken can be superb. Fish also cooks very well too.

I use a barbecue burning charcoal all year round and do not stink anyone out, perhaps you could ask someone who knows what they are doing to show you the way to use it, but if you can't be bothered with the hassle perhaps not.

No offence intended, but not having tried using a barbe or eating food prepared on one does not put you in a position to comment, although it is perfectly understandable that others using one inconsiderately nearby would be annoying to you and indeed anyone, barbecue user not.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I personally think it's all overrated but the biggest bugbear for me is the smoke,stink,smell, particularly if it's fish being scorched! That you are inflickting on your neighbors I would hate to do it to others since I cannot tolerate it myself.

12243130_1131902060213002_8289710932563255036_n.jpg

popcorn_jon_stewart.gif

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I think it's really poor that someone would light a barbecue without giving some consideration to whether it would be unpleassnt for others or not caring whether their enjoyment is ruined. Hardly fun is it. I wonder if they would be upset if a nearby adversely affected camper emptied his fire bucket by throwing the contents without regard as to whether the water landed on said barbecue.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Assuming we are talking about charcoal BBQ's and not Cadacs/other gas type imitations I'd suggest that the quickest , least smoky , least smelly way of getting a good cooking heat going is to use one of the prewrapped preimpregnated:eek:1 kg bags of charcoal you can get from supermarkets...usually in packs of four. More expensive ...yes slightly, but in my [long] experience light quickly even in adverse [ rain/wind/both] conditions and don't make your food taste of BBQ lighter fuel:cry:.

Even better if conditions are good [no wind /rain/neighbours etc etc] is to make a small starter wood fire followed by virgin charcoal which gives much the same result but is slower...more time to enjoy a few more glasses of Shiraz/Pinot Grigio/whatever takes your fancy before you have to start cooking.

The main thing is that charcoal needs to be involved somewhere along the line...:)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You say you have never used any of the three you bought so how can you conclude they are over rated
And more to the point... You bought the first but never used it so you bought a second and never used that either....then to top it all you buy a third and never used that either.

My question is....WHY do you keep buying them ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Used to have the odd barbeque when the kids were kids as they really liked it.
We don't have one now as SWMBO isn't keen and doesn't let me do any cooking (possibly wise). We have got an electric griddle thingy which we use if we are on a hookup and the weather is suitable.
I do like the smell of other peoples barbeques though as long as the smell is of charcoal and food and not bbq lighting fluid..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Now I know why I keep well away from any form of site .:LOL: Never understood why anyone barbecues. 2 of my B-in-laws can't pass up any opportunity to have one.On the rare occasions that we went up to Essex that'd be the first words out of their mouths. :LOL:

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think one of the first things we bought for our van was a BBQ, a proper one, none of that gas nonscence, used it a few times, always make sure the smoke isn't blowing into anyone's van, few sausages, steak and chicken and pepper skewers, lovely!

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
It's never occurred to me that a BBQ could be considered offensive or unpleasant. It's part of campsite life, to be expected and tolerated if not enjoyed. Same with general noise, kids playing and people generally having a good time.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I regularly use a weber Smokey Joe ( no pun intended) it cooks meat beautifully. I have tried gas bbq's in the past but still prefer the Smokey Joe which uses proper charcoal which I prefer. I also now and again get hold of some oak or hickory chippings, soak them in water and add them to the side of the cokes when smoking fish, mackerel hot smoke cooked like this is out of this world and even better when you have caught the fish yourself.
As so many have mentioned on here, if done right then the food is fantastic, as is the smell of the food cooking.
One thing I don't understand with the original quote from the op is how can you buy 3 bbq's, each purchase made to upgrade the previous one , if it's never been out of the box. But then again, if bbq's are so offensive, why buy 3. It seems to me that it sounds too much trouble for someone.
I myself and my family love bbq's, the smell of bbq food being cooked and if I smell one whilst out camping, immediately want to get smokey Joe out at the next opportunity. The only time I consider my neighbours is if they have washing out, then I just let them know I intend to bbq's at some stage once their washing is dry. Ban bbq's because someone can't be bothered to make the effort??? Or is someone trying to convince SWMBO she doesn't like the smelly things, 'cos someone can't be bothered to make the effort?
Go on, give it a try.....you may even like it. ;-)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I must admit that on site I do use the light in the bag charcoal which doesn't create any smoke really.

At home I use firefighters and that does smoke like hell ( usually in the direction of my wife's freshly pegged out washing)

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I think it's really poor that someone would light a barbecue without giving some consideration to whether it would be unpleassnt for others or not caring whether their enjoyment is ruined. Hardly fun is it. I wonder if they would be upset if a nearby adversely affected camper emptied his fire bucket by throwing the contents without regard as to whether the water landed on said barbecue.
Been there,done that but it was a bucket of washing up water not a fire bucket as I'm sure others who were at Chester will testify and no I had no regard to the owner whatsoever....it annoyed me so I put it out!:LOL:

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie
I do wonder sometimes if Motorhome Fun is the correct name for this forum.
You get people griping about everything that we do in the countryside for enjoyment.......and I guess some of these end up as site wardens....ha-ha.
It seems everything I enjoy motorhoming for is going to upset one of my neighbours.......I have dogs (2), I love BBQ's - nowadays gas type, quicker and easier (Cadac), I also have a loud motorbike, but not yet got a trailer to take that around with me.......also enjoy a drink, etc.....
I love this forum and look at it most days, but do feel some people need to chill more and just get on with life......

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a small cadac which we use on every occasion we can (when it's warm enough)
Still thinking about getting a son of hibachi though .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back