Barbecue yes/no

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Littlewheels, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Littlewheels

Littlewheels Funster

We have actually purchased three barbecues over a couple of years on the basis of one being better than the last,however, we have never used any!! When it actually comes to getting it out I just can't be bothered with the hassle and we have had both Gas/Charcoal.

I personally think it's all overrated but the biggest bugbear for me is the smoke,stink,smell, particularly if it's fish being scorched! That you are inflickting on your neighbors I would hate to do it to others since I cannot tolerate it myself.

We were on a site this year when a barbecue had a 3' chimney affair sat atop of it presumably to draw it in order to get it going,it was the same as a steam train smoke smothered about 20 MH's/Caravans and nobody spoke to him,we were eating out and saw it on our way off site.

Why smoke people out,stink people out and ruin good meat?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Gas BBQ and a twin ring cooker with grill. Both plug into side of van and work brilliantly, smoke, burned food? Your doing it wrong. (n)

• Like Like x 6
  3. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Nothing worse than a badly run barbecue. I'm on an American BBQ forum and it's transformed my idea of barbecue. Us Brits have a get together in the summer at Woodhall Spa campsite every year, and you won't eat tastier food anywhere, and not a cremated sausage or raw in the middle chicken leg in sight (y)

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

This. Whilst a BBQ is pretty simple, if you don't know what you're doing then it can be quite easy to get it wrong.

My own personal view is that gas BBQ's are the devil's work and should not be called a BBQ, more an outside cooker. However, the more I see and use them, especially the big ones that can cater for 100 people, I do see how beneficial they can be.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Geordies

Geordies Funster

We won't have one ourselves, but are willing to eat well prepared food from a bbq if some one else is cooking (we'll bring the beers) !!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

What's this cooking food on a BBQ all about?:eek: Is it not Beer Bucket Quick!:confused:

7. Littlewheels

Littlewheels Funster

The main point is doing it on a site and inflicting it upon your neighbors I don't think they should be allowed really,after all you are pretty much on top of each other.

8. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

I agree - badly setup BBQ's that smoke out everyone are not nice.

But setup correctly should not be a problem for anyone.

Besides, us brits love a BBQ, why would you want to stop one. I'd rather that people that don't like BBQ's stay indoors rather than ban them.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

Why can't someone invent a tandoor oven for motorhomes? I would be the first in the queue if it's anything like as good as the one I have at home. That takes two hours to heat up and several hours to cool down as well as weighing a ton so it's not suitable for the van, but crikey, it makes the best tandoori lamb chops and chicken tikka you've ever tasted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

Isn't caravanning/motorhoming all about outdoor living? sitting outside eating and drinking and having a good old time? Isn't outdoor cooking / bbq ing all part of it? The last thing I'm going to worry about in this respect is the bloke next to me. They can always go in and shut their windows.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Hope that you are not serious.

• Like Like x 3
  12. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Is this about BBQ in general or you moaning about BBQ on site?

13. Daveo2006

Oh I'm serious alright, and the last thing i want to look at is the person sat there scowling at others because I'm doing something they don't like.I pay for my pitch and stick to the rules. Whats your problem with that?

• Like Like x 5
  14. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I don't have issues with BBQs but it seems strange that you don't care that you are smoking someone out and ruining their enjoyment.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Littlewheels

Littlewheels Funster

On site.

And to other replies that say go inside and shut the windows and such remarks, why.

We should be able to live in harmony,this requires give and take but inflicting your behavior on others with the retort go indoors,shut the doors whilst I do what l like is not harmonious.

I'm simply saying if the smell and smoke interferes with close neighbors it shouldn't be allowed and in my opinion it shouldn't be allowed. It's not like we're camping in the wilderness,were on site.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Daveo2006

ng of smoking anyone out, i said "Isn't caravanning/motorhoming all about outdoor living? sitting outside eating and drinking and having a good old time? Isn't outdoor cooking / bbq ing all part of it? The last thing I'm going to worry about in this respect is the bloke next to me. They can always go in and shut their windows."

• Like Like x 1
  17. Daveo2006

I said nothing of smoking anyone out

18. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Doing what on site and inflicting what? Cooking BBQ style is great if you can do it; let's face it, it's not rocket science. What you should be complaining about is folks not cooking properly, not BBQ in general. Let's have a go at sh!te cooks, not BBQ(y)

• Like Like x 7
  19. Daveo2006

Yes we could live in harmony if people live and let live, I'm sure you do things that irritate the hell out of people as do we all.

• Like Like x 2
  20. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

We were at Shell Island in September, you couldn't get away from the smell of bbq lighter fluid, never use the stuff myself.

• Like Like x 1